Chapter 6

This Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was lunch time the next day and you and your friends were seated at the same spot by the wide open field. It was a nice day and you three were lounging along the seats.

“It’s the perfect weather to go on a date,” Yoora sighed as she tilted her head up to the sun while closing her eyes.

Hwami nodded next to you, “It’s already been a month into school and none of us have a boyfriend yet.” She side eyed Yoora, “Isn’t that a record for you Yoora?” she asked cheekily.

Yoora didn’t move but threw the candy wrapper she had bunched in her hands at Hwami. “You be quiet. I’m already in a good mood and I don’t want you to mess it up.”

“And what has put our cynical and negative friend in such a good mood?” Hwami asked in a monotone voice.

“Wouldn’t you like to know?” Yoora cast the question away easily.

Hwami shrugged her shoulders before turning to you, “The monthly performances are at the end of the month, have you been chosen to put on a show for us Jejudo?”

Yoora hit her friend’s shoulder, “Yah, you should keep asking me what happened that made me happy instead of just giving up so easily.”

“Then you should have answered me when I asked in the first place,” Hwami rolled her eyes and you smiled. These two always teased each other so naturally which proved their years of friendship. You sometimes felt intimidated by it and made you hesitant to join in.

Adding to that, you three were in different programs which was somewhat rare at your school. Students here tended to stick together with others in the same field with a delicate hierarchy in place that you were still unfamiliar with. Cliques were properly established and your friends were an outlier group that broke away from that. It was right in front of you when you were in class with your classmates huddled together and talking about things while you put distance between them and yourself.

“The trainees are so stuck up,” Yoora glared at a group of girls who walked by talking loudly and obnoxiously. The looks they were shooting to a group of boys who were goofing off on the field was very noticeable and obvious.

“They are.” Hwami agreed as she shot a disapproving look at the same group of girls.

You couldn’t help but agree.  Just as there were a few celebrity students, there were even more who claimed to be trainees. These students tended to brag whenever they could about their statuses and which entertainment agency they were in.

“The chances of debuting and hitting it big is slim to none these days.” Yoora flicked her hair, still eyeing them disapprovingly.

Unfortunately, one of the girls saw you three and you recognized her from one of your dancing class. “Taeri! Hi Taeri!” you froze for a second and watched as she waved at you excitedly and made her way over to you guys. Yoora snorted and Hwami frowned. “I was looking for you yesterday,” the girl smiled at you as she sat down next to you. Her friends stood next to her and their eyes had a mocking tint in them.

“Umm,” you awkwardly smiled, “My brother picked me up early yesterday.”

Her smile only got wider, “So that was your brother you were talking to by the doors?” She sent a look at her friends who giggled.

You kept the smile on your face, “You mean that guy? No, he was just asking for directions.”

“That guy?” one of the girls dropped the act and put her hands on her hips. “That guy happens to be Jimin oppa from Bangtan Boys as if you didn’t know.” The girls standing next to her nodded their heads and shared a look that raised your defenses.

“Oh,” you looked at the girl who said this, “Sorry. I didn’t know,” you were trying to prevent this from turning ugly.

One of the girls rolled her eyes before you finished speaking, “What did you and Jimin oppa even talk about?”

Before you could answer, Yoora stood up, “Okay, I have had enough of this,” she glared at the girls. “Why don’t you guys back off?” Her glare moved to you, “And you, don’t apologize to them.”

Hwami stood up too leaving you and your classmate the only ones sitting, “Are we supposed to even know who that is?”

Your classmate joined her friends, all pretenses gone now. “Our Bangtan oppas won the rookie of the year award in many award shows.”

Yoora scoffed, “I don’t keep track of rookie groups that have debuted after 2010, sorry.” She didn’t seem apologetic at all. Suddenly, she reached down to pull you up and you sighed as she did so. “And that guy was most likely hitting on our Jejudo. She’s already popular with the boys here and I’m positive that guy was defenseless against her looks.” She stressed your earlier choice of words while mocking the girls. You looked away awkwardly. “So take your jealous and insecure personalities away before you waste more of our time with useless and pointless words.”

A few of the girls’ mouths were wide open while the others only glared more deeply. You smiled at them apologetically since it wasn’t your first time seeing Yoora go at someone so strongly.

“You don’t know anything,” one of them huffed out.

“And I guess you do, right?” Hwami stepped up, “I bet you’re one of those obsessed fans who knows everything about their precious oppas.”

The bell rang cutting off the standoff. None of you moved to go for a minute until one of them nudged the speaker of the group, “Let’s just go. We’ll deal with them later.”

With one last glare they turned around and walked away with their heads held high.

“See you in class Aerim.” The girl turned to look at you with a blank look before turning back. She must have detected the slight sarcasm in your dismissal.

Hwami wordlessly held out her hand and Yoora high fived her. She turned to do the same to you next and you enthusiastically did the same.

“Tell me that girl at dancing,” Yoora grabbed you by the shoulders as she stared into your eyes seriously. Reluctantly, you nodded a little, feeling a little bad about it despite what just happened. A smile spread across her face and she held out her own hand to you and you slapped her hand with yours. “Nice farewell to that girl too. We’re rubbing off on you Jejudo.”

“I’m not sure if that’s a good thing,” Hwami smiled at you two as you began to gather your trash.

Yoora laughed, “Yeah, I guess you’re right Hwami.” She helped you clean up your spot, “At least one of us has to be nice.”

You two threw the wrappers and water bot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter