A twinkle in contrast to the sky

Paper cranes

Taehyung never took off the necklace he had received from Hoseok for one of his birthdays, not only because it was from him, but also because it had a tad more special meaning for him than just a birthday present. It wasn’t anything too flashy or expensive, it was a six-angled start which had another smaller star engraved on the inside of it. When he first received it he thought that Hoseok had just liked the accessory, but after reading the little card that came with it he remembered what had happened few weeks before his birthday.

-Flashback-

 

“Just one question: Are you okay?”

“Well, mister sarcastic--pants, I can insure you that I am and that YOU are a scaredy-cat.”

“WELL, mister… forget the sarcasm Hoseok, do you really think it would be safe?”

“How should I know? It’s the first time I’m running away from home in the middle of the night to go chase some stars, as cheesy as that sounds, and unfortunately for you - you are coming with me.” Hoseok grinned at his friend, showing him all of his teeth which were so white and bright you could say they could light up Taehyung’s pitch black room.

“And how did you get in my room through the window at 2am…? Wait actually nevermind, I don’t think I want to know that.” Taehyung said and rubbed his temples, sensing that he had to just accept the thought that he won’t be getting any of his beauty sleep, especially after seeing how much bigger Hoseok’s smile got.

“Come on, you wouldn’t want to wake up your parents right?” Taehyung stiffened at his words a bit because Hoseok was right and at that time the latter still wasn’t aware of exactly what kind of people Taehyung’s parent(s) were,so he just quickly put on some comfortable clothes and a snapback and followed Hoseok out of the window. But really, I wasn’t lying when I said they were going to be chasing some stars. A meteor shower was supposed to occur at around 2:46am and they had to look for a clearer place where they could properly see the night sky. Although they were no older than 15 back then, they successfully took a taxi to the outskirts of Seoul without the taxi driver asking them what are they doing outside so late after the curfew and was the last straw that made Taehyung finally shut up about how what they are doing is not acceptable blah blah. Frankly, he was just as excited.

While the 20 minute drive lasted, Taehyung yet again got lost in his own train of thoughts. When he first found out that a rich family was moving next doors he imagined Hoseok to be a lot of things like for example a snobby, spoiled kid who cared about nothing but himself or a quiet, reserved and smart kid who only cared about his studies. Hoseok was definitely neither of those, Taehyung never expected him to be such an adventurous, free-spirited and truly interesting person whilst being one of the smartest people he knew. Over the years, Taehyung noticed that Hoseok didn’t like too much repetitiveness, he was daring and brave enough to risk to break some rules if that meant he could explore. All of their sudden, unplanned adventures were a result of Hoseok’s ideas and his amazing talent to sweet talk everyone into convincing them to join him, Taehyung being his most used ‘victims’. Right now Taehyung was more surprised at himself for being surprised at all, after all, that was Hoseok's idea and he trusted him.

 

“What are you thinking about?”

“You.” Taehyung said without thinking and that wasn’t a lie.

“I know, I know, I’m irresistible even when I’m so close to you, aren’t I?” Hoseok said while making a ridiculous pose to which Taehyung could only try his best not to cringe or puke for that matter. And he could swear that he saw the taxi driver making a face after Hoseok’s words.

“And how has mister Irresistible planned to get us back in Seoul before 6am?” Taehyung snorted.

“What makes you think I have planned something?” Hoseok said calmly, as if the whole situation wasn’t a lot more dangerous for him, because if his parents found out they would probably just send him to the army immediately or something similar. Taehyung wanted to punch his best friend for being so irresponsible at times, but he only sighed and they stayed in silence for the rest of the ride.

 

Even if Taehyung had tried, he would probably fail to express what kind of feelings went through his entire body during the next three hours. They found a field where they could sit down and neither of them were able to take off their eyes off the sky even for a second. They kept watching the little lights up there move with an impossible speed and they held their breaths until the next one showed up and went away again. Taehyung felt he insides buzzing with excitement every time he saw something twinkle in contrast of the dusk sky.  They didn’t talk much, but they mutually felt each other’s excitement and happiness, happiness they didn’t expect to find in such an activity at such time. But those three hours felt like barely few seconds and neither of them wanted the night to be over, but they knew it couldn't continue forever. After finally deciding to stand up and go, they were both grinning from ear to ear.

Finding a taxi was hard, but they were lucky to be living in Seoul so it wasn’t impossible. They were both dead tired, but content and happy at the same time.

 

“Actually… It was my first time seeing a shooting star.” Taehyung said while blushing a little, because he felt even more like a child.

“For me too.” Hoseok said and immediately made the other feel better.

“Thank you Hoseok for tonight and making me come with you, I don’t regret it at all.”

“Then I hope you will listen to me from the beginning the next time and won’t be such a whiny brat!” Hoseok said and ruffled the boy’s hair who only made a face at the words “next time”, but the feeling of happiness overwhelmed any other emotions he felt right now.

 

For Taehyung the necklace represented two things: the night where both of them decided to break the rules and run away, experiencing a lot of “first times”, and also the two of them. The small star was Taehyung himself while Hoseok was the bigger one. Taehyung always felt like this - surrounded with Hoseok’s existence and in a way being protected by him. So that night Taehyung reminisced about that night and as much as he hated it he cried while holding onto the tiny necklace. He knew it was inevitable, he had always known that they were too different and it was given that it would be an obstacle for them to continue being friends the same way as they have always been. Earlier this day Hoseok had told him that his parents had already bought him a plane ticket and there wasn’t much time left until he got his diploma and exams scores plus some other documents sorted and he had to leave. It wasn’t as far away as it was planned, Hoseok was going to study in China, but to Taehyung any place outside Seoul felt impossibly far away. Hoseok was going to be out of his reach and to the younger it felt like his entire world was about to crumble and fall, so he allowed himself to cry. Maybe it wasn’t the time to tell him about his feelings, they were only going to end up bothering Hoseok and get in his way of freeing himself from Seoul. And Taehyung didn’t want that, he wanted Hoseok to be able to experience a lot of things while there  and if that meant that he had to hide his feelings, he could do that. But just for tonight he didn't try to conceal and hide his tears, he cursed and sobbed into his pillow until sleep finally took over his exhaused body.

 


A/N Woo, It's up!! I had a lof of fun while writing/editing this chapter, mostly because none of it was planned, none of the actions were in my head before I opened my Word document, my fingers were just writing themselves :D It's always so interesting for me to read your thoughts about every update I put because it gives me the opportunity to 'see' it from your point of view, so really thank you for reading and commenting, it always means the world to me ♥
Also, i'm sorry if there are some blurry parts (?), it makes sense to me because I know what I have meant to write (lol), but if there are parts that don't seem to make sense to you or have way too many mistakes please let me know so I can edit them out!! ;u;
 

Now allow me to add a gif that has nothing to do with the chapter, but just because, as picture of the day ♥