Chapter 14

This Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyuntae wasn’t about to let the topic disappear. You knew that for a fact. You followed him to his car after apologizing once again for keeping him waiting and making him come looking for you. He was dismissive at your attempts of reconciliation while he kept a deep frown marring his features while keeping his silence for rest of the ride to your chosen restaurant. Your parents were oblivious like always as they continued to discuss holiday plans and clearing their schedules for your grandmother’s upcoming birthday. Hyuntae joined the discussion with his own work schedule and as the only minor, you knew your place to sit there quietly. It’s only a couple of minutes later when your father asks about school when you are allowed to speak. Your mother asks about your next recital and Hyuntae teases you like he normally would have.

This kind of normal behavior made your feel guilty and you didn’t fully understand why. You were sure you didn’t need to feel guilty since you didn’t do anything wrong except keep your brother waiting and forcing him to find you. But you had apologized for that.

Your parents ordered for you and Hyuntae which was nothing new. You smiled when appropriate so that they knew better than to notice your internal dilemma but you had a feeling Hyuntae suspected something. That was also nothing new. Even though it has been almost a year since he moved out, your brother knew you like the back of his hand.

Dinner was soon over with you feeling a little more assured after having one of your favorite meals. Your mother was the one to pay for dinner. She pulled you to her side and she patted your back as the cashier processed her card. You both said your pleasantries to the lady as she wished you a nice day. Your father was speaking seriously with your brother about something but they quieted when you and your mother walked out. Hyuntae passed your bags to your father without a word. She pulled you to your dad’s car so you left without saying anything to your brother. You felt like he wanted to speak to you more but neither of you knew how to approach whatever it is that he felt he needed to talk about.

You tried to think more about it. During dinner, you had forgotten about it for a while. Your father soon climbed into the car and he asked if you wanted anything. You thought about it for a moment before asking for ice cream. You really didn’t know what to ask for as was customary so you decided on something small like always. Your mother ran into the store even though you were fully prepared to do so. You weren’t sure if you should fill up the silence or not with your dad but the topics were pretty scarce to begin with. So you let the silence rest.

Back home, there was little else to do except watch the news with your father or watch a drama with your mother. You decided on the latter but only stayed for one episode. You had long since finished your ice cream so you didn’t have much reason to be out away from your room which was why you went there.

In your room, your eyes looked for something to do. You decided to do your homework when you heard your phone beeping. You picked it up and found a missed call from your brother. You returned it and at first he teased you about not saying goodbye after dinner. You rebutted his teasing and then there was a pause.

“Alright Taeri, I’m going to be blunt with you. Which of those guys is your boyfriend?”

Out of all the things that could have been bothering him, that wasn’t what you were expecting. “What?”

“You know what I’m talking about. Now which of those guys is it?”

“I don’t—Hyuntae. That’s not—it?’

“Please be honest with me Taeri. Don’t think about anything else but who is your boyfriend. Is it the one taking your notes?”

You did your best to suppress your feelings to answer. “No.”

“Then is it the other?”

“Umm.”

“Ahh so it is him.”

“He’s not my boyfriend.”

“Yet. Now, I’ll be honest and say I think you’re too young to have a boyfriend.”

“How old were you when you had your first girlfriend?” You were purely curious.

He was silent for a second which meant he hesitated. “I guess—no I mean…”

But why was he hesitating? “Hyuntae?”

“Fine. I was your age. But it’s different because you’re my little sister.”

“You mean because I’m a girl.”

“No, because you’re my baby sister.”

“I’m not a baby.”

“That’s the problem.”

“Hyuntae.”

“Ugh! Why did this have to happen now? Since when were you interested in boys? Who said you can date? Did mom talk to you about it? Of course, not dad. You’re too young!”

“I’m in high school.”

“Yes you are. Which is why I want to advise you not to start dating just yet. I highly suggest you wait until college.”

You felt yourself frowning. “But you just said you started dating in high school.”

“That was like ten years ago Taeri. Times were kind of different.”

“Let me ask mom then.”

“What?! No! Don’t do that yet.”

“Why? You just asked if mom knew a while ago. So, I should tell her.”

“I already know what she’s going to say.”

“Mom and dad never told me I’m not allowed to date in high school. Did they tell you so when you were my age?”

“Well, no.”

“Then let me ask them. I’ve been meaning to anyway. I’ll call you after I ask.”

“Wait Taeri!” But you had already hung up on him.

You looked at your door then took a deep breath. Your phone went off just then with your brother’s ringtone.

You ignored it and stood up. The sound from your phone cut off before it started again but by then, you were opening your door while powering your phone off knowing he would continue to call you. You surprised your mother as she held out your bags to you. “Let’s put these away.”

You nodded. “Okay.” You took the bag containing your hanbok from her first. You placed the bag on your bed before taking out the contents. You laid out the garments on your bedspread. Your mother did the same for the ornaments on top of your desk. You both switched places so your mother could fold the fabrics in her own custom way while you started to polish certain pieces.

You wrapped them in soft fabric before placing them in the right containers. Your mother had finished with your skirt and jacket.

“Mom?”

“Hm?”

With your back toward her, you asked directly, “Am I allowed to date?” You’d decided to get straight to the point knowing she would get impatient if you dallied.

You weren’t sure what kind of response you would get from her. So when you heard her stop replacing the tissue paper over the clothing, you held your breath. “I don’t know Taeri.”

There was a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter