the locker

the art class

Before she's even done her makeup Chanyeol is thinking of Baekhyun.  The way he'd turned his head to hide his smile had been so cute, though she wishes she'd been able to see his true smiling face close up.

At the dining table she eats her cereal amongst the clutter with her mother fussing around her. Her phone is balanced on a pile of books next to her bowl,  and she smiles gleefully as she types and retypes messages she would send to Baekhyun if they were dating. 

To Baekhyun:

Good morning honey <3

 

To Baekhyun:

Did you sleep well? ^-^ 

 

To Baekhyun: 

I dreamed about you c: ily

 

To Baekhyun:

I hope i get to talk to you more today ^^

 

She's so distracted by this that she doesn't notice her mum reading over her shoulder, 

"Who are you sending that to?" She asks mischievously, making Chanyeol jump and drop her spoon into her breakfast.  She glares at her mother as she fishes her cutlery out from where it has sunk beneath the surface of the milk. 

"None of your business," she snarks, covering the screen with one hand but its too late: she's already seen. She glares at her mother from beneath her fringe as she walks back around to the other side of the island, chuckling to herself. she looks down at her phone again, sliding the unlock screen to the side only to find that in her moment of shock she'd accidentally  pressed send.

Goddamnit! Now Baekhyun has a borederline creepy message waiting in his inbox. At least this one doesnt have hearts in it, she consoles herself. But she doesn't know how she's going to explain this one. He's probably going to be half asleep, in his bed and thinking how weird she is. He'll probably have adorable bedhair, and some stubble. He'll look like a wreck, but a cute one, with his clothes all rumpled and messy.

Ok, that fantasy didn't quite go in the direction she'd planned, but she likes it better like this. Maybe he'll read it and smile? She hopes he does, or at least doesn't look at it like his phone has suddenly grown hair or something equally weird. She visualises his early morning smile as she finishes off her cereal, wondering what it might be like to wake up to that each morning.

It's as she's putting her shoes on that her phone vibrates in her pocket, and her stomach drops. After the concept of Baekhyun is pyjamas came into her mind, she'd completely forgotten about the wayward text. She ties her laces and digs her phone out of her pocket, the phone case she has makes it a difficult fit but she manages to get it out safely.

Her finger trembles before the unlock screen: what if the response is an apology, 'i'm sorry, i was only there because jongdae made me, i dont really like you please leave me alone.' Ok she realises that that's a bit of a long shot, and Baekhyun would probably never be that rude anyway, but it's still a possibility.

She swipes the screen, after checking that no one is behind her to see the results of all this needless anxiety. Only once she makes absolutely certain that there's absolutely nobody there, does she look back at the screen. 

From Baekhyun:

I hope so too (。・ω・。)ノ see you at lunch or something?

Suddenly she feels like she's floating fifty feet off the ground, and she can't keep the smile off her face. She spends a few minutes frantically agonising over what to reply, but eventually decides on something simple, then shoves it back into her pocket and sprints for the bus, hair flying in wispy strands in the wind which she will no doubt have to fix later. But she doesn't care, she's going to talk to Baekhyun at lunch today! 

To Baekhyn:

yes ofc ^^

As she walks to her art classroom after getting off the bus, with her headphones plugged in, she is in her own world with Baekhyun on her arm and nearly walks into several people. Luckily none of them are people she knows, so no one will make fun of her for it. Normally the art classroom instills a steely focus in her to draw, and today is no different. All thought of her crush are pushed aside-but not forgotten- in favour of the watery landscape creeping across the page in front of her. 

The only thing that pulls her out of her trance is the teacher's voice telling everyone to start packing away before the end of the lesson. She glances at the clock, shocked that so much time has passed as always, and hurriedly packs away her things. It's when she is emptying her pencil sharpener into the bin that she remembers Jongdae is in her class.

"Hey, Chanyeol," he grins winningly and waits for her while she puts the rest of her things into her bag. They chat amicably, and Chanyeol is not ashamed to say that part of the reason is because he's friends with Baekhyun. If they're going to be together, she should be friends with his friends, right? Also, she admits, Jongdae is a pretty cool guy, and if she wasn't already taken in heart mind and sould, she might have gone for him instead.

She spies Baekhyun waiting for his friend through the glass panel in the door, and hesitates over waving to him for so oong that it's too late by the time she decides to go for it. Jongdae opens the door and greets Baekhyun with a friendly insult, making Baekhyun scowl at him. 

Baekhyun doesn't say much on the way down the corridoor to their respective lockers, so Chanyeol chats awkwardly to Jongdae, thinking he must've changed his mind about talking to her at lunch. There's still a few hours until that time, though, so she still has to wait through a few more lessons.

She puts her art equipment away, and exchanges it for her textbooks for her next lesson, Glancing shyly at Baekhyun from the corner of her eye. He's watching the floor blankly, no expression so to speak of, and it kind of unnerves her. A loomibng presence by her ear startles her, but quickly she finds its only Jongdae and relaxes,

"You like him, don't you?" he asks in soft undertones, nodding his head towards the sulky looking boy a few feet away from them. He looks up and glares at Jongdae, who only chuckles and waits for Chanyeols answer. Chanyeol doesn't blush easily, bit her face feels hot so she must look like a tomato. Is she really that easy to read? She knows she talks about it a lot to-

"Kris told you!" she accuses, frowning. She feels betrayed, and a little victimised. They're ganging up on her.

"I'll take that as confirmation. I'll see you at lunch...or maybe I won't," he winks slyly, and walks off in the opposite direction to where she's headed, tugging along a grumpy Baekhyun who manages to turn at the last second to send Chanyeol a stiff wave. This wasn't at all how she'd imagined them meeting today.

Granted, she'd pictured flowers and sparkles and Baekhyun running up to her with a huge grin plastered on his face to make her swoon, but she didn't think a little more enthusiasm would go amiss, surely. She'll just have to wait until lunchtime to find out what's wrong.

-

omg bad author this took way too long sorry hopefully this is satisfactory 

maybe you could comment anyway? no? please?

since i've finished my main fic, i'll be paying this one more attention now i think, but updates will still be relatively slow :/ sorry

in other news its sooo hot im not equipped to deal with anything above like 18*C T-T

p.s what is with these chapter titles idk what im doing anymore