Chapter 20

This Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was after school when you finally saw your two friends and they immediately gave you jellies and a juice box.

“Here you go, Jejudo, since you had dance class all day!” Yoora exclaimed.

“We figured you might need a little pick-me-up after today.” Hwami gave you a sweet smile and you returned it automatically.

“Oh? Thank you both,” you accidentally dropped a packet of the jellies. Before you could pick it up, Yoora swooped down and got it for you. “Thank you, Yoora.”

“Good,” brushing off your thanks, she immediately asked, “Did you do as we asked?”

You blinked at the sudden change in her behavior but nodded, “Yes. I told my parents I would be spending the afternoon with you two.” Though both had been surprised at your sudden asking but they both agreed. “I have about two hours before my dad said he would pick me up.”

The two girls gave each other a determined nod with a scary look in their eye that put you on edge. Hwami seemed to give you a reassuring smile, “Well, that’s more than enough time to get something to eat.” As she finished speaking, she grabbed your arm and started towing you out of the hallway where they had texted you they would be waiting. You had got the text in between class and it was a good thing your phone was on vibrate and pressed to the side of your bag where you could feel it otherwise you may have missed it.

“I was wondering about that,” you started with a wondering glance at them both. “I didn’t see either of you at lunch and Sunghyun,” you turned to Yoora who was pointedly looking away, “said you two would be late. But neither of you came.”

“Well, Jejudo,” Yoora didn’t meet your eyes exactly. It seemed more like she was looking at your nose, “That is something we wanted to discuss with you.”

“Taeri!” the sound of your name being yelled already had your attention and the familiar voice made you stop.

“Jinsik?” you asked as you looked for him.

“Come on, before he sees us,” Yoora was the one ushering you along at a faster pace than the one you three were going.

“But,” you were cut off as Jinsik popped out from a group of students passing by.

“There you are. I was wondering where you had gone.”

Yoora glared at him, “We have her for the rest of the afternoon.”

Jinsik tilted his head to the side in amusement, “The rest of the afternoon?” he looked at you, “So, you’re not being picked up today?” There was a hidden question underneath it.

You gave him a weak smile, “Yes. Yoora and Hwami asked me to ask my parents if it would be okay to spend some extra time with them today.”

“That’s right,” Yoora crossed her arms. “We even have her parents’ approval.”

Jinsik took in her challenging stance and smiled, “Cool. Hey Taeri, can I speak to you for a second?”

“You can text her can’t you?” Yoora asked, or more like demanded. “We know you have each other’s number and we only get a certain amount of time with our Jejudo so we have to leave now.”

Jinsik’s side of his lips quirked up as he looked at you and you did your best to smile reassuringly at him. “Okay, okay. I know when I’m not invited.”

Hwami started to tug you away. “Nothing personal but we need to make up time since we haven’t caught up in some girl stuff.”

“Yeah? I’ll see you tomorrow,” Jinsik waved at you as both girls successfully disengaged from the fight.

“Bye,” you wanted to wave but both girls were holding on to both of your arms.

“Let’s go, let’s go,” Yoora really wanted to get you away from there it appeared. “God! Of course he would track us down like that. Who does that?”

Hwami laughed, “He probably has eagle eyes on Jejudo.”

You felt yourself heating up, “He might have heard me or something.”

“Yeah, right,” Yoora rolled her eyes. “He probably has his little cronies keeping an eye on you and reporting back to him.”

Hwami scoffed. “He does seem like the type to do that. I wouldn’t put it past him to pull that off.”

You pouted. They were being so mean to Jinsik.

Once out of the gates, they led you purposefully to a nearby café where they dragged you to a secluded corner. “Now, orders?” Yoora asked as she dumped her bag on one side of the table. “Tell me now before I go.” She was already walking up to the counter.

“You should try their cocoa,” Hwami suggested to you. At your nod, she called out to her friend, “Two cocoas!”

“Boring!” Yoora yelled back.

You and Hwami sat on one side of the table and you took in the café that they were obviously familiar with. It looked like a cozy one judging from what little knowledge you had in cafés but it was nice that they were sharing this place with you.

“How were your classes today?” Hwami asked as she flipped her phone over on the table.

“They were fine. We’re just finishing up on little fixings on a few parts of our finished choreo for my modern dance class. And we’re learning or, should I say, re-learning formations in my traditional dance class.”

“What do you mean re-learning?”

“My teacher doesn’t like the way some of us were taught to do the waving motion with our fans and she is teaching us her way.”

“Hm?” Hwami nodded for you to continue

Knowing that she wouldn’t get the technical terms, you reached past her to grab a napkin from the disposal. It was flimsy compared to a fan but it would work for a small demonstration. “Well, what she was saying was that to bring the fan down, there needs to be the slightest flicker of the wrist instead of a snapping motion.” You showed her what you meant as best as the napkin would comply.

Yoora came back and sat down across from you as you alternated between the two wrist movements.

“I think I get what you mean,” Hwami nodded at you.

“It would be better if I had a fan but there is a certain weight that this napkin can’t replicate,” you frowned down at the stationary.

“Why don’t you just carry your own fan?” Yoora asked as she appeared to be texting on her phone.

“The fans we use for practice are custom made and are no ordinary fan. There’s a certain texture and weight to them since they’re made from real wood and topped with a specific silky fabric.” You answered her as best as you could.

You let the information sink in and it wasn’t until you all had your drinks in front of you did they apologize. Not that they needed to but that was before they let you know what they were apologizing for and told you where they were at during lunch.

“You were recording us?”

Hwami quickly shook her head. “No. Not recording per say.”

“We didn’t save the video.” Yoora looked like she was regretting it though.

You looked at both of them and they did look guilty. “But…what? Why?”

Hwami cleared and you felt the brush of her leg under the table. But it wasn’t until Yoora yelped did you realize she had kicked her friend. “Ow! God! What’s your problem?”

“Jejudo just asked you a question.”

“You were there! You can easily answer her question.”

“It was your idea!”

“You agreed!”

“You’re the instigator!”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter