6

Underground Rappers

It had been weeks since Nahyun worked at the bookstore. The employees are so nice and the owner of the bookstore is a woman around 40’s. There’s also a small café bar in the bookstore so the readers could read while enjoying some nice drinks from the bookstore’s bar. Nahyun opened up a box that contains some new books that just arrived few hours ago. Someone tapped her left shoulder softly. She turned her head to the left and look up. A guy with black hair was standing behind her.

“Yes? What is it” Nahyun continued her work. The guy shyly sat beside her, checking the new books.

“Can I help you Choo Minwoo?” Nahyun turned her head to her right and looked him in the eyes. The guy who shared the same age with her chuckled a bit, embarrassed.

“Want to have some lunch together?” he helped Nahyun with counting the total of the new arrivals.

“Sure. I am almost done with this.” Nahyun wrote the last digit on the paper then she closed back the box. She’ll put all of the books on the shelves later.

“I’ll put this at the back. Go change first.” Minwoo said while standing up. He bent down and lifted the box to put it at the back store. Nahyun patted his shoulder and ran to the staff room to change her clothe. Minwoo was the first worker that spoke to her first. He’s known as a shy boy but he seems comfortable around Nahyun. Minwoo is also a son of the shop owner.

She started to take off her work shirt and hang it in her locker. Every employee got their own locker so it’s easy for them to keep important stuffs in there. She took out her casual clothe that hanging in the locker. Suddenly the staff’s room door opened and Nahyun saw Minwoo’s eyes were on her body. He turned around and closed the door. His breath becomes heavy.

“I am so sorry,” He said loudly. He didn’t mean to look at her fair skin. He thought Nahyun was changing in toilet and no one’s in the staff room. Nahyun’s cheeks become so red. She forgot to lock the door before changing her clothe. She cursed herself silently. She put on her clothe quickly and grab her jacket. As soon she done, she walked out from the staff room. Nahyun saw Minwoo was leaning against the bookshelf across the staff room. She walked towards him with a serious face.

“Sorry ’bout that,” Minwoo looked down. He’s so embarrassed. He really didn’t mean to.

“It was my fault too. I forgot to lock the door,” Nahyun gave him a small smile before spun her body to the right and straight to the main door. Minwoo smiled in relieve. He suddenly remembered something.

“Wait, there’s a guy wanted to meet you.” Minwoo held on Nahyun’s wrist and pointed at the small table beside the big glass. A guy with a blue denim jacket was sitting there with a book in his hand. Nahyun raised her left eyebrow. Who is that?

“I’ll go first. Meet you at the restaurant! Don’t late!” Minwoo walked out from the store and headed to the restaurant. Nahyun walked slowly to the guy that Minwoo pointed earlier. He was too focusing on his reading.

“Yongguk?” Nahyun’s eyes widened. She quickly took a seat across him and pulled the book down. Yongguk pulled a face when someone disturbed his reading.

“What are you doing here? You shouldn’t be here!” Nahyun lowered her face and kept looking outside of the big glass beside her.

Yongguk took out a brown envelope from his denim jacket pocket and put it on the table. The envelope looks so thick. He cleared his throat before he explained everything.

“This is the money that you keep asking from me.” Yongguk crossed his arms on his chest and leaned back. He took a glance at Nahyun’s reaction. She’s too slow to get the situation right now. He scratched his sideburns.

“Look, I‘m sorry about your phone and... the kiss,” Yongguk’s voice become lower at the last words. He looked away and fanned his self. Why it is so hot in here?

NaHyun trying to recalled the last time he met with the guy in front of her. Her cheeks were starting to burned as soon she remembered it. She looked down trying to hide her reddish cheeks.

“Are you coming to the basement tonight?” Yongguk was trying to change the topic after both of them silent for a while. He took a sip of his coffee. Nahyun reached out her hands and slowly take the envelope in front of her.

“Why?”

“Gloss and I are going to have a rap battle,”

“WHAT?!” Nahyun almost fell off from the chair. She held on the table tightly. The customers were starting to glance at both of them. Nahyun cursed herself once again. She grabbed Yongguk’s arm and dragged him outside.

“You shouldn’t! You can’t!” Nahyun screamed loudly. They shouldn’t have a rap battle. It’ll be a World War III.

“Why?” Yongguk frowned with Nahyun’s reaction. What’s with this girl?

“Be... because... You need to pay for the kiss!” Nahyun shut her eyes tightly. Oh my god, this is so embarrassing. Yongguk gasped and rubbed her neck. He doesn’t know what to do.

“By! by not doing the rap battle.” Nahyun continued her words. What a good excuse Yang Nahyun. She smiled in satisfy.

“Fine.”

“Cool! I need to go now. Thank you for the money!” She bowed her head down and turned her body around. She ran to the restaurant that he promised with Minwoo to have a lunch together.

“Late!” Minwoo pointed at Nahyun as soon Nahyun sat across him.. Nahyun just give him a small smile and a small bow. They ordered some food and few minutes the foods they ordered arrived.

“Hey, I need to go to ATM later. Is it okay if you come along with me?” Nahyun took a big bite of her ribs beef into . Minwoo nodded and swallowed his food.

“I need to bank in some money to my grandpa’s account,” he scooped another spoonful of rice and headed it to his mouth. “Cool,” She took the last spoonful into . What a meal!

“Thank you for the meal,” she putted her both hands together and bow a bit. Minwoo was also finished his meal. They both stood up and were ready to leave.

‘I’ll pay,” minwoo walked over to the counter and took out his wallet and some bills to pay. Nahyun smiled for a while. ‘I like this guy’ She walked out and waited for Minwoo.

“Thank you for paying,” Nahyun nudged Minwoo’s shoulder and he chuckled a bit. They both went straight to the nearest ATM.

Nahyun took out her credit card and slide it in the machine. She pressed he PIN numbers and few options popped out. She clicked on the ‘Check Balance’ section. She waited for a few seconds and few digits and words popped out from the screen. She sighed for a while and take out her credit card. When is she going to stop doing this?

“Is everything okay?” Minwoo stand by her side when his business is settled. Nahyun shook her head in smile. They quickly went to the bookstore to continue their work.

---

Hayoung pulled out another tissue from the box beside her and wipe her tears that keep falling down. She then took a few popcorns in front of her. The movie she’s watching right now really touched her heart. How dare that guy choose money over his own children!

“I’m home...” the sound the door opens make Hayoung paused the movie. She saw Nahyun walking slowly towards her. Her messy hair makes her looks so scary. Nahyun took off her thick jacket and threw it on the floor. She’s too lazy to hang it on a hanger. She landed her body beside Hayoung, making her lap as her pillow.

“How was work?” Hayoung sniffed a bit.

“Good...”

“Anything happened?”

Nahyun sat straight when she remembered something. Her hand s in her bag and took out a brown envelope. She threw it in front of Hayoung. Hayoung looked at the envelope and Nahyun for few times. Hayoung peeked to see what’s in the envelope. went ‘O’.

“Where did you get this money? Oh my god, Yang Nahyun... please don’t tell me that... you...se-“

Nahyun smacked Hayoung’s back head with her hand before she could continue her words. “Stop being stupid, you stupidass. I didn’t sell my body. Yongguk stopped by at the bookstore and he gave that to me. I’m going to cut your head off if you think such things again.” Nahyun stood up and her right hand is on her hips, looking down at Hayoung’s innocent face. “I’m going to sleep,” Nahyun yawned and glanced at the clock on the wall. Almost 10 p.m. It’s a great time to have some rest after having a hard day.

“Hey, pick that jacket up!” Hayoung shouted loudly when she saw Nahyun is heading to her room. “Bleeeehhhh,” Nahyun mimicked her and picked her jacket up.

 

“You should leave early,” the father said with his husky voice. He gulped another shot of alcohol. The mother went straight to the fridge to have some water. They’ve been talking about this since Nahyun born.

“Why?”

“Stop giving the kid more hope. I don’t want her to cry as soon you leave both of us,” He looked down on the floor. Either he doesn’t want her to leave. But people around them keep against their marriage.

“Can I take her with me?”

“No. Your mom dislikes her, remember? I don’t want her to get the hate from your mom.”

The mother became speechless. He was right. Everything he said was right. They keep arguing over the same thing. She doesn’t want to leave her own family but her husband keeps telling her to leave for her mom’s sake. They always end up fighting over this matter. She hates it. He hates it. Everyone wants to live in a happy life. But the world is so cruel. Cruel to her and her family. Is it really wrong to against the ‘wealth people aren’t allowed to marry poor people’? They want to change the world and show them that they are wrong. But they aren’t strong enough to take people’s hates.

“I’m so sorry,” she looked away, trying to hold her tears from falling. Her mother wants her to leave her husband and her daughter as soon as possible.

“I’ll leave tomorrow.” She said with her soft voice. As soonshe stood up, she saw her daughter by the stairs looking at both of them. A tear fell from her right eyes. No.

“Nahyun...”

“I hate you.” She leaved a paper on the floor and ran upstairs. Not looking back. She hates the word ‘leave’. She wants her to stay with them. Forever.

The mother picked up the paper and tears are gushing from her eyes. The father took another shot of alcohol and cried in silent. The room is filled with sound of sobbing.

‘MOM, DAD. LET’S WATCH SNOWS FALLING TOGETHER’

 

Nahyun woke up when she felt something came out from her eyes. She touched the fluid and sighed. She got off from the bed and went straight to the kitchen. Her mind was still processing the dream she had just now. Without she knows she lost her grip and dropped a jug of water.

Hayoung went out to see what was going on. Her eyelids were still close and she forced herself to wake up. She saw Nahyun sitting on a dining table with her arms covering her face. She moved her sight to the floor and saw a jug and water covering the floor. Without words, she cleans the floor up and put the jar in the sink.

“Let’s sleep. It’s almost 3 a.m.” Hayoung poked Nahyun’s arms. She heard someone was sobbing and her eyes opened wide. She quickly took a seat infront of Nahyun. “Hey, what’s wrong?” She rubbed Nahyun’s arms trying to tell her to calm down.

“Can you knock me out so I can have amnesia?” Nahyun was starting to talk. Her voice becomes a little bit husky. Hayoung shocked with her words.

“Why should I?”

“I want to forget things. But I can’t. I hate it. It keeps coming to me and makes me weak.”

Hayoung went to stand by her side and she kept patting Nahyun’s shoulder. Everytime winter comes, Nahyun always have this kind of dream. She often woke up in the middle of night and cry. Hayoung knows her friend very well. She seems tough at the outside but no one knows what she had been through alone and makes her like this.

“Do you want to sleep with me tonight?” Hayoung whispered beside Nahyun’s ear. Nahyun slowly looked at Hayoung. All Hayoung could see is anger and frustrated. Hayoung wiped off the rest of her  tears on Nahyun’s face. She pulled Nahyun’s hand and dragged her into her room.

Hayoung was ready to land on her bed but she stopped when she saw Nahyun was still standing. She smiled and dragged her again to her bed.

“C’mon,” Hayoung lied down and patted the space right next to her. Nahyun is afraid to go back to sleep. She might have a same dream again.

“You are going to have a sweet dream. Don’t worry. I’m here. Right next to you,”

Nahyun started to smile when she heard the comfort words. She lied down next to hayoung and looked up at the ceiling.

“There. Good girl,” Hayoung fixed Nahyun’s comfy and looked at Nahyun’s face, innocently.

“Thank you.”

“Nahh...you don’t have to mention it. You helped me a lot back then. I’ll do the same to you too,” Hayoung slowly closed her eyes and is ready to fly back to her dreamland.

“Say... do you want to see snows falling tomorrow? I heard they are falling starting tomorrow.” Hayoung said with her eyes closed. She closing her body with Nahyun’s to get the warmness.

“Snows?”

“Uh hum...” Hayoung slowly went to her dreamland.

“Sounds... great...” Nahyun answered softly and tried to close her eyes back.


p/s: just for you guys information, 'Nahyun' is not 'Nahyun' in sonamoo. I only used her name for this character. She's nothing to do with my story lol just want to clear  the misunderstanding. Hope you guys understand >< and sorry for not update this story for so long!