6. Homework and Gym Class

Key In My Pocket

Jonghyun groaned in anger as he turned his back to the wall of the classroom, dropping his bag to the grey tiled floor as he slopped down the wall. This wasn't the first time he'd been in trouble, but normally he was just held after class for detention, or given an extra day or so to get the missing work. Of course the more times he messed up, the more harsh his punishments had become. Mr Yoo once kept him behind class and hit him a few times with the cane, that was undoubtedly one of the most awful punishments he had ever received during his time in school. He has wished that the school banned discipline like that, but it was allowed by law. It was meant to motivate the students to work harder and not slack about, but for the teachers, it didn't seem to work for Jonghyun.

At least one thing was sure; he had gotten done what he needed to before class started. Sure, he was in a lot of trouble now, but he was better off now than he would have been if he had failed to do the first job before class. This had been going on for a while now. Jonghyun was a smart student, and he'd never had missed homework, that was until he was made into a homework slave by the toughest gang in the school. He hadn't told anyone about it, he was too scared to do so. Rumours had gone around that the last time someone double crossed them, the student transferred schools to ensure they didn't run into the gang again, but no one knew if it was true. The only rumour that was true was the fact that the two eldest were once arrested for being in a street fight, which is why everyone was terrified of them. Not like the teachers could do anything, the court only pressed minor charges, so they weren't kicked out.

Jonghyun remembered the day when he was once pulled aside by the gang. He was sat in the library after school to do some private after school studying when the gang had walked in on him, giving him the demands that he would do their homework from now on. Out of total fear, Jonghyun agreed. It all went wrong from there. The gang would give their homework to Jonghyun, expecting it to be done in time for the date, and as they expected, Jonghyun did as they told him to. He eventually found it a struggle to cope with doing their homework, as well as his own, and started to fail his own homework deadlines. That's when everything got worse, and punishments started. Sure, Jonghyun knew that the teachers couldn't understand why one of the best students started to fail, but it's not like he could tell them the reason, he didn't want his face rearranged by the leader.

A long sigh left his lips as he shook his thoughts away about the past, he had Mr Yoo to worry about right now. He wasn't sure what his teacher was going to do, and frankly, he wasn't too excited about finding out either. It was moments like this when he wanted the earth to swallow him whole. School was the worst place for him. Not only did he have to cope with the gang and strict teachers, but he was also the school target. Besides Onew, Minho, and Taemin, no one ever spoke to him unless it was to throw an insult to him, mainly about his height. It wasn't like the students had any reason to hate him, they just followed the gang's actions, and copied them like brain-dead sheep.

It wasn't long until Mr Yoo stepped out of the class, towering over Jonghyun, who bit his lip and slowly got back on his feet. "What the hell is going through that thick skull of yours?" Mr Yoo's words were harsh, but at the same time, were filled with some concern. "You used to be a great student, top of the class, and now look at you!" Jonghyun bit his lip as the teacher's hand roughly pushed through his dyed hair. "Your hair is a mess, your grades are dropping, and I just can't seem to put any sense into you. Do you think I enjoy being like this to you?" Jonghyun slowly lowered his head in shame, scared to say anything to the elder. "Yah, I'm talking to you Kim Jonghyun!"

Jonghyun took a deep breath, trying to steady his breathing so he could talk properly to his teacher. "I'm sorry Mr Yoo... I guess I'm just finding everything hard right now..."

"Is that all you have to say in defence? You're finding it hard to cope with?" Mr Yoo's voice had a slight sarcastic tone to it, sending a cold shiver down Jonghyun's spine. "You could manage it before, but now it's like you don't even try anymore! If you can't handle simple tasks like homework, you won't be able to cope in the real world!" The two went silent for a while, before the eldest broke the tension with a sigh. "You've let me down too many times, and despite your impressive start, I can't tolerate this behaviour for much longer. I think it's best if you go to the principal and talk to him about this matter."

"I don't think that's necessary Mr Yoo." The two males suddenly turned around to reveal Miss Song Ji-Hyo, the teacher from a few classrooms down the hall. The slim female walked over to them with a sympathetic smile on her face, her eyes focused on the trembling student. "I think there's been a mistake with the homework assignment hand in."

Jonghyun's head slowly fell to one side, confused by the teacher's sudden statement. He was certain that Miss Song must have been covering for him for some strange reason. He hadn't done his own homework.

"I found Kim Jonghyun's homework in my own pile. I'm not sure how it got there, but the evidence is right in my hand." Miss Song handed the paper to Jonghyun, who almost stopped breathing when he instantly recognised his own words. "I'm guessing he lost, or got it taken from him while in the school premises this morning."

"He gave me the impression that he failed to do it, after he arrived late for my class again." Mr Yoo snapped, folding his arms as he watched his student look at the paper. "If this is your homework, then why didn't you say anything in the first place?" The teacher glared at Jonghyun again, making the student freeze in slight fear.

Miss Song sighed, gently patting Jonghyun on the back. "If I was in his position, I would also be too scared to say anything." Jonghyun froze at that, thinking that the truth had been figured out. "You can be pretty intimidating at times, even I get the chills talking to you when you are a foul mood Mr Yoo." Miss Song smiled as Jonghyun continued to stare at the paper. This wasn't right, his name was clearly written on the front page, but he wasn't the one who wrote it. More importantly, it meant that he had accidently double crossed the gang, and he was certainly going to be hunted down after this.

"Well then I guess all I can do is let him off on this case." Mr Yoo grabbed the papers from Jonghyun's hands, causing the student to jump in shock. "But understand that this is your final warning. Do you understand me Kim Jonghyun?"

Jonghyun slowly nodded his head, frozen on the spot as if the whole school's temperature had suddenly dropped to the minuses. "Y-Yes Mr Yoo. I understand." The teacher sighed and pointed to the door, indicating for him to return to the classroom. With heavy feet, Jonghyun obeyed his teacher, picking up his bag and walking to the door. Only one thought crossed his mind as he was greeted by the eyes of his classmates. "I'm dead." 


Jonghyun sat in silence for the whole of the class. His mind was too full of worries to focus on studying. He had barely written anything in his study book, which wasn't normal for him at all. The only thing on his mind was the punishment he would receive at the end of school. He didn't mean to double cross the gang, it just happened on it's own somehow.

By the time the bell rang, Jonghyun piratically ran to his next class. He had gym for his next lesson, and unfortunately for him, all the gang members were in the same class as he was. Gym was the worst of out his classes. Not only did he have to go through the same class with his worst nightmares, but he was never good at it. Sure, looking at a book and taking notes was child's play, but running fast, doing long jump, or trying to play most sports was an impossible challenge when he had short legs. Minho was really good at gym though. He had the height for it, and sports was something that Minho enjoyed to do in his spare time.

Jonghyun was the first to arrive in the boys' changing rooms. His plan was to be the first changed, so he could get into the gym hall before the gang caught up to him. He was certain that the gang wouldn't lay a finger on him if they were in a public area. He quickly threw his school jacket and shirt off, whipping the tie from his neck, and pulling his gym top on. He stumbled a few times as he was trying to quickly pull his gym shorts on, but he got there eventually. A cold sweat ran down his back as the door to the changing rooms suddenly opened, the loud chatter of his classmates echoing around the room as they began to find their places to get changed.

"..." Jonghyun muttered under his breath as he quickly pulled his trainers on, not bothering to fasten them until he had gotten into a safer environment. Despite hearing his friends call after him, Jonghyun didn't look back. Instead he ran out the other of the changing rooms, out into the large gym hall, and right into one of his teachers. With a yelp, the two males suddenly fell to the floor, the eldest dropping a large bucket of dodge balls, that scattered and rolled across the room.

"Yah, watch where you're going! Now you're going to pick all these up!" Jonghyun looked to his side, staring into the angry eyes of one of his gym teachers, Lee Kwang-Soo. Jonghyun bowed his head. He was trying to apologise to his hyung for his mistake, but his voice failed him again.

"What's going on here?" The two males suddenly looked to the gym entrance, where the head gym teacher stood with one of the balls under his left foot. "Yah, Kawng-Soo, why did you drop the balls everywhere?"

The other gym teacher sighed as he pushed himself up, picking up the now empty metal basket. "Aish, hyung. I wasn't planning of dropping them everywhere, Kim Jonghyun bumped into me!"

The older teacher shrugged, pointing around the hall. "They aren't gonna put themselves back in the basket. Hurry up before the others arrive!"

Just as he demanded, Kwang-Soo quickly began picking up the stray balls, dragging the basket with him. "Yah, you're not the only gym teacher here Kim Jong-Kook! Shouldn't you be getting the student to pick this mess up?"

"He'll clean up after class, until then you can make yourself useful." Jong-Kook snapped back, before glaring at Jonghyun, who was still sitting on the floor in a daze. "Yah, Kim Jonghyun. Have you forgotten how to tie your shoe laces? You want me to tie them for you?"

Jonghyun quickly came back into reality, shaking his head as he started to tie his laces before the teacher fulfilled his offer. "Ani hyung, I can manage." If Jong-Kook tightened them, Jonghyun would lose the feeling in his feet within seconds.


After a few minutes, the whole class was in the gym hall, waiting to find out what activity they were going to do for the hour. Jonghyun was in the far corner with Onew, Minho, and Taemin, talking amongst themselves. Jonghyun only managed to listen to half of the chatter though, his main focus was across the hall, where he could see them. The gang were talking amongst themselves, and it didn't look like a pleasant chat either, it was more like a scene of evil plotting. For a brief moment, his eyes linked with the terrifying eyes of the gang's leader, causing Jonghyun to gulp as he noticed a wicked smile on his lips.

"Jonghyun!" Minho harshly slapped Jonghyun's shoulder, getting his full attention. "You weren't even listening to us where you? What's wrong with you today? You seem more distant than usual."

"Nothing's wrong. It's just an off day for me today, that's all." Jonghyun looked to his friends, who all looked at him in slight confusion. "I'm just thinking about Key, that's all. I'm worried about him trying to escape while I'm gone."

Taemin opened his mouth, but quickly bit his lip to stop himself from saying anything. As much as he wanted to tell Jonghyun that Key was actually stored in his bag, he also didn't want to get the Chibi into trouble. "I-I'm sure he'll be fine hyung."

"I really hope so. He tried to escape during his bath yesterday, ended up going a bit deeper than he intended. If I wasn't there, I wouldn't have a living pet right now." Jonghyun grumbled as Key suddenly came into his thoughts. Despite Key being a little pain in the , Jonghyun somehow was growing fond of that little package of mischief, or was it just the worry of Minho hitting him if he ever failed to look after his new pet? Either way, Key was heavily engraved in Jonghyun's mind.

The chatter was soon halted by Jong-Kook, who blew his whistle to gain everyone's attention. "Ok everyone, I don't wanna hear any complaints, moans, excuses, or negative comments when I say... dodge ball!" Jonghyun felt his heart freeze on the spot, knowing that he wouldn't be walking out of this without at least 6 bruises, one from each gang member. The whole class stayed silent as the oldest teacher instructed them to get into different teams. "You'll all play until the last 10 minutes of class. Losing team gets to clean the gym hall after class, so give it your all."

"Yes hyung-nim!" The students bowed as they ran to the sides that they were put in, gathering as a group to create their game plans.

Jonghyun bit his lip as Minho came up with a good game plan for the team. Being a natural talent in sports, Minho was always the best to turn to for game plans. Some even considered him as the miniature Jong-Kook. Jonghyun was a bundle of nerves, unsure if he was blessed not to be on the same team as the gang, or cursed as he had to now face the gang in the vicious game.

"You can spend the whole lesson planning, but it won't do you much good." Everyone suddenly stopped listening to Minho, who turned to see the gang's leader with his arms folded. A wide grin appeared on his face as he tried not to laugh mockingly at Minho's serious glare. "I'll admit, you have a few decent players, but it won't make a difference. I'm not bothered about winning the game, as long as I reach my own goals in the game."

Jonghyun bit his lip as he stepped back behind Onew, trying to hide himself from the leader. Minho rolled his eyes, taking a step towards the opposing team. The tension was thick enough to be sliced with a knife. "You know what your problem is Yongguk? If you put as much effort into trying to be a decent person as much as you do to run that big gob of yours, you may have been someone that I wanted to get along with." Yongguk narrowed his eyes at the team's leader. "But I guess once an , always an ."

The gang leader suddenly went silent, a look of anger appeared on his face. The rest of his team gasped as they noticed the leader's rage. "Bastard!" Himchan suddenly stepped forwards, protecting his leader. "At least Yongguk is a man! He's more man than you will ever be!"

"So threatening anyone who crosses him is being manly? Pathetic." Minho spat back, turning his back to the gang, who were blazing in fury. Minho had always had anger towards the gang for his own reason. He was once offered the chance (or more like forced) to join the gang, but Minho constantly refused. After that experience, he'd always wanted to protect everyone from the gang. He wanted to rid everyone of that gang full of scum.

"Yah, You shouldn't have turned your back on us! That will be the biggest mistake you've made!" Daehyun called to Minho, who waved him away like he didn't care anymore.

"You guys never shut up do you?" Onew sighed, walking to the back of the hall to start the game. "Best, Absolute, Perfect? Time to prove it."

The other team walked to the back of the hall, talking amongst themselves as Jong-Kook and Kwang-Soo placed a row of the dodge balls in the centre of the game court. "You know what I want doing during this game." Yongguk whispered to his 5 gang members, before glancing at Jonghyun, who was fidgeting about as Minho gave them all one last pep talk. "Make sure it gets done."

Jongup nodded, getting in the ready position to run. "And if we can't hit the bastard?"

"Not that we won't try hyung!" Zelo quickly butted in, making sure he didn't offend the leader.

Yongguk narrowed his eyes, a evil plan suddenly forming in his mind. "Aim for his friends."


As you all voted, I made the gang B.A.P! I'm not a big fan of them just yet, so I hope that I can so their characters some justice. Also, sorry for the lack of Key in this chapter. I just wanted to focus a bit more on Jonghyun for this chapter.

So this chapter was supposed to include the dodge ball game, but I was worried that it would get too long. With over 3,000 words, the whole game would have been too much to add, and it would work better as a different chapter.

My next update will be of course, Runaway. Please look forward to that, and don't forget to write a comment! :)