Scarlet Moon

When the flames ignite

Jiyong walked home in a frenzied daze, his mind flitting between dread and nervous excitement. 

Even though it had only been a week, Jiyong missed actually going out to a club or bar and choosing which outfit would layer on the perfect image. Despite how his natural personality should have shied away from all this, when it came to fashion, Jiyong could be as sassy and confident as any stereotypical college girl. 

He felt as if he could lose himself between the sweaty limbs and stench of alcohol. He saw the appreciative glances he got and loved to tease and torment those unlucky enough to fall for his mysterious charm. He was like a whole new person as soon as shiny clothes and makeup touched his body.

                                                                                                              ***

Soon, he was running past the doors of his apartment block and past the 'roommate wanted' sign that he put up a couple of months ago - of which he had gotten no replies - and up the grotty apartment stairs where he came face to face with a grey, uninviting front door. The mould was starting to creep up from the dirty floor, their poisonous fingers wrapping round the edge of the grey slab. The gold number of 88 was cracked and rusting, the dots of reddish brown becoming visible no matter how much Jiyong tried to stop it. He sighed, but knew at the end of the day it was his choice to live here. 

He pulled out a faded gold key and unlocked the door. He was met with the echoing loneliness that seemed to seep from his apartment walls. There was no indicator that anyone lived here at all, except for the half eaten bagel that he left on the kitchen counter in the morning.

There were no photos or gifts or souvenirs, nothing was out of place or gone astray, nor was there any furniture that said that it was bought to serve more than its purpose; the whole set up was bland and basic.

 The fact was that Jiyong didn’t care anymore.

He cared enough about his friends to speak and look out for them, especially Youngbae and he knew Youngbae would never desert him and vice versa, but he can’t help but always feel as if he’d never fitted in. As soppy and corny as that sounds, that’s how he felt. Always on the fringe of things – not exactly neglected, but not exactly involved either. He was happy though, or at least he tries to see the bright side of an otherwise dark horizon.

However, when he goes out, these extravagant and ostentatious clothes that he loves so much, make a perfect disguise to ensure all eyes are on him and him alone. Scarlet Moon is one of his favourite clubs to go to because it so big and well-known that there will always be a new face there that he can leave his mark on.

Fuelled by this giddy excitement of some pathetic attention, he rushed into his bedroom to choose an outfit for that night. 

He threw open his wardrobe doors to be splashed with an array of colours and textures that contrasted hugely to his pale apartment behind him. 

He pooled through the vast selection until he found his perfect cover. He laid it down on the bed and proceeded to get changed, relishing the feel of the soft material caressing his skin. 

He turned around to admire his creation.

On his feet he wore loose, military styled boots that were scuffed at the toe in a stylistic way, which accompanied the tight, shiny black pants that hugged his slender legs perfectly and really showed off his beautifully shaped behind. On his upper body, he wore a baggy white t-shirt with a smudged peace sign in the middle and a red leather jacket that he rolled up to the elbow, which displayed his tattoos at the crook of his arm. At the back of the jacket, it was criss-crossed with black bows that hung low to the middle of his thighs. Jiyong decorated his handiwork with two long necklaces, one with a golden cage at the bottom and the other with a small dove in flight, a glistening gold chain used as a belt with a wisp of black silk weaved in the metal and a simple sky blue bracelet on his left wrist.

He then walked to his adjoining bathroom and spilled out hundreds of makeup products into the cracked sink, making sure the plug was in, and picked out what would work best with his outfit.

He decided to go all out on his eyes so what was left was powerful black eyeshadow smudged at the corners and a thin black line gliding gracefully down the slope of his chocolate orbs. He finished it off by pinching his plump lips then got started on his hair.

He ran his hands through his blond hair once, contemplating, but decided it looked good messy and unkempt anyway. He smiled crookedly when he was finished and went to wait for Dongwook in the lounge.

He didn’t have to wait long and soon he heard a loud beep to signal for him to make a move. He locked his door behind him and ran down the stairs and into the biting cold air that nipped at his bare cheeks, causing him to redden as if he were blushing.

Dongwook leaned out the window of the jeep and told him to make himself at home. Jiyong wondered slightly at his definition of home, but piled in the back of the jeep anyway and was greeted by 6 other people already cramped in. 

“Now this is cosy isn’t it?” a black haired male by the name of Seonwoong said somewhat cheerfully to Jiyong.

“Umhm,” Jiyong replied, nodding his head slightly, his eyes glancing round looking for Youngbae.

He found him staring at him with a small smile playing on his lips.

“Don’t worry Ji, we’ll be there in a couple of minutes so you don’t have to pretend to put up with him,” Youngbae said, inclining his head towards Seonwoong whose mouth was pouting in mock annoyance.

“Hey! I am a perfectly nice human being who can make perfectly entertaining conversation thankyou very much! It’s not my fault that the last time we came here your date fell ing asleep when you were droning on about how Reebok’s trainers apparently aren’t as comfortable as the adverts say.”

“SHE WAS DRUNK SHE ING PASSED OUT!!” 

“Mind your language you naughty children, there are ladies present” Dongwook said, drawing out the word ‘ladies’ as he turned around smirking.

“Yes and don’t forget it. The only gentleman here tonight seems to be Jiyong and I have to say he seems to be outclassing you on looks too,” Jiyong turned his head to the much needed compliment, throwing a crooked grin in reply, making sure to look under his lashes which he knew immediately would put her under his spell.  

The blond girl, Jiyong was sure her name was Chaerin, flushed and looked away, sneaking him glances when she thought he wasn’t looking.

The rest of the short journey passed much the same. The 3 other girls, Bom Dara and Minzy, he saw were eyeing him up as well, but clearly Chaerin had already ‘claimed’ him.

They parked just outside the club and the group pooled out of the jeep in a noise of insults and fake laughs. Jiyong watched from a distance as Minzy draped herself across Seonwoong and Bom and Dara were busy trying to subtly feel Youngbae’s muscles that strained under his tight black jumper without him noticing. His eyes trailed to Chaerin who was hovering at the edge of the group, staring wistfully at Jiyong. When their eyes met, a smile, quickly smothered, spread across her face as she sashayed over to Jiyong, trying to make the most of her curvy figure.

“Hi honey,” Jiyong purred, his voice like satin.

Chaerin flushed and stuttered but managed to get out, “C-Come on let’s get a drink, I’m dying for a Bloody Mary right now.”

The mention of blood tightened his stomach, but Jiyong pushed the feeling down. So far nothing at all had happened and nothing WILL happen. 

“Sure, I’ll pay,” Jiyong’s crooked smile was back and he let himself be dragged into the depths of something he would no longer have control over.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

God sorry this is majorily late!! no excuses really just seriously busy at the moment :( those still in education can empathise with me cos its come to this time of year again but i hope to try and get on top of it.... hope :)