↷〈✧ BEYOND THE SHORES 〉⋮ the reviews

↷〈✧ BEYOND THE SHORES 〉⋮ apply open!

 

THE PENDING APPLICANTS

 
 lee inna 
HWANSANG:
OKAY! Reviews will go here by Amanda and I, and as you can see, this is my character ; 3 ; Just a heads up, I for one will be  honest when reviewing but that doesn't mean I'm just going to be harsh okay, I'll just tell you what is wrong (if there is anything) and you can best improve it! ^^ If I come off y, I don't mean to but if there are a tonne of mistakes that could have been easily avoided by reading the cheatsheet and application properly then it's kind of not my fault. Well, enjoy applying
THRANDUIL:
Ugh, Sav I'm way too excited for this apply fic. Savvy sav has a rad character.
S T A T U S: chosen
HWANSANG
PEARL
JEON JIHWAN
 
 JUN JIHYUN 
HWANSANG:
Oh look it's Aman's fabby character with the adorable face. /shot
THRANDUIL:
I'm not harsh when I review, istg bruh. Trust me. But I'll make sure to be thorough and on point when I review. I might get lazy along the way because I'm just like that but trust me, I got this. Anyways, I'm an easily peeved person and reading the cheatsheet is the best way not to get on my bad side, yes??? This is my character I guess, and I'm currently working on my example app right now so hopefully I finish soon (but homework ew). Sorry if I end up sounding rude. If you have a compliant, tell it to me personally. Because bash us and istg bruh let me catch you in the streets.
S T A T U S: chosen
THRANDUIL
EMERALD
SHIN JIHO
 
 SHIN EUNSuNG 
HWANSANG:
Hi Anna! Thank you so much for applying and being our first applicant. Eungsung definitely has a lot of nicknames, haha. Her face wasn't what I was expecting for Amethyst but I'm pleased you didn't choose someone really cute and girly. In terms of the personality I thought you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the plotline for Amethyst. It was a good, solid amount of writing with some nice detail. I know this is totally irrelevent but it was kind of odd how you chose Jang Geunsuk as the face claim for her brother and used a name that is the same to a Shinhwa member, lol! I guess an ulzzang might be better. Ugh I love the cold side to Hoya so it's actually nice to see that showcased in your app as oppose to the nicer side people tend to use for him as a love interest. You definitely wrote their relationship how I'd imagine it, being totally volatile and on-off. The only thing I'd probably change (which is no fault of yours really) is the time Hoya and his family moved to Inoh, it'd be after the field trip.

Anyway! So, her negative reaction to her tail and the whole situation is fresh since she so desperately doesn't want it. It's a change from the typical romantic and fanatical side people see to 'mermaids' and the like. The ending to her and Hoya's outcome was realistic too, continuing their on-off relationship because they have nothing in common, good choice. Anyway, I can't really pick many faults with your application, Anna apart from maybe change her brother's face claim and I can only think of Shinhwa's Shin Hyesung with that name LOL but that's a personal preference /shot. There's not a lot to change (like, I can barely find much wrong with your app) so if you could just alter the small things we mentioned that would be fabby! (and I totally appreciated the gif by the way!)
THRANDUIL:
Hello Anna! Thank you for being our first applicant and yeah aha. So let's get this reivew started shall we? Her face-claim is pretty good and I don't have personal problems with her. She isn't too cutesy for the Amethyst plotline but I was sort of was expecting a more "cold-face" face-claim? But it's fine and the "don't judge people by their looks" applies to your character so it's all good. Her personality definitely fits the Amethyst plotline and the length is perfect really. Not too long but not too short. I enjoyed reading it, though there was some words that seem really lengthy and extremely complicated and I didn't even know what they meant (and I'm a word-freak, I enjoy long words). I had no problems with it but Sav might notice something else so who knows eh? Sorry of eh about you using Jang Geunsuk's face as your brother (ulzzangs are a better choice but if you don't want to change it, it's fine). For your rival though, you only said Joomi's father works with Eungsang's but how did they met? The reason for your rivalry with her is kind of really, bland? A typical "she's different from me so I don't like her" is overused so if you added more details on why they don't like each other, that'd be nice.

Okay, so wow this is getting long but yeah. The love interest part! Hoya is really, the bae, and yeah, very good love interest choice!!! Actually the rest of your app is pretty good, her relationship with Howon is good, but their first meeting is sort of...weird? I don't know, in my personal opinion, I thought more details on how they met would be good and snazz. But yeah, well that's really all I have to say since the rest of your app was a-okay. (So if you can fix those things, that'd be really cool!)
S T A T U Saccepted
AMETHYST
LEE HOWON
 
 CHO HAEJI
HWANSANG:
Woohoo, hey, Simone! Thanks for applying- on to the review! Okay so unfortunately the first link in your mermaid section doesn't work! It'd be great if you could just look into why that is. The personality does strike me as being kind of short. Although yes both paragraphs are made up of 5 sentences they're very simple and to the point; but they do give me a fairly rough idea of how Haeji is. I think you could definitely elaborate more and give me a more indepth feel to her. I couldn't help but notice you didn't really stick very closely to the traits for this plotline. This girl should be amiable and single minded, with diligence but I didn't see much evidence of that. I'd love to see some more flaws in Haeji if I'm totally honest since she seems not to have many besides being careless. The family section was minimal but I'll skim by that. 

Onto the love interest! Oh, our dear Chanyeol does seem to fit the part completely and I'm glad your back up wasn't another EXO member as we're trying to limit the involvment with that particular group for this to give it variation! But yes, Chanyeol's personality was pretty spot on and fun to read. I especially liked their first meeting and how they quarreled due to their birthday being the same date, really cute. Glad you incooperated the ex boyfriend into the plot and the effect it had on Haeji. Everything was pretty much a-o-kay in the love interest and following sections! So I'm pleased abou that. There were a few things that needed altering earlier on Simone so forgive us for asking you to do those before we accept you. And thank youuuu for the hilarious gif of Mika and Hyunmin omfg I die, they are idiots. 
THRANDUIL:
Hello Simone! Thank you for applying and I really like your name. First thing I notice is her personality isn't that long but it was enough information for me to understand her so that's good. But the way you portrayed her, it sounds like you were trying to mash up the Diamond and Peridot plotline together. She independent, fietsy, intelligent, adventerous, she's practically the round-edged person isn't she? It'd be great if you added more flaws to her (like if she's curious about everything, maybe it'd get her into trouble) You did put that if she hates you she'd make you feel dumb but I felt like for someone amiable, she's nice all around, no being sarcastic or sassy. She's just a nice person. You feel? And you barely talked about her being a friendly person. All you said was that she was polite around the people she barely knows and that if she's mean to you that means your her friend. It doesn't make sense and if you could change that, it'd be really cool. Her description about her friends/family are really short and for this fic, they do sort of play important roles in your character's life so if you could add a few more details on their interactions that'd be good.

Next,  you chose an EXO member as a love interest and that's fine actually and as long as you have an non-exo member as your back-up, all is well. Chanyeol's personality definitely works for the Yellow Topaz's personality and ah, romance's favorite "childhood friends turned lovers". And it's cute that when they first met, they had a fight. Their relationship part is great and I had no problems with it. (But you made Sehun your ex, which I'm kind of side-eying because everything is exo. But I'll let it slide. (I'm not really making sense aren't I???) Oh and you said she's clumsy and that's why she fell into the water (in the how your love interest found out your secret) but in your personality, you never mentioned her being clumsy??? It's doesn't make sense so please correct that. Well that's it so once you change those mistakes, we'll gladly accept you!
S T A T U Spending
yellow topaz
PARK CHANYEOL
 
 AHN JAYEON
HWANSANG:
Okayyy! Hey, Byul and thanks for applying! Oh my, I really love your face claim, she is so adorable, I don't remember seeing her too often. I think she was a really smart choice for this plotline too. Her personality was very informative and it did, in my mind, seem to fit well into the position for this girl's plot. I liked the fact she meddles in people's problems and gives advice even when she shouldn't. My only slight problem that most of the personality is just you telling us a bunch of traits she has. "She is this and this" and so on, it would be great if you elaborated on them a little as to why or how she is like that for us to get a better feel for Jayeon. Especially if you could tell us more of her flaws since I couldn't really pick any out besides her being meddlesome. You left in some of the hints in the family section and I felt like you could have explained a bit more; at least with her rival, Soowon, since she'd play a large part in your character's plot. 

On to Ken, awh, he really is such a cutie. You described him well. I don't really know how I feel about their meeting though it was very... empty. You didn't really give us any information on it besides what she was wearing which didn't have any relevence. The answers were fine, if a little sparse for detail. Overall, Byul, your application was good and fitted the part but was quite minimal and could do with a bit more detail. It would be great if you could clear those things up so we can change your application to accepted! Thanks!

 
THRANDUIL:
Hello Byul and thank you so much for applying! You made El your face-claim, I absolutely love her and she's extremely pretty so yay. It's actually the perfect face-claim for the plotline. This will be pretty short only because Sav actually said a lot of the things but I'll try either way. Okay, so the first thing I notice (like Sav said), you don't put further details after describing her like. You wrote "She is this" but don't further explain on it, and why she is. You feel? But, I really like the part where you said that advice can confuse people. That's actually a pretty nice touch. Oh, and you forgot to delete a hint on the family part and if you could delete that, it'd be really cool. 

Love interests, ugh. You chose Ken from Vixx. I really like him so that's like small brownie points. I really also like how you portrayed and described him. A talkative, loud mouth kind of guy. But I have a slight problem with Ken's girlfriend. You only placed a sentence about their rivalry relationship. If you can add more details (especially about how Soowon is out to get the girls), it'd be really awesome. Them getting along is really you know, typical. I might not get along with a bunch of people but that just means I'm not compatible with them you know? For example, maybe Jayeon and Soowon were friends and stuff? A backstory would be nice, and add details on why Soowon is always trying to interfer with Jayeon and the other girls. Aside from that, the answers, background, and everything were fine. If you could correct those mistakes I pointed it, we'd accept your app!
S T A T U Spending
SAPPHIRE
LEE JAEHWAN
 
 SONG HYEMI
HWANSANG:
Hi Ko-Li, thanks for applying! I probably wouldn't have put Dasom as the face of this plotline but that's entirely up to you who you decide to use. The link to Hyemi's shell bra isn't working, could you please take a look? You state she learned english from a friend but you don't mention who or how fluent she is or anything. I'm sorry but her personality is too short and it doesn't do enough to describe her and how she is as you state things about her background which don't need bringing up in this section. Whilst what you wrote does fit the plotline it just isn't enough I'm afraid. 

I'm glad you mentioned Hakyeon's role as her stalker, albeit it brief, but there was no mention of his older brother whatsoever in your application. Opal's love interest is her stalker's older brother as mentioned in the plotline but instead you just used Jongdae for no apparent reason as her best friend? I'm sorry but I don't understand why. Could you please clarify why that is and alter it so that it follows the plotline you chose. In this plotline, Opal is so confused as to what to do with the unwanted affection from the stalker that she seeks help from his older brother on how to deal with it, just to make sure you were aware. You didn't mention her becoming a mermaid at all in her background so we'd need you to add that in, please. I'm really sorry for pointing out the mistakes, Ko-Li but unfortunately we can't accept this application until they are verified, we hope you understand. Do let us know if you have any questions or any way we can help you!
THRANDUIL:
Hello! Sorry for such a late review but thank you for applying and let's get started! So Sav has probably pointed out the mistakes and I see you said you've fixed it so I'll just be reviewing what you have on your app right now. The first thing I noticed was how you said " Hyemi is a very nice person, and she would do anything for her friends and family. There was an instance, where she stopped someone from being bullied, and they began to follow her around."  Maybe you can word this in a better way so it'd make more sense. For example, "Hyemi is a very nice person and she'll do anything for her family and friends. Because of her friendly nature, she tends to lend a helping hand to people in need. Often, her kindness is mistaken for interest and there have been multiple times where people have followed her around." Or something like that yeah?? The rest of your personality is pretty good and detailed enough so.

I see you've also added how she became a mermaid but it was already stated in the cheat sheet that they all ended up in the cave because they were fighting. Maybe Sav was trying to tell you that you should write about how she reacted to finding out she was a mermaid and all because it isn't really described at all in the background. There isn't anything else wrong with your app so if you can fix those little mistakes, we'll accept you!
S T A T U Spending
opal
kim jongdae
 
 moon jiseul
HWANSANG:
Hey, Crystal! So glad you gave in and decided to apply! Viki was difficult to find good pictures for but she's a really cute face for this plotline so thank you for specifically making a chapter in your gallery for her, omg. I'm guessing it was just a mistake but her birthday must be in August since you're applying for the August plotline (you put July but yeah) OMG her tail looks just like Ariel's tail I totally love that since this is the little mermaid 2.0 /shot. Okay down to the meaty parts, yes. I actually really liked how you described Jiseul's personality. I think you nailed the combination of a typical fun-loving tomboy without making her really masculine and... butch?! for lack of a better word lmfao. You definitely got all the traits down for this plotline and yeah I can't say much else about that, a few typos here and there but it was all great.

Omg. Your description of Kyung having never touched a , I can't. But yeah, I thought the section with Kyung was good because it could have been very easy for you to go down the very cliché guy-best-friend-route but you didn't and it seemed to stick to your character and have originality so that was a definite pleaser! All the background was fine though I personally would have liked a bit more detail in the mermaid part of it. Everything else was fine if I'm honest, definitely a fan of the dorky and hopeless persona to Kyung and how that plays out. Not a lot that needed changing, Crystal! Just the small detail part in the background and the typos but all in all, I am happy to accept your application (though it would be fabby if you could add in the background part!) and also, /sob/ great gif.
THRANDUIL:
Hello Crystal! Thank you for applying and like Sav said, we're glad that you've applied. Okay, so skimming through your app, I'd say it has the right amount of details in each section and there's nothing I see out of ordinary (layout is neat, everything is neat). Viki is a really nice face-claim to use since she's sort of a beach model and everything so it's all good. I mean, Sav has said everything I wanted to say and I didn't find anything out of the ordinary with your app and I have no complaints and since I'm not in the mood to ramble, you're accepted! /Sobs/ 

That was such a trash review. I am trash.
S T A T U Saccepted
peridot
PARK kyung
 
 seo ara
HWANSANG:
Hi, Sera, and thank you for applying! Dear god I'm just going to say right away that the length and detail and your app is beautiful and I enjoyed reading it but ugh, thank you for being so thorough. Her shell bra is super pretty too by the way. Down to the personality:  It was really lengthy but with the detail in it, it was a good amount! I definitely think Ara fits the Aquamarine plotline and I can't pinpoint certain parts to that because it was so concisely fitted to the traits which was great. She's in general really quite lovable. I'm glad you touched on her flaws too like her bad temper and the negative sides to her naivety. In terms of the relationships you provided they were great since you added more about how they interacted. I actually liked the rivals/enemies you included too, especially the mermaid fanatic who's out to prove their secret! It's something I can see working in the story for sure. 

Okay, whew, so the love interest. I would usually disapprove of EXO love inerests but ugggh I love Yixing so much and although I wouldn't have thought of him for this plot originally I think the way you described it, he does make a cute dolphin trainer, haha. I really don't have a problem with any of the section with Yixing and yeah, it wasn't too cliché and I liked it tbh. Especially the part about her being seeing as a little sister figure, not a "woman" haha. Ugh even your background was full of detail and that again was really accurate to the plotline and you touched on all the important parts like her being thrilled, wanting to tell Yixing and the girls chaperoning them was great! You even mentioned her having problems with washing up dishes and chores. I could go on- but tbh Sera your app was really thorough and I can't pick any faults out of it (so many great scene requests and omg don't even start me on the gif you chose of the idiots dgna) you're very gladly accepted!
THRANDUIL:
Hello! So the first thing I noticed was the messed up colors. And I'm guessing it's not your fault so I'll let it slide. Although it does bother me a bit. Secondly, THE DETAILS. It's gorgeous and I absolutely love it. Hwanhui is a really good face-claim for Aquamarine and I was sort of picturing the character having her face and all so brownie points for you. Sav, again, has said everything I wanted to say. Sooooooooooo I'm going to wing it right now. Yes? Okay. 

Although I'm not a big fan of EXO and woooooooow another person who chose EXO, Yixing is still an "okay" member in my book so yeah. It's fine and everything!!! I really liked their relationship and his personality so I had really no problems with it. Her background is also really details and damn those scene requests. ;u; But yas, the password. Ugh, 13 members in Topp Dogg and I still don't know all of their names aha. But thank you again, for applying!
S T A T U Saccepted
aquamarine
zhang yixing
 
 KANG RYEONHEE
HWANSANG:
Hi Sori, thanks for applying! At a first glance it's good to see that you put a good amount of detail in your application. I was a little confused with her nickname though so just to clarify- she makes her friends use the nickname even though they never see her go in the water (I'm assuming this is all after the transformation)? I thought her personality explained Ryeonhee well and you did incooperate some of Ruby's traits well but I did think some of it was verging more on Amethysts personality? Such as her being mostly moody and although you said she was witty she seems pretty tactless. So, yeah, it was detailed but there are some parts that need straightening up. All the detail in the relationships was great (but you forgot to add the age for her mother)

Ugggh, Zico is a great love interest choice for this plotline! I personally enjoyed the way you described his personality I thought it was pretty accurate for this plot. I also thought the first meeting was good and realistic, typical Zico just joining in to break stuff, lmao. The progression of their relationship was good, too, but in your relationships section you mention your character used Kyung to get closer to Zico but you didn't touch on it again in the app so if that is the case it'd be great to have a bit more detail with that! The background was great and I love the small details like her still using a straw to drink and paying her sister to wash dishes! OMG plot twist! I was not expecting Zico to be so disgusted but I really like that you chose for your character to have an unhappy ending. He seems completely traumatised by it since I'd have expected him to want to leak her secret but yeah, totally didn't see that coming. In your scene requests you mention a Hyunsoo but I can't see him anywhere in the app! Who is he? Anyway, there's just a few things that need altering Sori but after that there will be no reason not to change you to accepted! Thanks!
THRANDUIL:
Review coming soon!
S T A T U Spending
ruby
woo jiho
 
 KANG haneul
HWANSANG:
Why helloooo, Haneul and thanks for applying! I can't help but wonder if your username and you choosing the November plotline is a coincidence or not! Haha. In your languages section the answers were in 1st POV? I wondered if there was any reason for that. I have to say- the tail you chose for Haneul is gorgeous! Anyway, the personality is a steady, decent length, though unfortunately you did list too many traits, we only need 3-5 so if you could decrease them that would be fabby. Her being a 50/50 split person was well explained but some of them do seem a little too contrasting, such as being both quiet and loud but mostly, they seem okay. I found some of it confusing though like being sarcastic and mean but wanting people to like her really badly, it seems a little mismatched. Good to see all the detail with the relationships though!

Oh, Mark, I'm not really into GOT7 (at least not yet haha) but Mark is definitely my favourite from what I can tell, haha. And don't worry too much about his personality 'flowing' I grasped it well enough to get a feel for what he's like! All the relationship parts seemed to add up with them 'foreigner couple' baha, and it fits the bill! They do actually seem like they'd be a super cute couple.  Okay I do have one major criticism; I know you mention Youngjae as the best friend whom she turns to after her and Mark break up but there's not really enough mention of that (like in the background + the questions that follow it don't mention Youngjae at all) + we do feel like the neighbour/best friend will play a big part in this plot- even if the applicant chooses for their character to ultimately get back together with their boyfriend. I think this is because you suggest Mark finds out only after she's transformed twice- which doesn't leave much of a space for the development of the story... So it's not a problem that Mark is the main love interest! But I'd like it if you mentioned Youngjae's involvment more, and allowed for some more time inbetween her and Mark splitting up and getting back together. Anyway! Sorry for rambling but I hope that helped and made sense. So all in all, I liked your application but there are a few things that need changing here and there so if you could see to them we can change you to accepted!
THRANDUIL:
Review coming soon!
S T A T U Spending
yellow topaz
mark tuan

 

 

 

 

 

january ( o ) - febuary ( 1 ) - march ( 1 ) - april ( 0 ) - july ( 1 ) - august ( 1 ) - september ( 1 ) - october ( 1 ) - november ( 2 ) - december ( 0 )