the lunch date

the art class

Baekhyun had been so angry when Jongdae and Chanyeol had come out of their classroom together. It's not like he has any real claim over Chanyeol, but it really pissed him off to see them all close and smiley with eachother, especially when he can't even say hello properly without messing it up.

What made it worse is that they actually look good together, and it's just not fair. Way for his best friend to rub it in that they're just not meant for each other. Even if Jongdae is a bit shorter than Chanyeol too, they seem to make it work. On the walk towards the lockers he'd done his best not to look at them both, knowing that if he did he'd only be glaring.

And then when Jongdae had whispered in her ear! Whatever he said made her blush, so he'd just clenched his jaw and viciously insulted the shoes of every person that  walked by between then and when Jongdae grabbed his arm to drag him away, leaving Chanyeol looking like a lost lamb. He'd managed to wave, at least, maintaining some semblence of decorum. 

"What the hell, Jongdae?" he scream-whispers when they're both out of range of his crush, "why were you all-" he gesticulates madly in front of him, seething in frustration, and looks up to find an amused looking expression adorning his friends face. 

"Whats wrong, is ickle Baekhyun jealous that I was talking to his cwush?" he asks through some condescending mashup of a voice, and pulls him against his chest. Baekhyun roars unconvincingly and fights back, wrenching himself out of Jongdae's grip and patting down his probably messed up hair. Wow, his friend is being a real today.

"Leave me alone, ok," he grumbles. There's nothing he would have liked more at that moment than to have had the courage and the balls to push Jongdae away and step between them. But the risk of rejection and public humilliation is and always has been too much for him to pull a move like that. It'd would look weird anyway; he'd be like an attention seeking puppy. Not at all date-worthy material.

Chanyeol's ideal type is probably someone taller than her, someone who could be strong enough to sweep her off her feet and carry her romantically off into the sunset. After all, that's what most girls want in a guy, right? Someone to rely on. Baekhyuun copul hardly be considered reliable. And he definitely couldn't pick her up.

Jongdae rolls his eyes, because he can just tell Baekhun is overthinking and overthinking and graduallly dissuading himself from ever going near the object of his affections ever again. 

"Baekhyun, stop it. Just do that lunch date thing and see how it goes, alright?" 

. He'd half forgotten about that, because of his jealousy. Before that, Chanyeol's invitation to talk more had been the reason he was in such a good mood, and he practically skipped to school. 

"I-I. Yeah. I'll try," Baekhyun looks at the floor, and tries not to think too hard about that. 

"Baek, just talk to her. Take her off the pedestal and talk to her. She's not a goddess, she's actually a really nice girl. So just. Talk to her," 

"Easier said than done," Baekhyun replies weakly. He's had this crush on her for so long, it's difficult to think of her as anything other than an unnatainable beauty. But he'll try. He'd love to get to know the real Chanyeol, rather than the image he's built of her inside his head.

The rest of his lessons up 'till lunch time are spent alternating between being really excited to get to know her and fretting endlessly about messing up and saying the wrong thing. He's distracted, so much so that his teacher asks him if he's ok, and he turns bright red spluttering out some kind of deflection, while his friend next to him looks on knowingly.

His palms are already sweating as he looks around the canteen nervously in search of Chanyeol and her friends. He's not sure whether he should just go sit with them? Or if he should go get Jongdae and bring him too? That is, if he can even find Jongdae. He scans the people sat at each table, trying not to obstruct the flow of the people coming in behind him.

All he can see are clusters of people he just about knows the names of, but not more that that, but he is early and there are several tables which are completely empty. So maybe is he skulks around by the entrance, someone will run into him. Either that or he'll just end up looking like a friendless loser. Maybe he's better off sitting at an empty table. That way at least he'll be a friendless loser with a table.

Baekhyun chooses a table far on the other side of the room but still hopefully visible, and sets himself and his bag down. He makes awkward eyecontact with a stranger once, so he resolves to simply stare at the mottled blue and white surface of the table until someone sees him.

He gets out his phone, to check if there are any messages he might've missed, but to his chagrin there are none. He debates over sending something to Chanyeol asking where she is or if she's finished her last class yet, but then decides that she might think him annoying if he does so. Instead he just munches slowly through the beginnings of his packed lunch, keeping his head down so as not to attract any attention.

Suddenly, a slam on the table wakes him from he reverie. He looks up into Chanyeol's bright sparkly eyes, and finds himself smiling back mindlessly. 

"Baekhyun, you haven't been waiting long have you? Our teacher kept us all back because some idiot was talking," she apologises, pulling up a seat next to him. Baekhyun feel's super aware of his entire right side, even though they aren't actually touching, and theres a good few inches distance between them.

"Not that long, don't worry," he says, putting his sandwich down to be polite. He hopes he doesn't have food on his face, that would be humiliating. He subtly brushes his hand over his mouth to make sure he's crumb free.

"Good," she smiles again, and Baekhyun thinks he will never get enough of it. Of her. What would it be like to kiss her on those lips? He jolts back to reality when he realises fantasizing about the object of his affections when she's right there can only lead to bad news.

He doesn't know what to say, how do you announce to someone out of the blue that you really like them and kinda want to date them? Baekhyun hasn't got the courage for that, especially not when the person in question is Park Chanyeol. He needs to find a topic that's safe, something that's interesting and won't scare her away-

"So, Baekhyun. Do you watch sports?" He didn't see that one coming. He wrinkles his nose and shrugs. He does sometimes, but only if there isn't anything else to watch. He doesn't follow any teams or leagues or anything like that.

"Hm," he watches mesmerised as she purses her lips, "then how about dramas?" she suggests. He bites the inside of his cheek: these are more familliar waters.

"Yeah, um. I've been watching Doctor Stranger lately,"

"Oh my god, me too! But i haven't seen the latest episode, so don't spoil it for me, ok?"

 "Oh, you need to catch up, it's so good!" He enthuses, momentarily forgetting his shyness.  

 "I will, I will.  I just need to do some homework tonight then I'm going to watch it. I'll text you my feelings on it, alright?" She promises, making Baekhyun feel a warm flush spread though his chest. Maybe she doesn't feel obligated to be nice to him after all. Maybe she actually thinks he's a interesting person. 

"Yes do that. " he confirms. It feels weird, knowing her interests after so long just guessing. 

"I told you to watch it on Saturday but no." Chanyeol' s friend pipes up from beside her. He hadn't even noticed her, so besotted with Chanyeol as he was.  He feels guilty for not paying attention, but in truth he doesn't even know  her name. 

"I was going to, but I got distracted!" She defends herself with broad movements that draw Baekhyun's attention.  Today she's wearing some braided bracelets,  with a few little beads and charms tied in. Like friendship bracelets. 

"Sure you did," Chanyeol's friend looks at her skeptically. Chanyeol  turns to get back up from Baekhyun, but he doesn't want to get involved in a fight, so he holds his hands up and leans away.

Over the course of lunch, Baekhyun still doesn't talk all that much, still worrying about whether each thing he says might be stupid, awkward,  or taken the wrong way. But he's made progress. 

He leaves Chanyeol in the canteen with a smile and a wave and a strange combination of pride and regret.  If only he wasn't so awkward, then he would've been able to talk with her sooner, and without intervention from his friends. 

Later that night he lies in bed and analyses everything he said to Chanyeol, and comes to the conclusion that he shouldn't ever talk to her again.  He's such an idiot. 

-

Wow Baekhyun you little ball of angst. 

So im currently on  'holiday' and there is only very dubious wifi :( and its my birthday tomorrow :D yayy

So can you guys relate to Baekhyun? Or is it just me lol

Comments are wonderful *hint hint*