Personalized cupcake

Paper cranes

 

Over the years, Taehyung had spent a lot of his time wondering what was it so intriguing about Hoseok. What it was about him that never failed to make Taehyung notice almost every movement of his, the way he talked, how he would transform into a different person every time Taehyung and his wellbeing was involved, how he disliked loud music yet was in the school’s choir for years and such. Then after many thoughts given, Taehyung would just conclude that there was way too much about Hoseok and that’s why it always kept the younger’s mind busy. They were a lot older now – Taehyung was seventeen and Hoseok was eighteen, ready to enter his last year of high school. Throughout the years they remained best friends and even though Hoseok’s parents never really approved that, he frankly didn’t care at all. It took time and a lot of rash decisions, but now whenever they felt lucky they would meet sometime after school and go have fun, although ‘fun’ was quite objective since both of them had quite a different perspective of what fun actually was. Since Hoseok was mostly chained to either his studies or practice, he hardly ever had the chance to relax and not think about complicated stuff. Usually at times like those Taehyung would be the good friend he is and agree to go see some loud, supposedly comedic movie at the movie theater since Hoseok loved them a lot. Taehyung didn’t like loud places per so, nor the obnoxious comedy movies, so at times they would only stroll along the downtown park and just sit on the grass and talk about nothing and everything, whatever the mood was.

 

“Why are you sulking?”

“I’m not.”

“Then why are you avoiding me?”

“Shut up, I’m trying to study.”

“And since when do you study?” Hoseok snorted and Taehyung felt as if a hole was being burnt at the back of his head. But no, he was one really stubborn donkey.

“Mind your own business, Student Body President.”

“You are jealous.” Hoseok simply said and it bugged Taehyung to no end, because he knew he was right.

“Why should I be?”

“I know, I know I’m an idiot for forgetting and going out with my classmates, but you’ve been sulking for the last two days and I don’t know what else I can do.”

What happened was that Hoseok completely forgot about the opening of a new café, about which Taehyung spent like three weeks talking about and saving up money with the intention to buy every cake and cupcake his heart desired, and since Hoseok was so used to him never shutting up about it he actually forgot the opening date, even though they promised to check it out together. Taehyung’s one and only passion was sweets and mind you, he was really offended.

“It’s ok, I heard it was not that good anyway…” Taehyung mumbled like a little child and tried to hide a pout and miserably failed. You could never tell he was actually seventeen, he had the attitude of a child ninety percent of the time. Hoseok tried to, emphasis on tried to, but couldn’t contain a giggle and ruffled the younger’s hair because he knew he couldn’t stay mad for long.

“You would think you would have the decency to at least look guilty.”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry I promise to try and listen to you from now on.” And before Taehyung could throw another fit Hoseok shushed his mouth and told him to close his eyes.

“What?”

“Do it.”

And Taehyung obeyed. After some rustling sounds and what seemed like metal cackling Hoseok told him to open his eyes.

“Happy birthday Taehyung.”

“Those are? Are those what I think they are…”

“It wasn’t easy begging the owner to make them again even though they were all sold out, but you know how charming I am, right?” Hoseok said softly and handed a bag to Taehyung. Inside were a selection of the best six cupcakes from that exact café, with a little bit of personalization here and there like Taehyung’s initials or other extra decorations. Hoseok grinned at the wild expression and the suppressed noise that Taehyung made because he couldn’t lie that he was proud of his choice of a present, even though he was two hours early.

“It even has my favorite necklace drawn…Okay, you’re forgiven now.” Taehyung smiled just like the Cheshire cat and completely ignored his best friend after that since he was too busy trying to savour their taste, but Hoseok didn’t really mind since he finally managed to make Taehyung smile again. He ruffled his hair again and quietly made his way out of Taehyung’s room, trying to wake up anyone, including his own parents while climbing up his room. It was really rash and dangerous of them to meet like this, but Hoseok didn’t even ask and just barged into Taehyung’s room at 22pm, knowing that his friend was still sulking, but birthdays were their little tradition.

And if it was you, would you blame Taehyung’s racing heartbeat? Or the little, almost invisible but still there blush? Would you blame him that he fell asleep only after holding onto his special necklace, the same as it was drawn on the cupcake, which was a present from Hoseok? You probably can since they are labeled as best friends. But Taehyung felt different. He loved Hoseok a lot more than he loved himself. He shouldn’t, but he did, he had have for quite a while. So maybe that could explain somewhat rationally why did such small details about Hoseok never go unnoticed by the younger, maybe because at some time his affection grew into something a lot deeper than he could ever imagine. He knew it was wrong and that he should never let his feelings take over him, yet no matter how hard he tried sometimes he would let himself be overflown, just like tonight.