Home cooking

When the flames ignite

Jiyong was sure that throughout the tour, instead of paying attention to the minimal rooms he had to offer, Seughyun’s concentration was somewhat diverted.

 In every room, he put on an act of interest and carefully studied everything that Jiyong mentioned, but when his back was turned, he felt the intense gaze from his black eyes bore into the back of his head, and Jiyong had felt himself shudder on numerous occasions, but whether that was from unease or something else entirely, he still couldn’t quite tell.

However, Seunghyun wasn’t the only one to steal secret glances at the other. Jiyong found himself staring wistfully after Seunghyun a number of times too.

He seemed to move with a fluid grace which almost looked unearthly and in comparison, Jiyong felt like an eight foot sumo wrestler wearing stilts rather than this elegant creature before him. Seunghyun made no noise when he moved and it almost looked as if he was floating across his wooden floor, his feet barely touching the ground. This might have been creepy for some, but Jiyong was just completely enthralled and enraptured by this impossibly handsome being that seemed to want to live with him in this excuse of an apartment – although he definitely wasn’t going to complain any time soon.

Soon, however, the ‘tour’ was over and both of them stood awkwardly facing each other in the middle of the living room. Jiyong’s eyes flitted everywhere but Seunghyun and his toes were tapping repeatedly on the timbre floor in nervousness that he had no idea why he was feeling. Seunghyun just stared at him, amusement pulling at his adorable kitten lips.

“Ummm, w-would you like something to eat?” Jiyong somehow stammered out, breaking the palpable silence.

“Sure.”

Jiyong swallowed deeply. “What would you like? I haven’t got much to be honest, only cheap microwave meals, but is there anything you prefer; pasta, pizza, galbi and I actually have some ddeokboggi if you want?” Jiyong felt himself rambling and internally cringed, his pinched eyebrows the only outward sign of his meltdown inside.

“I’ll have some ddeokboggi if that’s ok, but if it’s possible, could you take out the fish?”

“Yeah that’s fine, are you vegetarian or something?”

“Yes I am actually,” Seunghyun said giving a small, lop-sided grin.

“Woah really?” This guy just keeps getting more and more intriguing, “I’ve never met a vegetarian before, can I ask why?”

Seunghyun gave a breathy chuckle, “I guess that’s just how I was brought up.”

Jiyong repeated that laugh over and over in his mind - committing it to memory. There’s just something about him, I don’t know what, I just feel drawn to him in an unexplainable way, like a moon to its planet.

Shaking his head, Jiyong led him into the kitchen and started to prepare their meal. Seunghyun sat at his marble counter, drumming his long fingers softly on the surface, looking completely at ease as if he had sat in that spot many times before, just waiting for Jiyong to place food in front of him. Jiyong let out a faint sigh.

He went through the motions of boiling the vegetables, making the special spicy sauce and then mixing them all together, whilst all the time sneaking quick glances at Seunghyun to make sure he wasn’t going to vanish in a puff of smoke. He saw though, that throughout the process, Seunghyun seemed to be off in his own little world; staring down at his hands and furrowing his eyebrows slightly.

He wondered what it was that caused this man to worry. What type of life did he have? Is he happy? Has he got someone to call his own? Jiyong suddenly realised that he hadn’t even asked him anything, not one question other than his food preferences. In all honesty, he still didn’t know if he actually was his roommate or not. Jiyong decided it was time for a game of 20 questions.

He set down the two plates of steaming rice cakes and a pair of chopsticks for each of them. For a minute they ate in silence, until Jiyong finally worked up the courage to just talk to him.

Swallowing down a mouthful of food, he set down his chopsticks and looked up to meet the gaze of those black eyes again.

“So Seunghyun,” he looked up, and Jiyong noticed the guarded expression that immediately came to surface, “What type of music do you listen to?”

He saw Seunghyun’s face visibly relax. “That’s a bit of a weird first question.”

Jiyong shrugged, “I believe you can tell a lot about a person by the type of music they listen to.”

“Well I’m sorry to disappoint you, but I don’t listen to much music.”

“Any?!” Jiyong exclaimed.

Seunghyun shook his head, “I don’t tend to have such luxuries, or time for that matter.”

“What do you mean?” Jiyong asked, genuinely curious.

“I’m just busy all the time, and where I come from, we don’t have any of your electrical appliances anyway.” Seunghyun said with a shrug to his shoulders, but Jiyong noticed his eyes slightly tighten, and the shield being brought up again.

“Are your parents really conservative then?” Jiyong hedged, wanting to get any information out of him before he closes up entirely.

“Something like that,” Seunghyun said lowering his eyes, signalling to drop the conversation. “What about you? Where are your parents? What are they like?” Still with his eyes lowered, Seunghyun fired questions at Jiyong hoping to prevent any being fired back.

Instead of answering, Jiyong shrank into himself, repeating the old questions in his mind. He felt crusted wounds break open inside of him and the feeling of thick loneliness infect his bloodstream again.

Seunghyun snapped his head up suddenly and through Jiyong’s watery vision, he was by his side faster than his eyes could register.

He could feel strong hands being placed gingerly on his bony shoulders and the deep, soothing sound of Seunghyun’s voice vibrating inside of him.

“Jiyong, what’s wrong? Tell me,” Seunghyun said softly, as if trying to calm a frightened deer that could run off at any time.

Jiyong could see the worry and concern etched in Seunghyun’s face, but in reply he just shook his head mutely.

“Come on Jiyong, just tell me, it will make you feel so much better,” Seunghyun coaxed and Jiyong felt himself falling for his baiting voice.

“There’s nothing to say really,” Jiyong mumbled, his throat still choking with the disease.

After a pause, Seunghyun whispered, “I know there is Jiyong.”

He lifted his hand to slowly Jiyong’s fluffy hair and walked around to his half-eaten ddeokboggi. He picked up his plate and cutlery and walked over to Jiyong again.

“Are you finished?” He asked, staring deeply at Jiyong.

Jiyong nodded, completely dazed. His mind was not good at coping with this extreme mix in emotions.

Seunghyun simply took his plate and dunked both his and Jiyongs into the sink and began to run the hot water.

Jiyong looked up confused, “No… No that’s my job!”

“Well your duties have been permanently suspended,” Seunghyun said, throwing a quick smirk in Jiyong’s direction.

“No, you’re a guest in my apartment, I…I should wash up!” Jiyong stuttered, having a bit of difficultly getting his words out.

“I am not a guest, I am your room mate, and besides, you cooked. It’s only fair that I do the washing up,” Seunghyun reasoned playfully and his lips broke out into a rare smile when he saw Jiyong pout. “Why are you so desperate to wash up anyway” He teased, but his eyes gave away his underlying curiosity.

“Because!” Jiyong huffed.

“Because? Because what?” Seunghyun teased again.

“Just because!” Jiyong finally shouted, completely exasperated, “Now give me the soap!”

“Nah-ah~” Seunghyun sang, squeezing the green gel into the now steaming water full of plates and newly added pots and pans.

“Yah Seunghyun~” Jiyong whined, storming over, “Stop it!”

Seunghyun ignored him and continued to scrub the plates with the bubbly liquid.

Jiyong grabbed the sponge and attempted to wrestle it out of Seunghyun’s hands, shrieking as he did so.

“Give it to me!” Jiyong yelled.

Seunghyun’s answer was just a deep voiced giggle.

Growling, Jiyong glanced down at the bubbles swirling around his hands.

 He saw the opportunity and he didn’t hesitate to take it.

He let go of the sponge and scooped both hands into the wet foam and before Seunghyun could react, threw it right in his face.

An explosion of tiny bubbles ricocheted off of Seunghyun’s face and fell gracefully like snow on to the wooden floor.

Seunghyun’s elated laughter suddenly broke off and his mouth was left hanging open in shock and surprise from the unexpected attack.

The sudden silence was broken by Jiyong’s hysterical laughter bouncing around the apartment. He gripped the counter to steady himself from the spasms that rocked his body and he felt his sides ache in painful delight.

“Hahaha…your..haha…face… hahahaha!” Jiyong said, gulping down much needed air.

Seunghyun seemed to compose himself again and he attempted the glare evilly at Jiyong, but the happy glint in his eyes gave him away.

“Oh you are going to get it now,” he said and dropped the sponge in the sink and scooped a very heaped pile of frothy white mush in his hands.

“Oh no… Seunghyun, no! Stop!” Jiyong screamed, backing away quickly.

Seunghyun pounced mercilessly on his helpless prey and soon he too was covered in bubbles. Seunghyun laughed as Jiyong shrieked and he rubbed his hands all over Jiyong’s face to make sure the bubbles got EVERYWHERE.

“Pffttt, the bubbles got in my mouth! Seunghyun!” Jiyong screeched as he was spitting out the remaining bubbles.

“Hahaha, not my problem!” Seunghyun giggled.

“Right! That’s it!” Jiyong yelled, the sponge completely forgotten. He started to run back to the sink, but slipped on the wet floor, his body plummeting to the ground.

Before his body hit the ground however, two, strong arms latched on to his waist and back, and brought him swinging up so Jiyong was sitting in them bridal style.

Jiyong instinctively nuzzled into the solid chest and his fingers clung on to the thin material.

He looked up, embarrassed, to find Seunghyun gazing down at him. The hard, black eyes that he had previously seen, had melted into a midnight pool and they looked down at him in care and affection that he was not used to receiving.

They could have stayed like that for seconds or for hours, but Jiyong had no recollection of time whatsoever so he was content to just stay in what was now.

However, Seunghyun’s eyes gradually started to harden with increasing fear and confusion, and Jiyong felt his grip on him loosen.

Seunghyun set Jiyong down silently and brought his hands away from him as fast as possible.

Jiyong didn’t even get to say anything before Seunghyun wordlessly and soundlessly walked off down the corridor to his new room.

Jiyong did nothing except follow him in his footsteps, the washing up completely forgotten.

 

 

 

 

 

 


When you fell into my arms, that was when I knew I was in trouble.


 

 

 

Hope you like it!!! Please comment and subscribe!! *kisses*