I:6

Melodies of Life

I was busy tapping my fingers to the tune in my head when I felt someone hug me from behind.

"I'm sorry for being late." Jieun whispers apologetically then plants a gentle kiss on my cheek.

"It's okay." I smile and turn to face her. My jaw instantly drops with what my eyes rewarded me.

"What? Am I overdressed?" She curls her lips nervously.

I shake my head. "The first time I met you, you were wearing a Mickey Mouse shirt, then your uniform, and now this body-hugging dress. You just keep on surprising me." I chuckle.

"Guess, I'll take that as a compliment." She smiles then links arms with me.

"I wonder what you'll be wearing next?" I ask curiously as we begin to walk.

She puts her lips near to my ear and whispers ily, "Bikini."

I instantly look at her, amused.

"Just kidding!" She laughs mischievously. "Where are we going anyways?" Her eyes wander around the place.

I point at her favorite restaurant in front of us instead, because I can't even pronounce its French name decently.

"How did you know? I never told you." She asks in wonder.

"I have my sources." I boast a little as we step inside.

"Thank God for those sources." She laughs.

I feel a little lost as we make our way through the elegant rows of tables. I wasn't used to this kind of environment. Classy music, luxurious setting, extravagant people, everything was new to me. She, on the other hand, walk in full confidence like it was a part of her house. She fitted in perfectly, like she was made for this place. She even knew the names of the staff. She is a princess, while I'm just a pauper.

"Something wrong?" She asks as we were seated.

"Nothing. Let's order." Before I can call the waiter's attention, he was already handing me the menu.

"I'll have the usual, Louis." She says without even taking the menu.

My eyes rounded in shock and disbelief at the number of zeros on the prices as I browse the menu. Maybe there's gold hidden on the dishes. I laugh at the crazy thought.

"Are you laughing?" Her voice startles me.

"It's nothing. Just remembered a joke." I answer absentmindedly.

"Tell me." She leans close, full of interest.

"It's a lame one. You'll just regret hearing it." I lie, there wasn't a joke to begin with.

"Try me." She beckons.

"I'll take this." I point at the cheapest item in the menu, regardless of what it is.

"Hey, just tell me the joke. He's gone now." She pursues me as soon as the waiter walks away.

"Okay, okay." It took me five seconds to recall the lamest joke Sirius told me. "What did Octopus Ming say to Octopus Cris?"

"What?" Her lips turn into an upward curve.

"Let's walk hand in hand in hand in hand in hand in hand in hand-" Her loud laughter cuts me off before I could finish.

"Was it really funny?" I watch her laugh her heart out.

She nods then gives me a thumbs up. "Very."

"I wasn't even done. I was supposed to say 'hand' sixteen times."

She laughs again, even tearing up this time. "Cut it out." She laughs endlessly like I was tickling her. And I must admit, I am enjoying watching her like that. Making her laugh, making her happy.

"I have another joke. This time a serious one." I say as soon as her laughter subsides.

"It wouldn't be called a joke if it's serious." She delicately takes a sip of water from her glass.

"Then let's call it a non-joke joke." I suggest.

She giggles. "Fine. Shoot!"

I hold her hand then kiss it gently before looking into her eyes and saying, "I love you."

The excited anticipation on her face turns into a soft understanding smile.

"Excuse me." A voice interrupts.

I nod in irritation at the waiter then he serves the dishes one by one.

He could have at least waited until she returned those three words, that I've been dying to hear since I met her.

"Bon appetit." She smiles at me sweetly before taking her utensils.

I smile back and start to discover the foreign food in front of me. I take a bite and my face turns white in horror. Is this even food?

"Try this." She puts her fork near my mouth.

I oblige and thank the good heavens for it was delicious.

"You want more?"

I nod.

She pushes her plate to me and takes mine right away. I watch her chew and she seem to enjoy my pseudo food like it was the tastiest fried chicken she had eaten.

"That's unfair. After finding mine more tasty, you're having it all to yourself." I snatch the plate before she could finish the hellish dish.

She laughs then takes her plate.

Good thing I didn't throw up when we're finished. But I froze in my seat as the bill come to view. The cash on my wallet wasn't enough. I'm dead.