the introduction

the art class

It's quite noisy, here, and pretty crowded too. Maybe not the best place to kiss my new boyfriend, but I really, really want to, Chanyeol thinks. He looks like he's sulking a little, she notes, as she seats herself next to him at the table in the canteen, poring over some work -probably science. She doesn't want to disturb him because he stresses himself out about school work a little. Instead she watches him and resists the urge to take photos of his concentration face.

Jongdae clears his throat from the other side of Baekhyun, and Chanyeol looks up, noticing him for the first time. She waves at him, slightly abashed, and Jongdae raises his eyebrows at her. She just knows he'd be mocking her if they were closer, she suspects that's how he shows affection.

"So, Chanyeol, how are you doing this fine morning?" Jongdae says very loudly, making Baekhyun start and jerk his head up, searching for his girlfriend. The mixture of relief and sudden shyness he has on his face when he sees her is sweet. She nudges his arm lightly, trying to be affectionate without being overbearing since it's obviosu Baekhyun isn't ready for anything really brash.

Not that she is herself of course, she's shy too, and Baekhyun is the first boyfriend she's had that she actually liked. The only other one she'd had was because the guy had asked her out and she'd been too embarrassed to say no. That hadn't lasted more than a few weeks and all they'd done was hug (they were only thirteen). To be frank, Chanyeol doesn't really know what to do now. She'd been so hung up on the idea of dating him, that now she is, she has no idea where to take things from here.

The kiss on the coach was an impulsive decision, which she doesnt regret- certainly not that! She has both photos saved on her phone and looks at them all the time- but she doesn't think that she could do it again. That was the result of spending an entire day alone together, and letting all of the romance build up. That, and she hadn't known everyone was looking at her.

Baekhun looks up at her through his fringe and smiles one of those smiles that makes her swoon inside. She grins back at him and leans with her elbows on the table, just watching Baekhyun work.

"Ugh, don't start with that crap," Jongdae scoffs, slamming his palms against the table surface. Not a good idea, because the loud sound makes Baekhyun jump, and mess up whatever he was writing. He glares at his best friend.

"What?" Jongdae doesn't even bother to apologise, holding his palms up in a gesture of 'what did I do?' 

Chanyeol rolls her eyes, 

"Maybe you should just stop being so antagonistic. I don't even understand how you can be so annoying," she smirks to lessen the insult. Jongdae shrugs,

"Just a talent, I guess," he says airily, waving his hand regally. 

"Jongdae," Baekhyun warns, frowning at him. Jongdae splutters,

"I didn't even do anything-"

"This time," Baekhyun finishes for him, one eyebrow raised. He subtly brushes his leg against hers under the table, but she doesn't know if he did it on purpose or not. Regardless, he leaves it there, the only indication its deliberate is the way he glances at her cautiously from the corner of his eye. She shifts closer, so their sides are touching from calf to hip. He's warm.

She removes her bag, she extracts her lunch and begins to eat some cold leftover pasta. She offers to feed some to Baekhyun, but he just hides his face and seems to be extra focused on his homework. Is his face red? 

"Is that in for next lesson?" She pokes Baekhyun's elbow. He looks up, nearly headbutting Chanyeol in the face in the process and nods, then realising their faces are very close, he ducks back down again, hiding behind his fringe. 

"So. Chanyeol. How was your day?" Jongdae tries to strike up a conversation, but she's eating, so she just shrugs and tilts her hand side to side so-so. Jongdae rolls his eyes, "and that's what I get for trying," he sighs, "you look like a dog when you eat by the way," he comments off-handedly. Baekhyun jumps to her defense immediately, setting off a warm flutter inside her, but she covers it up with a harsh glare aimed at Jongdae.

"Back off, ok?" He hisses from the corner of his mouth. Jongdae sniggers. Baekhyun goes back to his work after another warning glare, and Chanyeol finishes her pasta, and dives into her bag for an orange.

She's always liked the smell of orange, even though Kris hates it. She used to throw bits of orange peel at her to annoy her, and the habit of peeling it off in tiny little bits has stuck ever since then. Baekhyun growls in frustration, scribbling something out furiously then slapping his cheeks and squishing his face. Whatever he's doing looks like hard work, all numbers and equations. She offers Baekhyun a segment of her orange, and he takes it gratefully, running a hand through his hair. She hates to admit it in his presence- it feels like she's being rude or something, even though he can't possibly hear her thoughts- but he looks hot when he does that, especially when he bites his lip.

Baekhyun catches her staring at him and flusters, turning bright pink and looking in the other direction.  The bell rings before anyone can say anything damning, and Baekhyun jolts like he's been struck by lightning, then begins gathering all his papers into a haphazard pile.

Chanyeol gathers up the remains of her lunch to throw in the bin and slides clumsily out of the seat, and almost trips over the table leg. If you asked her, she wouldn't be able to tell you how it happened, just that it made a loud noise and made people turn around and look at her. She ducks her head to try and hide as she chucks away her rubbish, but her long legs force her to stand out from the crowd and she hates it. Smiling takes all her willpower but she manages to make it seem as though she doesn't mind.

She waits immpatienty for Baekhyun to be ready because she's so ready to get out of here. But it feels like he's deliberately taking his time. In order to speed up the process, she halps him stack his papers neatly and affix them inside the binds of his folder. Who knew Baekhyun would be such a messy studier? When she studies, if she ever does, it's usually on just one piece of paper, but Baekhyun seems to spread sheets out everywhere. Maybe it's to do with how their chosen subjects are different.

When Baekhyun stands up next to her she feels even bigger. Normally she doesn't mind this feeling, sometimes she even embraces it but right now with everyone laughing at her, it just feels bad. Does Baekhyun really not mind that she's taller than him? She tries to shrink down, hunching her shoulders and slouching so she takes up less space, not even doing it conciously. 

They split up for classes after an awkward hug, Baekhyun's chin resting gingerly on Chanyeol's shoulder, and arms only loosely around her, as if he were afraid to squeeze her too tight. They promise to see each other later on, and to walk to the bus stop together, before going in opposite directions. Jongdae makes a show of pretending to vomit.

-

Chanyeol manages to push most of her insecurities regarding her amazonian height away from her during her french class. While working on translating french exam texts with her deskmate, she zones out a few times. It's not really a leap to assume she's thinking about Baekhyun. She wants to try something. She texts Kris telling her she won't be going home with her tonight. Kris replies with ';)'.

-

On the bus, they sit next to each other hand in hand with their knees touching. Technically she doesn't need to get the bus, since it loops round Baekhyun's housing area, then through the shopping district before going anywhere near her house. But she's here today because she has an ulterior motive. She looks out of the window and realises they're getting fairly close to his stop.

This is when Chanyeol brings up her brilliant idea;

"Baekhyun?" She asks, leaning slightly closer to him, so she doesn't have to raise her voice over the sound of the agonised bus engine, "Can I go to your house tonight?" 

Baekhyun freezes for a moment, then wiggles his fingers in Chanyeol's hold.

"...No?" He tries.

"I'm not taking no for an answer," she smiles at him, and he smiles back. She takes a chance she never would have done during school hours, and darts forward to press a kiss to Baekhyun's cheek. It must have tickled or something, because he laughs, which just makes her want to do it again. So she does, three more times to be exact, until Baekhyun is squirming and trying to fight her off, but with no real venom in his actions. She makes a tactical retreat,

"Still a no?" 

In reply, Baekhyun leans up and pecks the corner of Chanyeol's mouth. Unluckily for him, the bus turns a corner at that point, and he accidentally puts his hand in Chanyeol's lap so he doesn't fall on her. He recoils like Chanyeol is very hot- Kris would say well, you are hot- and apologises profusely.

"It's ok, it's ok. Your stop is soon, right?" She reminds him. The only-slightly-shorter boy perks up in alarm and glances out of the window,

"Ah, yes. It's the next stop," he picks up his bag and stands up, waiting for Chanyeol to follow him.

They hold hands again as they make the short walk to Baekhyun's house. Chanyeol might as well be strolling through the clouds, she feels almost like she's in heaven right now. 

Baekhyun's house is fairly average size, plastered brick with ivy growing up one half, overshadowing the door. Baekhyun tells Chanyeol to stay where she is, then gracelessly tripping over some weeds to peer into the open garage. When he finds that the coast is clear, he invites her to come down the pathway to where he's unlocking the door with fumbling fingers.

Stepping inside, she tries to quell her urges to be nosy, but she is an inquisitive soul, and can't resist staring at childhood photos and trinkets that probably belong to his mother, and even one drawing of their family that Baekhyun must have drawn when he was younger. It's very sweet that it's still up after all this time. It would seem as though they used to have a dog- or is that a cat? Chanyeol can't tell.

"Put your shoes over here," Baekhyun says, wrestling with his schoolbag then dumping it unceremoniously at the foot of the stairs while he crouches to take his own shoes of. There isn't really much room to move without touching each other here, but Chanyeol doesn't mind one bit. In fact she makes an extra special effort to brush his arms. Everything is different now that they're alone. Baekhyun is much more receptive without an audience, and she's far more confident in herself when she isn't worrying about how they look together or what people think.

"You want a drink?" Baekhyun asks, probably just to be polite,

"No, I'm alright for now,"

"Ok. Um. I'll, uh, take you to my room then," Baekhyun scratches the back of his neck, then heads off upstairs, looking over his shoulder once to make sure Chanyeol is in pursuit. He points out the bathroom as they pass it by, then leads her through a white painted door with a broken doorknob (which he tries to hide, but she sees it anyway).

Finding a place to put her bag, she lays it down unobtrusively and looks around. Baekhyun's room is only a little messy, unlike her own room which brings new meaning to the word 'clutter'. But it definitely smells of boy in here. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, she concedes. She looks to her boyfriend who is sat on his bed, legs crossed and waiting for her reaction with anxious eyes.

Sparing him the torture of waiting, she seats herself next to him and makes herself comfortable on his bed. She's on his bed! She smooths her hand over the duvet cover, blue and white plaid- and says nothing. Baekhyun is staring at her when she looks up, something in his eyes that makes her feel like she should say something. That she should tell him she doesn't hate it here. Really, how could she? This room represents him, in a way. While it does stink a bit, she's fairly sure most guy's rooms aren't that nice in the odour department, it's quite open and spacious. Her eyes latch onto a painting of a rocket on the wall above his drawers, which could only be a remnent of his childhood.

"I like it. It's nice in here," She reassures, pretending not to notice his little sigh of relief. 

"Thanks,"

Neither of them say anything for a while, a silence borne of having too much to say and not feeling able to rather than not having anything to say at all. Chanyeol wants to talk about everything, and anything. Usually she'd have no problem with that, but this is Baekhyun, and she wants to talk about him. About his childhood, his family, and his apsirations. Instead, she asks,

"Baekhyun, why do you like me?" And regrets it instantly. Baekhyun blanches, and avoids looking at her.

"I, um. I don't know? I mean, what's not to like?" He hedges. He lies back on his bed, and sighs deeply. Chanyeol tries not to pay attention to how the heaving of his chest makes a light hollow in the area of his stomach, and how she can see the tiniest sliver of skin peeking out from between his jeans and sweater. 

"Hm. For me, I really like your smile. And I think you have a very nice personality- you're very...funny? I don't know how to describe it," Baekhyun screws his eyes shut and grimaces. She guesses he isn't good at talking about feelings- she'll have to coax it out of him, but that's something they can work on. They've only been 'together' for a few days now, no need to rush anything.

"I like your smile too," he mutters. Opening one eye, he continues, "you're really, really, pretty. And I hope you don't mind that I'm shorter than you,"

"Huh? I was worried you wouldn't like me being taller than you!" Chanyeol laughs abruptly. So they were both distressing themselves needlessly? "I don't mind at all that you're shorter than me. I like you and I wouldn't have it any other way,"

"I don't mind that you're taller than me at all either," he grins up at her. Chanyeol's heart races; there it is. That's the smile she'd wanted see. Directed at her and only her it's blinding but she doesn't think she'll ever get tired of it. Suddenly in a playful mood, after all that confessing and comforting, she pokes his cheek. He gnashes his teeth at her, and they turn it into a game, which Baekhyun wins, trapping her index finger between his teeth. Chanyeol feigns agony, and melodramatically faints onto his bed beside him.

"I could get used to this," Chanyeol declares. She feels Baekhyun's ankle hook around hers. He looks at her from the corner of his eye, then sits up, Chanyeol following a second after.

Baekhyun shifts closer, and reaches out one hand to cup Chanyeol's cheek, fingertips barely brushing her skin but it's all she can feel. Their gazes are interlocked, both of them unable to look away, even if they wanted to. The mood has gone rapidly from mischeivous to charged. Baekhyun edges nearer, so close she can feel the warmth radiating from him. She wets her lips, and Baekhyun catches the movement, tilting his head towards her. At the last moment, he hesitates, and half retreats. Fearing he might give up, she almost closes the difference, brushing their lips minutely, then Baekhyun seals it, pressing his pursed lips against hers.

This is different to their first kiss on the coach, that had been more akin to what a five year old might do on a dare, this feels like a real first kiss. Only now she's lost. Does she just...move her lips? She tries it, clenching her sweaty hands and hoping she isn't going to mess this up. She triggers something in Baekhyun, when she starts to kiss him properly, and suddenly he's gently tugging her head closer, and moving his lips against hers like he's always known how, and was just waiting for this moment.

Baekyun tilts his head sideways, and their noses knock together, making both of them jump, and Baekhyun pulls away in surprise. His mouth isn't really reddened by the kiss, not even slightly more pink thank usual, like in her books. Obviously they weren't kissing long enough. Chanyeol aims to remedy that, pulling him back in with a shaky hand, kissing him until somehow Chanyeol ends up with her back against the headboard, and Baekhyun half kneeling over her. 

In all honesty, she hadn't expected this to feel so good. She closes her eyes, and drags her hand up Baekhyun's arm, until she's holding her hand against the back of his hand. His lips feel wet on hers, and warm, a lot warmer than she expected. Another thing she hadn't expected was the jolt somewhere in the vicinity of her lower stomach, but she likes it.

Holding her breath, she feels like she's going to burst, or her head is going to explode, so she jerks backwards, and inhales deeply, her forehead still touching Baekhyun's. She's please to see he's breathing heavily to.

"I think...I think I like kissing," Baekhyun murmurs, barely loud enough for her to hear him this close. She hums in agreement. "You know, I used to think this would be, like, a fantasy. I mean, I never thought I'd ever get to kiss you, let alone be with you." He chuckles breathily, "I'm so happy right now," he leans in to kiss her again, and she's halfway there to meet him but the sound of a door unlocking downstairs has them jerking apart frantically. 

Chanyeol lets out a hysterical laugh, "is that your mum?" 

"Probably, yeah," Baekhyun reaches for something on the floor and tosses her a book, and thick, intellectual looking one, "if you're holding that it might look like we weren't just kissing?" He tries. Chanyeol makes a face.

"Uh, I don't think so. This looks like a monster,"

"I've never actually read it. It's just there because it makes me look smarts," he smirks at her. She rolls her eyes in jest, and dumps the book- it must rival the yellow pages in size, surely- between them on the bed. 

Heavy footsteps approach them from the stairs, then the door is flung wide open. A shortish, (maybe this is where Baekhyun's genepool lies) stout woman steps in,

"Baekhyun! Have you done your laudry yet? You need to-" She stops short at the sight of Chanyeol, who smiles politely at her, "Baekkie, you didn't tell me you had a girlfriend!" Her voice changes instantly from loud and demanding to cutesy and polite. In her peripheral vision she sees Baekhyun facepalm.


yes well. im sorry ok

 

tumblr | ask.fm  <- really very willing to recieve questions and stuff. youre all welcome to send me things. just sayin'