II : 3

Melodies of Life

"Hyung, how many is this?" Jungshin indirectly insults my degree of lucidity as he raises a finger.

" off, Lee Jungshin." I warn him before the last threads of my temper snap.

"Just answer, hyung."

"I'm not blind, I'm just drunk last night. That five grand was real!" I yell at him in frustration.

"Wasn't it just your fantasy because of Rosy?" He laughs crazily.

I hit his head hard in agitation. "That hired driver stole my five grand. How many times do I have to tell you?"

"Do you have proof?" He crosses his arms and begins to sound like a detective.

"She deleted my call log, so I can't trace her number." I show him my cellphone.

"You could have just deleted it by accident because you're too drunk. We need solid evidence, like a video or something. You can't even remember her face, how will you find her?" He reasons out.

"CCTV." I sneer.

"Are you sure your hired driver is a she? Any way I look at this, I see a man." Jungshin points at the heavily-dressed individual in the computer screen.

"I heard her voice, I'm sure she is a woman. Try finding a sequence where we can see her face." I demand.

"This isn't as easy as it looks, hyung. Why don't you do it yourself?" He grimaces so I hit his head.

"Who's studying photography here again, you or me?" I ask the obvious to induce mockery.

"What I mean is a 'please' from you would be helpful." He obliges as he massages his head.

"There! Pause it!" I shout as I saw her face register on the screen. "Zoom in a little."

Bob hairstyle, common facial features, except for the eyes. Double eyelids, thick lashes, very rounded orbs, and there's something in the way she looks. Allure.

"Kang Miyoung." Jungshin says as he ended a phone call from the guardhouse.

"Print it." I take my eyes off the screen before he could see my interest on her.

"You're going to the police?" He hands me the print out.

I scoff then shake my head. "You know my father is just waiting for the day that I'll put his name on the brink of disgrace. When that happens, he'll play hero and drag me back home so he can preach endlessly on how much of a lowlife I've become." My blood boils at the thought. "I'd rather find that woman on my own than give him a chance."

"I knew it. You're into her!" Jungshin exclaims loudly. "Can't blame you, her eyes are like Cleopatra's. Too captivating." He chuckles.

I laugh loudly. "You're crazy."

"Pretty interesting. Like hitting two birds with one stone." He laughs.

"I'm only after the other bird." I exit the room before he gets the chance to make fun of me again.
----


"Yeah. She works here. And who are you? Why are you looking for her?" A man in his late forties with an amusing mustache who happens to be the owner of the diner crosses his arms.

"Jung Yonghwa. Well, I want to thank her personally for driving home last night. Can I talk to her?" I fake a smile.

He scoffs, unconvinced. "You just missed her."

"Where did she go?"

"No one knows. That girl is always on the run when money talks."

I raise an eyebrow. She already had my five grand, and she still wants more? This is sick! Or maybe she just has kids.

"So tell me what you really came here for." He laughs.

"Huh?"

"You want her number, kid. But I can't give personal information. Plus, she's never interested in love." He taps my shoulder as if to console me. "How about a free meal instead?"

"Perfect. I haven't eaten lunch yet." I walk inside the diner.

Not interested in live, huh? We'll see.