Chapter 11

This Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Back in your class, you became a different kind of student. You were a normal student taking notes while your attention darted to your teacher to your notebook. He was talking really fast and it was difficult to keep up but he had warned all of his students of his way of teaching. Because regular classes filled with math, Korean, sciences, and literature only had up to three days a school week, the lessons were fast paced. You saw it as a challenge while your classmates saw it as an outlet to complain.

Seeing as SOPA was an arts school, you can see why they would not want to deal with these kinds of classes. There were times when you shared their sentiments but colleges did have standards of education and requirements must be met before any student could be admitted to any college or university. And you had your eye on a few top Korean schools.

As you copied notes in your color coded pens for specific information, you felt you were prepared for the upcoming tests. For these classes at least.

Your dance classes were much more difficult with the physical energy you had to exert in order not to only keep in shape, but to keep up in the many choreographies you were expected to perfect and memorize. But the most trying of those particular classes was your main focus, the traditional dancing. With tomorrow being Friday, your class would be expected to perform in front of the whole school in the main auditorium.

You were nervous and excited for the event like you usually were but this was going to be a lot more different than any past events you’ve performed at. The audience wouldn’t be composed of fawning parents and grandparents. No, it would be composed of bored students in their teens who could give little thought or attention to your dance of specialty. The students would most likely be waiting for the hip hop dancing or even the singing done by the seniors of the school.

Before Friday was even here, your dance class was at a disadvantage as far as playing to the interest of your peers. But that was something you had accepted a long time ago. You couldn’t make them like your dancing. You knew that your dancing would appeal more to adults at a later age. That was who your target audience was. All of your past teachers had reiterated that fact since your first dance lessons. That was something you had to expect with only the hope that one day it would change.

With the final dismissal from the teacher, you started to pack up. As you exited the room to head to your door, you felt a hand on your arm, “Taeri?”

You looked to your side and recognized the face, “Jooae?”

She smiled tentatively at you, “I just had to ask you something quick.” She pulled you to the side of the hallway. When you two were out of the way of the hallway traffic, she leaned close to you to whisper, “Do you have your hanbok ready for tomorrow?”

A flash of your freshly ironed hanbok crossed your mind, “Yes.”

“What color is it?”

That was an odd question to ask, “Uhm, why?”

“Well, I’m just making sure none

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter