5. First Day At School

Key In My Pocket

Jonghyun yawned as the sunlight peaked through the curtains, threatening to blind him as he started to awaken from his sleep. A groan escaped from his lips as he forced himself to sit up. He was still half asleep, which was normal for the lazy male. "Aish... I'm too tired for this today... I don't wanna go..." Jonghyun let himself fall back into his bed, pulling the covers over his head to block out the known world, or least attempt to.

"Go where Jonghyun?" Jonghyun slowly pulled the cover from his face, and looked to the side where Key's cage was. Key was already awake, and sat in the plastic wheel, his legs swinging off the side of it. The Chibi smiled as the human sighed and looked over at him with tired eyes. "So, where are you going today Jonghyun?"

"School?" Key's head cocked to the side, his eyes narrowed with a confused gaze. "I do not know what school is. Is it fun? What do you do at this place called school?"

Jonghyun sat up again, rubbing his eyes to try to wake himself up. "School is anything but fun Key. School is a building where you face hell, with only your friends and the thought of a decent career to motivate you." Jonghyun looked back at Key, who looked lost at his explanation. "You have to go there 5 times a week, study hard, play sports, that kind of deal. It's not fun for me though." Jonghyun's face fell as he thought about the day ahead, school was the worst place that he had ever been. It was so bad, that he was even certain that if he went to jail, it wouldn't be as bad as school.

"Then why do you go if it's so bad? Can't you just stop going to school?" Key pushed himself of the wheel, landing with a stumble before walking to the cage walls to get a closer look at Jonghyun.

"I have to go to school Key, it's the law. If I don't go, then I can't get a job, and if I don't get a job, then I wont have money to live, and I'll end up living on the street." Jonghyun rubbed the bridge of his nose, yawning again as he tried to force his brain to fully awaken. How could he explain such a difficult situation to Key? The smaller male's species probably lived such a different life compared to the humans.

Key frowned in sympathy, he tried his best to understand Jonghyun's feelings, but it was difficult when he wasn't exactly opening up to him. "But I live on the streets, and I get along just fine."

"Your kind may be able to do that, but humans can't survive by living on the street!" Jonghyun sighed in slight frustration. How could he explain such a difficult situation to Key? The smaller male's species probably lived such a different life compared to the humans, so he wouldn't understand. "Just forget about it, I don't have time to explain it right now, I'll be late." Jonghyun swung his legs out of the bed, slowly stretching his arms out as he grunted in tiredness. "Given the incident last night, I will allow you to go without a bath this morning. We can just try again tonight. I'll let you out to change, just don't try to escape, ok?"

Key nodded as Jonghyun unlocked the cage. The thought of escaping still lingered in his mind, but if Jonghyun was giving him this much freedom, he didn't want to abuse it too quickly. The last thing he needed was to be kept in that boring cage all day. Key quickly jumped onto Jonghyun's hand, allowing himself to be placed on Jonghyun's desk where the pile of clothes where placed. As soon as Jonghyun's hand was on the table, Key literally leaped off and ran to the clothes pile, diving into it to pick out an outfit.

Jonghyun rolled his eyes as he left the Chibi to change, taking his own change of clothes into the bathroom to prevent his pet from seeing him in the . "Aish, he is so strange..." Jonghyun mumbled to himself as he closed the bathroom door, and the shower.


Key watched Jonghyun, who was shoving food down his throat at an alarming speed. The human had only just served the rice breakfast, but he didn't have time to allow it to cool, instead he was too busy panicking about getting to school on time. He never even choked on his rice once, which indicated that he had already done this many times before. "Shouldn't you eat it slowly? You could get sick if you force down food like that."

"Says the guy who ate two noodles, that were about twice the height of himself, in under 20 seconds last night!" Jonghyun snapped back, still not slowing down his eating pace. "I can't wait until it cools, I have to meet someone before school, and then get to class on the other side."

"Why not just meet them after school ends?" Key suggested, only to receive a shake of the head from Jonghyun.

"Has to be before school." Jonghyun put down his chopsticks and picked up his bowl, scurrying off to the kitchen to tidy up the mess. Key blinked a few times, before shrugging and eating a few grains of rice with the makeshift chopsticks that Jonghyun made for him. "I'm going to be away for the whole day, so I'll leave the rice out for you to eat. I don't have much right now, so I'll go shopping and buy you food to eat after school."

Key hummed as a response, his attention turning to a pile of paper that was left on the desk, next to various textbooks, notebooks, and some pens. The Chibi left the food and walked to the paper, reading it in curiosity. It wasn't anything special; just homework. Unnamed homework for that matter. "Aish, how can he hand this in if it hasn't got his name on it?" Key muttered to himself, looking around for something to write with as the pens were too big for him to hold. After a little look around, Key got into Jonghyun's art supplies and found some black chalk. "Not exactly what they normally use to write, but I guess it's better than no name at all..." Key muttered to himself as he wrote Jonghyun's name on the top of the paper in the chalk, being careful not to smudge it as he did so. "There, that will save him from getting in trouble!" Key announced proudly to himself.

"I have to go or I won't make it!" Jonghyun ran out of the kitchen, swooping all the books, papers, and materials away from the stunned Key. "I'm trusting you not to run away while I'm gone, you'll not be doing yourself any favors ok?" Jonghyun placed his bag on the table, trying to make sure he had everything before he ran off. "Aish, I forgot my gym kit!" Jonghyun ran back upstairs, leaving Key alone.

The curious Chibi looked at the bag, wondering what other items Jonghyun had to take to school. Just what exactly was this school place all about, and why did he need to go there? There were so many unanswered questions whizzing through his mind, and he certainly didn't want to have to wait until Jonghyun came home to explain it all. Key wanted to experience it for himself. Besides, what harm could it do? Without a second thought, Key climbed the fabric of the bag, and slipped into one of the side pockets. He hugged his knees as he sat in the corner of the pocket, staying close to the inner wall of the bag and hidden in the shadows to ensure Jonghyun wouldn't notice his hiding place.

"Ok, I'm going now Key. Are you gonna be ok?" Key bit his lip as he heard Jonghyun's voice suddenly above him. All it would take was for the human to open that side pocket, and he would be in serious trouble. "Key?" Jonghyun looked around the room as he picked up his bag, trying to locate his little Chibi pet. "I guess he's just wondered around the house. Probably sorting out the pile of clothes I gave him." Jonghyun shrugged to himself as he pulled the bag on his back, rushing to the front door and slipping his shoes on. He wasn't practically worried about the Chibi for now. He has already locked the windows and doors, and Key was still a bit weak from his fall and bath incident yesterday that he wasn't likely to make an escape.

Jonghyun locked the door behind him, running down the street as fast as he could. Just like most days, he was close to being late for homeroom. All the adults rolled their eyes at the younger, who almost tripped as he skimmed around the corner. He heard various comments about from from the elders, but didn't have chance to reply or explain himself, not unless he wanted to miss the gates closing, which he couldn't afford to. If he was late on this particular day, he wouldn't be able to survive the west of the year. He'd pay for it.


Minho sighed as he looked at the clock. There were only a few minutes until the homeroom teacher got there, and Jonghyun's seat was still empty. "He's going to be late again."

"He's always late. Why is this such a surprise to you?" Onew looked up from his book, and over at the taller male, who sighed in frustration again. "He was most likely making sure his new pet is ok before setting off. I never wanted to leave when I had my little Hammy to look after."

Taemin looked around the room, waiting for his hyung to arrive. "You'd think he'd take better care to be on time after what the teacher said to him." Minho and Onew hummed in agreement, knowing Jonghyun should, but just wouldn't. The last time Jonghyun was late, he'd been told that serious actions would be taken the next time he was late. Of course, that threat only worked for a few days before Jonghyun began to slack off again.

"After the fifteenth time, I'd stopped counting." Onew looked back at his book, trying to find his place. "Maybe it's best to give up trying and let him face punishment."

"I agree with you." Minho looked at the clock for a final time. Jonghyun had no chance of making it now. "Besides, we have our own problems to worry about. We can't let Jonghyun's slackly and laid back attitude pull us away from our studies. If you ask me~"

The group was paused in shock as Jonghyun ran in the room, crashing into Onew's desk as he literally dived to his desk, throwing his bag on the chair. Without a word, Jonghyun pulled open his bag, feeling around for the papers that he had put in there before. His hair and uniform was a total mess from his mad rush to the school, but that was the last of his problems.

Minho folded his arms, leaning close to Jonghyun's desk that was beside his own. "You know, if you'd set off sooner, you wouldn't be late for class every morning. An alarm could be helpful you know?" Jonghyun ignored him, pulling out the papers that he needed. "Further more, Taemin and I are younger than you, and we seem to have more sense than you have in your pinky finger! If teacher finds out you're late again~"

"I'll just leave my bag at the desk here, and he will see that I was on time. You don't have to lecture me all the time frog eyes." Jonghyun quickly snapped, running back out of the room, and down the hall, leaving his friends confused in silence.

Taemin looked at his hyungs, who shrugged and started to get out their textbooks. "Aish, I wish Jonghyun hyung would just behave himself for once..." The younger paused in shock as he suddenly noticed something in Jonghyun's bag. A small male suddenly popped his head into view, looking around curiously at the new surroundings. Taemin had to bite his lower lip to stop himself from flipping out at the sudden sight. If anyone was to see him, it would be a disaster. Without taking a moment to think, Taemin knocked his open pencil case on the floor by Jonghyun's desk, laughing awkwardly as he took his time to pick up the fallen items.

Key's face lit up as Taemin suddenly appeared in front of him. A wave of excitement took over the Chibi as his favorite human came to view. "Hi Taemin! I didn't know you went to this school place too. Isn't this exciting? I've always wanted to~"

Taemin quickly put his finger to his lips, signaling Key to stay silent. The Chibi cutely copied the humans actions, shushing himself in an adorable manner. "You can't be here Key! If Jonghyun sees you, he's gonna flip out!" Taemin whispered shouted, trying to be as discreet as possible. "You can't be seen by anyone but the people you already know. If the police find out, they will send you away to find out the Chibi species!"

Minho slowly looked around at the younger, raising his eyebrow at his unusual behavior. "Are you alright Tae? You're kinda talking to yourself..."

"I'm fine hyung." Taemin quickly pushed Key backward in the bag pocket, hiding the Chibi back in the shadows. "Just thinking out aloud." The younger quickly picked his things up, just in time for the teacher to walk into the class room.

As the class president, Onew stood up immediately, addressing the class to do the same. "The teacher is here. Welcome him with kind respect." Everyone bowed and greeted teacher Yoo Jae-Suk, who bowed to the class and requested them to sit and prepare for the announcements.

"Good morning class. It's good to see you all here and ready to learn." Mr Yoo looked over to Jonghyun's desk, sighing as he saw the seat empty. "Well, most of us at least. This comes as no surprise to see that a certain someone is late as usual." Just as Mr Yoo walked to his desk to get the announcements, Jonghyun sneaked back into the room, being careful not to make a sound. "Late again are we Kim Jonghyun? I expect you have not forgotten my warning the last time this happened." Jonghyun froze on the spot, biting his lip as he heard the teacher walk towards him. "Face me when I'm talking to you! Answer the question!"

Jonghyun slowly turned around, gulping as he saw Mr Yoo holding the long bamboo cane that he kept for discipline purposes. He hated that damn cane, wished that it was banned like it was in other countries, but he had no luck in that matter. "I did not forget your warning seonsang-nim. I was on time today, but I had to run off to~"

"I don't care if everything you own is on that desk, if you aren't physically here when I get here, you are late. Do you understand me?" Jonghyun silently nodded, his body tensing up from the thought of him being struck for punishment. "Not only do you come in with your uniform and tatty coloured hair messy and unappealing, but you constantly fail to meet my rules."

"Please forgive me seonsang-nim. I'll do better next time~"

"Next time? How many times have you said that to me? Yah, do you think of me as a pushover?!" The class suddenly tensed up as Mr Yoo raised his voice to a shout. No one had ever seen him so mad before. "I suppose you even forgot to do your exam paper, so I won't even ask for it." Jonghyun slowly lowered his head. Mr Yoo was right, he had forgotten to do it, despite having over a week to do so. "I see... Kim Jonghyun, step out of the room for a moment."

"Yes seonsang-nim." Jonghyun bowed and turned to walk to the door, his head down to avoid making eye contact with his friends, who he knew would be looking at him in disappointment.

Mr Yoo cleared his throat, causing the student to freeze in fear. It was never good when a teacher did that towards a student in trouble. "Take your bag with you. It's unlikely you will be coming back in my class."

Jonghyun felt like he was stabbed in his throat, a burning sensation took over his body as he almost choked on air. There was no way of getting out of this one.


Turns out Jonghyun is a slacker, who knew? XD Not to mention what trouble Key is going to cause in the school! Plus, what happened to Jonghyun's homework?

As the story isn't that popular yet, let's say 7 comments for a update.

Thanks for waiting. I hoped you liked it. X