the ice rink

the art class

"How do you feel about ice skating?" Chanyeol asks Baekhyun, who's sat on his bed, reading over his homework with a very intense expression. He looks up, startled by her voice. Setting his homework aside, he considers the question.

"Um. I've never done it before, but I guess I could give it a go. Why?"

"Because I want to go ice skating with you, duh," Chanyeol replies, spinning around on Baekhyun's desk chair. 

"Uh. Ok. When?" 

"Saturday ok with you?" 

"Yeah why not," Baekhyun smiles one of his most blinding smiles, making Chanyeol want to stare at him forever. She's so glad he's finally comfortable enough with her to unleash that expression on her.

"Ok then, it's a date! " She confirms, "but I think you should know I haven't done it in a while either ." By in a while she means since she was perhaps six. She hopes it's one of those things that stay with you forever. Like riding a bike.

Baekhyun grimaces.

"Well that just means both of us will be falling all over the place . I hope no one we know will be there. "

"I don't see why there would be. Unless you invite them. But I was kinda hoping we would go together. Just us, you know? " They've been on a few group dates, and while they were fun, they weren't really all that intimate. With the ice skating, she thinks that will give them an excuse not to be awkward but still alone together. 

"Yeah I know, " Baekhyun flushes a light pink and picks up his work so he can hide behind it. Chanyeol snorts and goes back to her own work which she brings over because there's more desk space here. Chanyeol is not a tidy person. 

Behind her, Baekhyun coughs like he's trying to get her attention. Turning around, she sees Baekhyun still bright pink. He pats the bed beside him, 

"I'm almost done with this ," he mumbles. That means he wants her to sit by him, she's getting better at interpreting what he says. She laughs, 

"Ok I'll be there in a minute. When does your mum get home today? " Chanyeol asks when sat beside him as close as she can possibly get without being sat right on top of him. Baekhyun clears his throat.

"Late."

"Good," 

-

Cool air washes over both of them as they enter the ice rink. The coloured lights and slightly tinny music takes her back to her childhood, but Baekhyun looks a little nervous still. She squeezes his hand to reassure him.

She locates the desk where they can pay and drags her boyfriend over to it. She speaks for both of them when the scraggly teen there asks for their shoe sizes. Chanyeol tries not to think about what they say about men and their shoe sizes.

They receive each a pair of chunky blue skates, and are told to go over to the benches to put them on. Also, would they mind putting anything that could fall out of pockets or bother other skaters into a locker? Chanyeol nods and promises that yes, they will do that, not to worry. Then, dragging Baekhyun by the hand again, brings him to the benches where they sit down together, shivering a little with excitement and cold at the same time, to put on their ice skates. Once Chanyeol is done with her own, she notices Baekhyun is having a little trouble himself. 

"Do you need a little help?" 

"No," He pouts, yanking on the buckle to try and get it to go tighter, except he's pulling it in the wrong direction. Wordlessly, he gives up and moves his feet closer so Chanyeol can do them up for him, looking put out and a little sulky. She thinks he's probably annoyed to have his girlfriend doing things that traditionally the boy would do. He seems, like most boys, to feel like he always needs to lead, when that's not really the case at all. She yanks the buckle roughly,

"Tight enough?" 

"Yeah," he replies, after wiggling his toes to make sure he has room.

"Ok, let's go then," She says energetically, swinging to her feet, hoping she doesn't fall over before they even make it to the ice, because that would just be embarrassing. Baekhyun holds his hands out for a lift up, and she happily helps him to his feet. They teeter together for a moment, holding each other's hands so they look like an arch. A lopsided one.

"How does anyone walk in these things?" He scoffs, trying to take a wobbly step towards the rink. Chanyeol laughs,

"You're not meant to walk on them, you're meant to skate on them. C'mon, I'll show you when we get on the ice," She promises, leading him him carefully to the entrance. There's a another short corridor they have to walk through first, with one of those clear plastic curtain things, and when they pass through it, Chanyeol is glad she thought to wear extra layers under her normal clothes, because it is cold in here. It's good they're only going to be in here for about forty minutes.

Chanyeol steps on first, using the barriers for balance. It's easier than she remembers, but still hard. She scoots over a little bit to let Baekhyun get on after her. Clutching at the barriers desperately, Baekhyun gingerly puts his foot down, then the other foot, standing in the way of someone else who is trying to get on behind him. Embarrassed, he pulls himself along out of the way, and they both watch in awe as the girl wearing a black leotard type thing gracefully skates to the middle and starts doing laps without so much as batting an eyelash.

Chanyeol is so occupied staring and being jealous, she doesn't notice Baekhyun inching ever closer until he's standing tiptoed and almost level with her, close enough to kiss. She kisses him, laughing, then backs away from him. He makes a disgruntled noise and tries to chase her, but he's trying to walk like normal. 

"Have you ever rollerbladed before?" 

"Nope," He grumbles, refusing to let go of the barrier. Several dozen people pass them by, some glaring at them a little, and it seems to be getting to Baekhyun a little.

"Do you want me to teach you how to skate properly?"

"Yes!" He exhales in relief, "I was about to ask," he pushes himself a little away from the wall but stays close enough so that if he falls he'd be able to grab it. 

"You've got to push off with your back foot, watch," She demonstrates, not going far. The ice makes a satisfying noise as she pushes off, so she does it again, having forgotten how much fun this is. She looks over her shoulder to see if her boyfriend has made any progress. He hasn't, but hes really trying. It's cute, how he's half squatting and has his arms spread for balance. The intense look on his face is adorable too, and bite the inside of her cheek to stop herself from laughing outloud, because that would just make him sulk.

Carefully, Chanyeol makes her way back to him, and hugs him from behind, putting her hands in his pockets. She ignores his indignant insistence that he can do it, and pushes off, very slowly making headway. There's a clock high up on the wall, as this place is also used for ice hockey matches too, and that tells her that in the ten minutes they've been here, they've managed to go almost halfway round the rink. She eyes the girl in black again, jealous.

In her distraction, she trips over her own feet, and in yet another moment of lanky clumsiness, she topples to the ice noisily, almost bringing Baekhyun down with her but not managing. She sits on the cold hard ground, hurting a little, unsure exactly what just happened. Then her boyfriend starts laughing. It starts of as a small giggle, then afer a few second mutates into something so loud people are starting to stare. Baekhyun is red in the face he's laughing so hard. 

Chanyeol glares at him and tries to get up, slipping and falling again as she does so, but that just makes Baekhun laugh even more. He tries to wheeze out an apology, but Chanyeol doesn't accept it, taking this personally. A boyfriend should help his girlfriend up, not stand there peeing his pants at the sight of her. Finally upright, she skates off- slowly- away from Baekhyun, and stews in her embarrassment. 

Well, she thinks, there goes that false image of him being perfect. She hurt her leg during the fall, and it throbs beneath her jeans. She's going to have a bruise later, she's sure. And her arm hurts too, and the palm of her hand has a tiny scratch on it from when she tried to stop herself falling. She's never going ice skating again. For their next date they'll go see a film or something, or even better just stay at Baekhyun's house, it's better there anyway.

"Chanyeol!" Baekhyun calls out from behind her. She almost doesn't turn around, wanting to stay annoyed with him for a bit longer, but she doesn't have the heart to hold a grudge against Baekhyun for any length of time. 

When she looks back, she finds it hard not to smile. Baekhyun is clinging to the barrier and hasn't moved an inch. He looks so pitiful. He stares at Chanyeol imploringly, eyes wide and pouty lips. She bites her lip, and skates off in the other direction, not missing the betrayal in Baekhun's face as she does so. She loops around the other way, so as not to cause a blockage going against the flow, and all but jumps on Baekhyun from behind when she reaches him.

"Ahh!" Baekhyun clutches at the barrier like his life depends on it, "Chanyeol I'm so bad at this and I'm sorry I laughed at you. I think we should go."

"You sure? we could do another couple of laps, see if you change your mind?" She purses her lips,

"Nooo," he whines, wrapping his arms around Chanyeol's waist and pressing his face against her shoulder, "I want to gooo,"

"Ok then, let's get to an exit," Chanyeol snorts, amused at his grumpy baby act. Holding tightly to each other and the railing, together they make their way to the gateway. When he takes off his skates, Baekhyun lays down on the bench, sighing and murmuring about freedom at last. Chanyeol rolls her eyes.

"So what now?" Chanyeol ponders as she does up her shoelaces, knees bent at an ungainly angle. 

"I think we should find somewhere to eat. I'm hungry,"

"Ok, any ideas? Somewhere cheap that isn't McDonalds, preferably," she elbows him. She doesn't have a problem with fast food, not at all, but it's all Baekhyun seems to eat when not at home. She slings her bag over her shoulder and picks up her skates to return them to the scraggly teen who wishes them a good day.

"Why don't we go to that cake place? Near the train station?" He suggests as they leave the rink, sheilding their eyes from the sunlight. It too bright after being inside a dark hall for so long. 

"I thought you said you were hungry? Cakes don't count as real food," 

"Of course they do, shhh," Baekhyun frowns. Chanyeol takes his hand, linking heir fingers together. Baekhyun's hands are still ice cold, so she rubs his finger between the palms of her hands, and smirks at him. 

"Thank you," he mumbles, looking at the floor. She grins.

It's not that far to the cake shop Baekhyun mentioned, but her leg still hurts and throbs with every step. Baekhyun either doesn't notice, or simply doesn't make a fuss that they aren't walking as fast as they normally would, which is fine by her. It's a pretty quaint little place, in her opinion, and she's surprised Baekhyun new that she likes it here, as she doesn't recall mentioning it before. Maybe he thinks it fits her image, which is also flattering, as it might mean he thinks she's cute too, despite looking like a stretched out stick figure.

A bell above the door jingles as they enter, alerting the staff member who smiles at them winningly. They seat themselves next to one another at a small table near the window and look over the menu, which is full of glorious looking calories, but Chanyeol doesn't care. 

"Which one do you want?" Baekhyun asks, "I'll pay,"

Eventually they decide on not having cake at all, instead opting for a huge sundae to share, and a mug of hot chocolate each. Between them, the sundae doesn't stand a chance, as they devour it first while waiting for the hot chocolates to cool down a little. 

"Say ahh," Chanyeol teases, waving a spoonfull of strawberries in front of her boyfriend's mouth. He makes a face at her, but opens up anyway, making her want to squeal. This is one of her dream scenarios: feeding her boyfriend in a cute cafe. Now all she needs is a kiss, she thinks as she sips her hot chocolate gleefully.

"You uh. Youv'e got something...here," he grins, as he runs his finger over his upper lip. She has a cream moustache,

"Oh!" She tries to it off, and Baekhyun just laughs at her. She goes to wipe if off with her sleeve, but he stops her in her tracks, grabbing her wrist and sighing in mock disgust. Chanyeol thinks this is it, he's going to kiss it off like those cheesy dramas, so she closes her eyes. Only to feel the feather sensation of a napkin brushing over .

She opens her eyes in disappointment, and is surprised to find Baekhyun's beautiful face right in front of hers, barely an inch away. 

Baekhyun's lips against hers is always a satisfying feeling, and even though it's over quickly- they're still in public, after all- she feels buoyant, like she could touch the sky. 


 

.....im ill forgive me for this

ok maybe soon there may or may not be some kind of mrated stuff perhaps. maybe

also if anyone is interested in taohun im rewriting one of my old (EW such bad prose) hunhan fics to be taohun, you can find it here

 

tumblr | askfm