Reminiscence

Reminiscence

***

written in Woohyun POV (point of view)

 

I was born with what one can call a gift and other a curse. Either way, I am special. When I touch something or someone I can see the past of that particular object or a person. At first, I thought I was the only one who could do that but a few years back I've finally found a companion. He is a little different than me, though. I use touch to challenge my power, he uses his eyes. His name is Kim Kibum, but he usually goes by Key. It's easier to remember, especially for the foreign people and it has a nice ring to it. He says he is the key to the past, the one that can open the doors to your memories. I admit, it is pretty powerful catch phrase and it brings in many clients. 

 

Before I've met Key, I was just wandering from one place to another without a clear purpose. He changed my life. Since we both have a similar ability, he suggested we start a business together. There are people who wish to forget their past, but you would be suprised how many of them actually want to relive certain moments. So that's when we come in. Sometimes we even help with investigations for difficult cases, when the crimes are too serious with not enough leads to solve them.

 

Key is the one, who does most of these. The victims or witnesses are usually schocked by what happened and so they can't remember the details clearly. Sometimes, they can't remember at all. What Key does is, that he looks into your eyes and he can see all of what you've seen. He can either go and see only for himself (that's what he does with the victims and witnesses to protect them) or he can sort of hypnotise you so you can see it too - just like a movie. That's why he has more clients. Most of the people just want to see. They just want to be reminded and I can't do that.

 

My ability is a little more... complex? I bring back the feelings as well. I tried channeling it all to me but it doesn't work. I carry the heavier part of the burden but there is still a portion of feelings, that belong just to the person itself and I can't take that upon myself. You see, even happy memories hurt because they remind you of what was, but will never be again. People who come to remember, come because what they have in their memories is already lost and can't be experienced again. It's usually the moments with their loved ones, who passed away or lovers who broke up... There is regret, anger, greed, desperation, remorse... And it's hard to face such emotions. That's why they mostly want to only see. They experienced it once, they know how it feels and now, they just want to remember.

 

However, sometimes it's not people who possess the memories, sometimes it's things... And that's when I come in. They don't have eyes so Key's ability doesn't work on them but I can touch them. I can see. It's very hard, though and I don't like to do it. As I've already said with people, part of their feelings remain within them but with the objects, they don't have emotions so I feel everything, that everyone who touched that thing felt. I am usually a mess afterwards.

 

Nothing in this world comes without a price. We consume time to return to the past, but there must be something of an equal value given back. So we give away our life force. Even though we are very similar to humans, we age differently. Actually, we don't age at all and I think, we might be immortal if we had never used our powers. I don't know how much it takes away, I don't how much I have left but we have already lived much longer than normal people do and I don't think anyone would want to live forever. It's too painful, too hard. 

 

Moreover, it is really not easy to go back. Key gets headaches. Awful ones. And I... I am usually out for a couple of days at least. I don't pass out per se but I am really weak and I need to stay in bed. Or puke my guts out. Depends on the strenght of emotions I had to go through. Key always takes care of me then. 

 

We are kinda together. I don't know if he was into males before, but I certainly wasn't. I didn't even think it was possible for me to like a man. But if you live as long as I had without nobody by your side, you would understand how lonely it can get. He is the only one who knows how I feel. He is the only one who can understand me. The more time I was with him, the more I realized I can't imagine my life without him by my side any longer. It took me a long time to realize, that what I feel for him... that what I can feel for him is more than just friendship. I had not said anything to him but he somehow figured it out. It's as if he was waiting for me to come around. So our relationship changed.

 

At first, I thought it's a good thing but now I am not so sure. It makes it even harder to watch him suffer, to see him smile and pretend he is okay for the sake of our clients when I know, that his head is about to explode... and they always demand more! They always want to watch for longer and all I want to do is tear them to pieces. Can't you see it's hurting him? And now, there is this difficult case to solve and of course, they asked for Key's help again. He's been in the police station for three hours already and still hasn't come back. I worry so much about him, it makes me sick. 

 

I really need to work harder on my ability. I need to take some load off his shoulders. I can't watch him anymore. Not like this.

 

***

The memory is the only thing, nobody can take away from you. 

... so remember ...

... when you are about to forget...

***

to be continued

 

a/n: Thank you for reading. Please subscribe to the story and leave a comment :) I apologize for a long wait for this fic. I will try to work harder. 

p.s.: I have my finals coming up, that's why my updates are not so often and the chapters are shorter, but please bear with me for one more month and then I shall work very hard to update often and make you all happy readers :3

(btw I have a twitter: https://twitter.com/dionfortune so if you want to know, when I will update or get some hints at what is gonna happen in the fics, please follow me ^_^ I don't give away too much, don't worry. - but I do spazz over random stuff so consider yourself warned)

 

~ PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO UPVOTE. THANK YOU. *BOWS* ~