I: 9

Melodies of Life

If anyone would ask me what I hate the most, I would answer "rain" right away. Why? Because for some unknown reason just seeing it makes me cry. But for the first time in my life, I didn't cry because of it, I was laughing instead.

"What's so funny?" Minhyuk's strides which I'm having difficulty to keep up with finally comes to a stop.

"I suddenly remember the first time we met." I answer as I catch my breath. "Today's the same, it's raining." I twirl around with my arms spread out. "But today, I ran to the rain without thinking twice about getting soaked." I laugh again.

He laughs too. "That's because you love me."

"So much." I smile at him.

"I love you more than so much." He chuckles then takes my hand.

"So, where are we going now?" I ask cluelessly.

"Where do you want to go?" He squeezes my hand.

"Anywhere. Just as long as I'm with you." I hold to his hand tightly.
----

 

"Whose house is this?" I ask as we enter a small, old house.

"Our family's house." He walks to the cabinet and opens it.

I follow him and an array of clothes and family stuff welcomes my view. A small family picture catches my attention. "You don't look like your parents. Only your sister does." I joke.

"Really? It goes the other way around. They say noona looks adopted." He laughs, then hands me the sunflower-printed pajamas.

"So how did you end up at the orphanage?" I ask absentmindedly as I take it.

The delight on his eyes immediately turns melancholic. I try to take my question back but it was too late.

"Our parents got divorced then abandoned us." He answers with a bitter smile.

I hit my head at that stupid slip of tongue.

"It's okay. Go change now before you catch a cold." He chuckles then points to the bathroom.

I just nod in shame then oblige.

As soon as I step out of the bathroom, I see him spreading two mattresses on the floor.

"Sorry, we don't have actual beds. But this quilt will make you warm. My mother made it." He says proudly while unrolling it.

"I've experienced worse, when Yonghwa and I went camping." I laugh at the memory as I help him fix our beds. "We actually slept under the tree because of his crazy idea to imitate a reality tv show."

He laughs loudly. "Hyung is really creative, he usually thinks out of the box."

"He's just weird." I point out.

He tries to suppress his yawn while chuckling. His cuteness strikes once again.

"Let's sleep." I pinch his cheek before lying down. "Wow! Your mom's quilt is really warm." I hug it and close my eyes.

"Why didn't you tell me about your family?" He asks as he lies beside me.

"I'm afraid to hurt your ego. Remember our first date? You went nuts with me paying the bill." I laugh.

He stays silent, so I think of a more convincing answer. 

"Plus, I don't want you to treat me like a princess. Aside from my brother, you're the only one who sees me as a normal person. Everyone who knows me, my parents included, they all expect me to act according to my social status. You saw it earlier, I acted different in front of other people. It's hard to wear a mask." I sigh deeply. "I can only be my real self when I'm with you."

He holds my hand. "Come to think of it, shouldn't be Yonghwa hyung the successor instead?" He wonders while staring at the ceiling as if trying to find the answer there.

"He never wanted to take over the company so he ran away from home to pursue his love for music."

"What about you?"

"Well, I always wanted to be a great doctor. Like my father, I want to save and change lives." I smile proudly at him but his tears greets me.

He quickly wipes it and covers his eyes with his other hand.

"What's wrong?"

Instead of answering he lets go of my hand then turns his back on me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to ask that stupid question earlier." I try to peek at his face but it was buried in his pillow.

"Ming~" I call and shake his shoulder a couple of times.

Finally, he gets up to face me. "Want to make up for it?" He grins at me in mischief.

I nod.

"Sing the Doraemon song for me." He smiles at me meaningfully.

"Huh?"

"Why? You don't know that?"

"I do. But-" I stop at the realization. This was exactly the same exchange of words we had back in the orphanage. "Kang Minhyuk!" I slap his shoulder.

"It's my favorite, Jung Jieun, so please sing it for me." He pouts at me cutely.

I roll my eyes but still did it, the exact way he did it that day. He smiles at me as his tears fall, then he hugs me.

"Why are you still crying?" I pat his back.

"Tears of joy. I'm just so happy that you're  here with me." He smiles at me. "Can you sleep in my arms tonight?" His tone is pleading and with a hint of pain.

"Your arms would just hurt, my head is heavy. Lots of doctor stuff in there." I joke to lighten up the mood.

"I've got muscles." He boasts as he flexes his arm.

I giggle then lean my head on his arm gently. We look into each other's eyes as we stay in silence. I could only hear the angry raindrops outside, until he cages me in his arms.

"I love you." He says after kissing my forehead.

"I love you more." I rest my head on his chest, where I could feel his heart only beating for me.

The last thing I felt was his hand caressing my hair before I dived fully into unconsciousness.
----

A/N: Click => Illa Illa by Juniel (Listen to it while reading as BGM) 

 

The next day, I woke up to the playful humming voice of Minhyuk. I lazily open my eyes, but immediately shut it as the strong sunlight hit it.

"Wake up sleepyhead. We're going to get married."

I bolted from what I heard then rub my eyes as I try to clear my vision of him. Confusion takes its toll on me. He carried me in the middle of my sleep to a flower field? Why? Or is this just one of those surreal dreams?

"It's our 100th day, and I can't think of anything more special than marrying you on this day." He focuses on the craft that he was working on.

"Seriously? In our pajamas?"

"Seriously."

"But I haven't even brushed yet, you'll kiss me despite my morning breath?"

He nods then smiles as he finishes to what seems to me a floral crown.

"Am I dreaming?" I ask like a dumb five year old kid trying to sum up two single digit numbers.

"No." He pinches my cheek then puts the crown above my head. "I, Kang Minhyuk, promise to love Jung Jieun more than the air I breathe, more than the night sky needs the moon, and above all, more than my favorite drum set." He ends his vow with a contented smile as he carefully ties the floral ring around my finger.

"I, Jung Jieun, promise to love Kang Minhyuk until every rose lose its thorns, until the sun shines from the west, and above all, until my heart ceases to beat." I smile at him sweetly and was about to put the ring on his finger when a black car arrives and spits two men dressed in black suits.

"They came early." He chuckles.

"So, this is the real reason why you were crying last night." I state as an idea forms in my head.

He nods. "Family first, you need to go back home." He takes my hand and walks me towards the car.

I break free from his hold. "You're giving up on our love like this? You do realize that once I go back, I'll be marrying another guy."

"I'm not giving up on our love. I'm just doing what's best for you. So you can become a great doctor, like your father." He pats my hair.

"So this marriage act was just sugar coating? You're so harsh." My eyes become blurry from tears.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to keep my promise of a hundred days. So you'll always remember how good of a boyfriend I was." He embraces me as he chuckles.

"Please." I force that one word out of my throat as I cry heavily in his arms.

"I love you Jieun." He plants a long kiss on my forehead, then lets go of me. But I quickly hold tightly to his hand. "Don't make this harder than it already is." His voice quivers as he tries to free his hand from my grip.

I continue to cry in despair as I watch him take my fingers one by one off his hand. And as his hand finally slipped from mine, I feel countless daggers piercing my heart as well as lost memories flashing in my head.