Miss Affectionate

My Boyfriend's Girlfriend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

In fright, I stood before the couple with Jessica behind me. My hands were clammy, and my fingertips were shaky. Sunny shot me an angry squint, unsure if it was out of anger or disappointment. Sungmin shook his head disapprovingly—the first time I had ever seen him show something other than a teasing sentiment towards me.

 

“What’s happening?” Completely puzzled, Jessica barged in, demanding explanation, as she was obviously at sea.

 

“Right, what’s happening?” The other girl spat with annoyance, crossing her arms and darting me a killer glare.

 

Not knowing what to say, I could only stand unbending as if I misplaced my tongue. Fortunately, the tension dissipated when Sungmin spoke. “Mind introducing us to your new friend, Tiffany?” He clearly didn’t want commotions to occur, so he diverted the topic.

 

Self-devastatingly, I plastered a smile at everyone, especially Sunny, whose nose was fuming in wrath. I knew she was trying her best not to throw a fit as she didn’t want to embarrass me in front of Jessica or anyone else. “This is Jessica, Jason’s cousin.” I started by gesturing a hand over the unaccompanied, “These two are my friends, Sunny and Sungmin,” and ended up repeating the motion, but to the couple this time.

 

Jessica’s eyes emitted hints of unfathomable emotion. “It’s nice to meet you,” she hesitantly concluded, stretching her arm out to them.

 

My best friend’s eyebrows met at the sudden action as she intently stared at the hand in front of her, not wanting to shake hands but having to. Well, she never fancied coming off as someone with no manners. “Ditto,” she replied indifferently.

 

“We’ll just see you later, Tiffany.” I loved how considerate Sungmin was about the matter, so much that I was having doubts if he was possessed by an alien or what. “Come on,” he continued, slightly tugging at Sunny as he was taking steps backward.

 

When Sunny’s body finally flipped to go with him, I felt my sinuses clog as if my tears would fall anytime soon. The coward I was, I could do nothing but watch them walk away from me, not to mention unhappily. My conscience was cursing the hell out of me, telling me I was the worst person who ever lived on earth—that I was a backstabber.

 

However, the stupid thoughts went away when Jessica held my hand, making me turn my head to her. “You should chase after them,” she concluded, worry drawn all over her face. I did nothing but stare at her until she gave me a reassuring smile, that it was alright even if I ditched our time together.

 

Without further ado, I nodded and leaned closer to give her lips a quick peck. Her eyes widened in shock, probably wondering why I kissed her in public. Even I, myself, didn’t know why I did that. It came out naturally, perhaps because I was so thankful that she didn’t want our dilemma to arrive at a quicksand.

 

“Worthless is a person who has no friends, Tiffany. Remember that,” she talked as if she was an expert or something. I nodded in agreement before turning my heels and sprinting to catch the couple’s paces.

 

“Wait up,” I softly yelled for them to hear, which was successful because they did. I stopped running in effect and arched forward, my hands resting on two of my knees, mainly gasping for air.

 

I didn’t know what was erroneous in him, but I saw Sungmin grinning a million-dollar smile upon seeing me. To my misfortune, Sunny was still not in the mood. Even though that was the case, taking into account what Jessica told me, I knew I had to tell them the truth. I fixed my stature and held one of her hands. “Sunny, about Jessica—I love her.”

 

Swiftly, her eyes widened before she gave me the feedback I was expecting. “Are you out of your goddamn mind? How the hell did that even happen?” She exclaimed madly as she dangled her hand away from mine.

 

“I didn’t know how it all started, but—” My words were left in the air as I didn’t know how to put everything into words. I didn’t know how everything happened as well, for it turned out so fast.

 

“How come you never mentioned anything? I thought we’re best friends.”

 

With that, I started to put myself in the hot seat. I didn’t deserve to have a best friend like her; she was so good to me, but what I did was beyond unacceptable.

 

I had to apologize to her. I didn’t want the argument to last longer. I didn’t want to break her trust—if it still existed. “I’m sorry. Honestly, I planned on telling you that same day when I told you I was gay but—” I tried to explain, but she cut me off.

 

“But you didn’t.” Technically, she was right.

 

“Because what’s between Jessica and I happened so fast. I was unsure.” I unintentionally started yelling. Everything was my fault. I shouldn’t be acting harsh.

 

“Things that happen fast will never last. You know that, right? Does she even know who you really are? That you were Nick’s girlfriend too? I bet not. Because once she finds out the truth, she will despise you, and worse, she will get rid of you. Whether you like it or not, she will never like you even half as much as how you like her. You should do yourself a favor and stop seeing her,” she imperatively stated.

 

Those awful words of wisdom struck me straight to the heart, for I knew she was right. Unwarily, my hands slapped to cover my face as tears began to pour out like a waterfall. Sure enough, I was crying because of the ache and not because she wanted me to come up with a disposition.

 

You know how painful it was when your heart shattered into pieces, but your own best friend couldn’t offer you a comforting hug? I just wanted to shoot myself and die on the spot.

 

Panting, my lungs were having a hard time supplying air. As if my brain malfunctioned, I couldn’t think of anything. The only organ working was my heart, and it was pounding severely in my chest.

 

That was when I heard Sungmin softly yell, “Hold on. Who do you think you are, Sunny? You can’t just say things like that to her.” The formerly grinning lips shifted to a teeth-clenching one.

 

Damn, what did I do? Because of me, he was yelling at her for the first time in his life.

 

“I'm her best friend. It’s my job to tell her what's best for her.” She yelled back, turning the heads of random people our way.

 

The hands that were previously gripping my face were now extended to each of them, intervening to keep their tempers in check. “Calm down,” was all I managed to say, my lips already quivering from crying.

 

Sunny brushed me off as she walked closer to Sungmin, brutally ramming him on the shoulder. “Why are you even siding with her? Don’t be stupid.”

 

The guy was taken aback by the force but managed to laugh humorlessly. “Don’t call me names, dear self-proclaimed best friend. If you genuinely care about her, you’re supposed to be considering her feelings, not tearing her apart even more.”

 

“I am considering her feelings—that’s literally why I don’t want her with Jessica. I can’t believe how ing brainless you’re being right now.” Sunny’s rationality was lost, I was sure since she couldn’t hold her tongue not to curse. I was constantly hushing them, but they weren’t paying me even the slightest attention.

 

I ducked my head guiltily and watched as droplets of my tears fell down the shiny floor.

 

Sungmin must have been deeply hurt hearing her swear at him. “I didn’t know you were that inconsiderate and mean. Let’s cut this off. You can go ahead and curse me all you want. I don’t care.” He called for a breakup, and I was solely to blame. “And you know what—” I tugged at the corner of his shirt, trying to stop him, but he continued talking. “If Tiffany can un-love her, I know she will. Knowing her, it’s not like she voluntarily loved the girl. She fell, and it just happened. Now, if you’re still so immature not to get that, the is on you and not on Tiffany,” he concluded before walking out.

 

Since my head was bowing in agony, I couldn’t see Sunny’s face. I was waiting for her to hit me with a fist, or slap me, when I heard her ask, “Are you happy now?” I couldn’t believe how she was acting so out of herself. I merely sighed gazing at her pair of sneakers. Moments later, the pair of footwear began pacing away.

 

The word ‘move’ must have been deleted from my vocabulary because I didn’t progress. I stood there alone, biting my lower lip hard and praying it would bleed so all the pain would be focused there, but no. Out of the blue, a pair of arms went around my waist, hugging me from behind. I recognized that familiar feeling—the only pair of arms perfectly compatible with the size of my waist. Tears streamed down my cheeks, knowing it was Jessica.

 

I rested my hand on one of hers and intertwined our fingers. My thumb went to caress hers as my eyes were glued to it. “Why are you here?” I huskily asked, gathering myself.

 

“I was worried about you, and I was looking for you when I heard voices,” she briefly explained, tilting her head next to mine. In the unspoken exchange, I breathed heavily against the deafening silence. “It looks like you and your friends got caught up in some drama. Whatever it is, I’m sure it will pass. How about we change the genre to romance somewhere else?” She softly giggled, though I was sure it was all pretend to cheer me up.

 

I inwardly chuckled while sloping my head. She undid the hug and dug a hand inside her purse. In no time, a soft handkerchief was wiped on my face. “You don’t look too good when you’re crying.” She let out a real laugh.

 

This girl is something, I thought to myself as I couldn’t help but adore her more.

 

 

At ten in the evening, I was laid on my spongy pink-themed bed, thinking the whole lot through. Tears fell again, but at least it wasn’t worse than earlier. I must have been the modest make-out session with Jessica that made me somewhat overlook my difficulties.

 

She must have heard everything Sunny, Sungmin, and I were talking about this afternoon, but why did she not tell me anything? Hm, I can’t stop thinking about her. Is she even thinking about me right now? God, dream on. Probably thinking about Nick.

 

The next morning, I was woken up by strident knocks from the other side of my door. I groaned in annoyance yet I managed to get up. I gave myself a once-over in front of the mirror and fixed my hair to make it presentable before walking to meet the door. As I yanked it open, the smug slash sinister smile was once again registered on Sungmin’s face.

 

“Tiffany, you have a visitor,” the nun beside him stated the obvious.

 

“What is it so early in the morning?” I had to ask since curiosity and confusion jumbled inside my head. When generosity knocked, I jerked the door wider, welcoming him.

 

Accordingly, the nun made clicking sounds in distress. “Dorm rule number 9: Only girls are allowed inside the bedrooms.”

 

Sungmin’s face whipped to look at her, “Then Tiffany shouldn’t be here too.”

 

My jaw fell. I sprinted, and slapped my hand over his loquacious mouth to silence him. “To the receiving area, right. Let’s go.” I wrapped up giving the nun a dismissive beam.

 

“You lost your girlfriend yesterday. What are you so cheerful about?” I eyed him suspiciously as we were sitting next to each other on the couch. He giggled in his deep voice. Man, what was happening to him? Peculiarly, he pouted his lips as if requesting a kiss. I shot him a look of disgust. “Never in my life would I want to kiss you, Sungmin.”

 

His eyes widened in shock. “Never in my life would I attempt to kiss you too,” he declared as if it was the most sickening activity in the world. He did it again though, and that was when I realized he was pointing at someone behind me. I turned my head over my shoulder and found Sunny standing in place. Terror went back to my senses. I fidgeted in panic. My heart pounded fast as if I was going to vomit it out. Well, at least it wasn’t like it would fall out of my because then that would be totally nauseating.

 

The fright flew out the window when her voice cut through the silence. “I’m sorry, I acted mental yesterday. I shouldn’t have said those words. I was scared you’ll get hurt.”

 

My spirit jumped in joy. I abruptly attacked her and hugged her like tomorrow was doom’s day. I didn't know what to say, so I just trusted that actions speak louder than words. I was thankful beyond belief that she finally understood my situation.

 

 

Sunday night, it was so cute how Sunny helped me pack up my things for the vacation. She found it funny that the whole university used to gossip about me and Jason when, in fact, I was into his cousin.

 

“Helping you with your luggage doesn't mean I approve of your relationship with her, okay?” She brought it up out of nowhere.

 

I corrected her words, though. “It’s not a relationship, it’s more like an association.”

 

“Whatever you call it.”

 

The silence went on as we were busy doing our own things, but she hacked it off again not even five minutes later. “When do you plan on telling Jessica? You need to do it as soon as possible so the outburst would be a bit less.” Yeah right, she was talking about Nick and my connection with him.

 

“I’m still waiting for the perfect timing because every time I try to tell her, I get lost in those beautiful, cold eyes. I don’t think I can stand seeing her mad.”

 

“You have a week with her, Tiffany. That’s long enough. You need to tell her, and if you don’t, I will,” she warned, gazing directly into my eyes.

 

That scared me, but I knew she would never do that. She was only pushing me to do what I had to, for my own sake, in which I couldn’t blame her. “I’ll do my best,” I submissively mumbled.

 

 

Monday at three in the afternoon, Sunny and I were sitting under the dorm’s waiting shed. If not yet obvious, we were waiting for Jessica and Jason because it was the time to travel for the vacation. The moment I saw Jessica’s car, a smile crept out of my face which made Sunny give me a teasingly dirty look that I laughed off.

 

“Hi,” I greeted Jason with a gleeful tone as he jumped out of the car to help me with my luggage. Naturally, my gaze shifted to the driver's seat to find Jessica, but to my misfortune, a guy in his late thirties caught my eye. My left eye twitched in displeasure, and when I glanced at the backseat, I caught the girl shooting me a flirtatious glance.

 

I gestured for her to get out of the car, and she didn’t hesitate to do so. “Hi there,” she discreetly started while giving us a sweet smile.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter