12

Underground Rappers

The cab passed by few buildings that they used to go when they were back from school. He smiled when he saw a little boy around 8 years old holding hands with a little around his age. He turned his head to his left and saw Nahyun’s head looking down. He lent his shoulder for Nahyun to sleep. She slowly put her head on his shoulder with her eyes still close. He looked back at the outside. They already entered their neighborhood. The long ride on the bus made both of them tired. Even though all they did was just sitting in the bus. The used a cab to enter the small neighborhood.

He pulled Hayoung’s hand to the kitchen when Namjoon went to the toilet. “What’s wrong with Nahyun?” he asked, half whispering. He moved his eyes to Nahyun’s room. Hayoung did the same.

“You don’t know? About her parents?”

“What about her parents?”

“They divorced and her dad died in a car accident. She was the only one that saved in the accident.”

His eyes widened. He didn’t know anything since her family suddenly moved away 10 years ago. He didn’t get the chance to meet her before they moved. He looked at her room with sympathy look. He really didn’t know anything.

“I don’t really know what happened to her mom. But I’m pretty sure she cries because of her mom,”

The cab’s driver stopped his car and hoped off. Yoongi shook his shoulder a bit to wake her up. She opened her eyes slowly and yawned. Yoongi smiled looking at her. He got off from the cab and went to the back to take out their luggage. Nahyun got off from the cab to do some stretching. She bent down and touched the ground and stood straight again. She did it few times before looking around her. She turned her body to Yoongi that was paying the fare to the driver.

“Is it really okay if I stay in your house? I mean, your dad is strict about girls coming to their house.” Nahyun looked down on her bag. She kept asking the same question since they leaved the house. He smiled when he heard the same question. He hugged her shoulders and walked to his parents’ house.

“He knows you so I’m very sure that he doesn’t really care about it,” Yoongi looked at his side and smiled. She returned the smile and nudged his body a bit. They walked along together with their bags in their hands. Nahyun crossed her eyes when she saw a snowflake fell on her nose. She looked up to see the snows falling from the sky. She stopped for a while. Yoongi stopped as well and looked up.

“What’s wrong?”

Nahyun closed her eyes and felt the cold snows fell on her face. Her lips curved into a smile. “I’ve always wanted to do this with the one I love,” she looked at her side. Yoongi smiled when she smiled at him. He putted his hands in his jacket pocket, looking up at the sky.

“C’mon. My mom is waiting for us,” Yoongi walked away when he still saw her looking at the sky. Nahyun startled a bit and started to run to him that was already headed up. She ran back to a convenience store to buy something. Yoongi turned his body when he didn’t hear steps. He walked back to the place where they stopped.

Nahyun bowed at the cashier when she received the balance. “I should at least buy something right?” Nahyu held up the plastic bag in front of Yoongi’s face. They then kept walking through the old buildings that they used to hang out together with other friends.

Yoongi pushed the small gate in front of his house. His dog greeted them with a happy jump. Nahyun ruffled his dog when he jumped at her. He went straight to the door and pushed the bell button.

“Who is it?”

Yoongi cleared his throat “Delivery!” he said with a totally different voice. Nahyun was still playing with his dog at the front gate.

We didn’t order anything?”

Yoongi scratched his head, thinking for a new excuse. “It’s... uh... delivery from Min Yoongi,” he held his laugh. He covered his mouth with his hand. ‘Oh my god, mom is so cute.’

“Okay! Wait a minute!”

Nahyun walked to Yoongi that was still standing in front of the door. She saw him covering his mouth and his body was shaking from holding his laugh. Nahyun rolled her eyes. The door swung open and his mom was screaming when she saw her son. “Oh my god!”

Mrs. Min immediately hugged him for a long time. She patted on his like a little child. “You are naughty! I thought it was a delivery guy!” she smacked on his shoulder. Yoongi burst into a laugh. She looked on her side and saw Nahyun standing still, smiling at them.

“Yang Nahyun?” she tilted her head to the side. Nahyun nodded slowly. “Oh god! You are so big now!” she then hugged her and patted her as well. Yoongi giggled at the scene. His dad appeared at the door when he heard the noise.

“Hello, dad.” Yoongi fully bowed to his dad, taking off his snapback. His dad replied him with a small nod. He moved his eyes to Nahyun. Nahyun saw him and did the same like Yoongi. Mrs. Min pulled her shoulders back and made her standing still. She took a look at Nahyun’s face. “You look so beautiful.”

Nahyun smiled when she kept staring at her face. “Where is your mom? I didn’t see her in a long time tho,”

“Mom...”

“I was shock when I heard that you guys were moving,”

“Mom,”

“Are your parents coming along too?”

“Mom.” Yoongi called his mom with a strict tone. Mrs. Min turned her head to her son. He was staring at her for a long time. Mr. Min cleared his throat when all of them silent for a while. “Come in. It was cold outside,” he dragged his wife inside. Yoongi rubbed his back neck. He looked at Nahyun that was looking down on her feet.

“Ignore her. She’s always like that.” Yoongi opened the door for her. Nahyun looked up, forcing a smile. “It’s okay. Let’s go!” Nahyun walked in with a broad shoulder. She should enjoy this holiday. ‘I should enjoy this.’

Nahyun putted the plastic bag on a table. She took off her jacket, looking around the house. It’s been a long time. Yoongi followed her behind. Mrs. Min appeared from the kitchen, bringing out cups of hot green tea. Nahyun helped her put down the cups on the table. Mr. Min already sat on the chair, watching the television.

Yoongi sat down beside him and handed him a cup of green tea. He took it and had a sip. “So, uh... can Nahyun stay here for a while? I mean... until-“

“She can use your brother’s room.” Mr. Min cut his words. Nahyun looked up at his dad’s face. It’s emotionless but it still makes her happy. Yoongi let out a relieved sigh. He turned his head to Nahyun and grinned.

“You’re going to stay here?” Mrs. Min brought out some snacks that Nahyun bought. Nahyun nodded her head few times. She sat next to Nahyun and caressed her thigh. She missed her a lot. “You are so pretty,” she said again, staring at Nahyun’s face. “Why I don’t have a daughter?” Mrs. Min whined and turned her head to her husband. Mr. Min cleared his throat again. “Go change your clothes. It’s soaking wet.” Mr. Min looked at the younger. They both stood up at the same time.

“Oh by the way, hyung is not coming home?” he stopped in front of his mum. “No. He has exam upcoming. It’s his last year tho,” Mrs. Min answered slowly, not looking at his son. The television showed a documentary about their recent president.

They both brought their bags along. Nahyun stopped at the hallway looking at the rooms. Yoongi turned his head to the sight. “What’s wrong?”

“I forgot which one is your brother’s room,” Nahyun looked up at him and chuckled. Yoongi laughed a bit. He led the way and opened the door for her. The room was full with posters and books. The bed sheet is white and so does the curtain. Nahyun putted down her bags and looked around the room. They used to sleep in this room with Yoongi’s brother.

“Thank you,” Nahyun turned her head around. Yoongi smiled in return. He closed the door slowly and walked to his room. He pushed the door open. The old figures and posters that he used to collect and buy with his money were still in the room. His dad was so mad when he found out that he bought useless thing. He almost threw it away. But his brother hid it all under his bed. Yoongi chuckled as the old memories hit him.

He took off his wet shirt and took out a new shirt from his closet. The knock on the door made him turned around. He walked to the door and opened it a bit. Nahyun was standing there with new clothes.

“Still changing?”

“Come in.” He opened the door wide. Nahyun covered her eyes when she saw him shirtless. “, wear your shirt first.” Nahyun said half whispering. He looked down on his body and laughed out loud. He putted on his shirt.

“Done.” He said, still laughing. Nahyun putted down her hand and rolled her eyes. Yoongi picked up his bag from his bed and took out few things like his notebooks and pens. He’ll write some random lyrics when something came up into his mind. She lied down on his bed, rolling for a while.

“I thought your dad already threw the figures,” she pointed at the figures that were standing still on the table. He sat down next to her “No, my brother helped me hid the figures.” He laughed a bit. Nahyun turned her head back to stare at the white ceiling. She moved to the side a bit when she felt someone pushed her body. Yoongi lied besides her, looking at the ceiling too.

“Nahyun,”

“Hmm?”

Yoongi looked at his side and turned his body. He supported his head using his hand with his elbow on the bed. “What did you say to Yongguk?” he observed her face. The smell of her hair was very nice. The eyeliner that she putted was still perfectly fine. He couldn’t find the small mole that he saw on the cab last week. She didn’t remove her make-up yet.

Nahyun was still looking up at the ceiling. “Well, I told him I just like him as a friend,” she let out a sigh. The answer that he gave to her really make her frustrated. Yoongi patted her on her head “Good. Now let’s go out.” He got off from the bed. She whined for a while when she heard the word ‘out’. She was too tired to do anything for a moment. Yoongi smiled and pulled her off the bed “C’mon,” and pushed her to the door.

They met with Mr. Min when they were at the door. Nahyun bowed her head a little to him. He coughed a bit “You both are grown up now,” he walked away to his room when he said it. Yoongi rubbed his back neck, looking at his father. She punched his stomach softly. He made an ‘ow’ sound. She walked to the kitchen to see Mrs. Min.

He slouched on the soft couch. He let out a sigh for a while. It was almost 7 months since he had his last visit in Daegu. He went to Seoul when he was at 14 years old. He followed his brother. At first his father really against it but his mom really supports him to follow his brother along. He had a very hard time at that moment. But at the same time he enjoyed doing music.

“Hey Yoongi, your mom asks us to go buy some things.” Nahyun slapped his thigh when she saw him staring at the black television. He didn’t even switch on the television!

Yoongi jumped a bit when he felt something slapped his thigh. He looked up and saw Nahyun was already getting ready to go out. “Where are you going?”

“God damn it, Yoongi. Just go get your damn jacket and follow me.” She flew her hands on the air. She was too tired to say the same thing all over again. Yoongi ran to his room to grab his jacket and headed to the door. Nahyun already wear her sneakers. Yoongi wrapped his hand around her shoulders and grinned at her. She just rolled her eyes.

“Don’t be so late!” Mrs. Min shouted from the kitchen. He closed the door behind him. His dog got up from the sleep when it heard the sound of the door. She went to the dog and patted on its head. They were the one who found the dog when it was a puppy. They were playing together and found it in a box under a tree. It was summer and that day was totally hot.

What should we do?”

He walked back and forward, thinking what they should do. He glanced at the puppy that was lying in the box with its tongue out. It looked so thirsty. “You wait here. I’ll buy milk or something,” he said to Nahyun and ran to the nearest convenience store.

She patted the puppy on its stomach. It opened its eyes a bit and tried to get up. She took it out and held it in her arms. The puppy made a whimper sound when she touched her. It looks so skinny and thirsty. She turned her body around when she heard a sound of steps. Yoongi ran to her with a carton of milk and straws in his hand. He handed her the milk and straws. He can’t say anything because he was trying to catch his breath.

Nahyun poked the carton milk with the straw. She putted her thumb at the end of the straw so the milk will stuck in the straw. She took out the straw and tried to give the milk to the puppy. It opened its mouth a bit. She slowly moved her thumb from the hole. “Drink more,” she putted back the straw in the milk and did the same action. She repeated it few times. The puppy started to sit on her laps and keep its head up to have the milk.

“Is the puppy full now?” Yoongi squatted beside her. The puppy stopped drinking. It hoped off from her laps and went to Yoongi. It did a little jump at his foot. Nahyun giggled a bit when it fell back on the ground. “I think so,” She picked the puppy up and held it in air. The sound of the insects filled the environment. How could someone leave a puppy in a box under a tree in this kind of weather?

“So what are we going to do with this puppy?”

“I don’t know. My dad dislikes dogs.”

Yoongi looked around him. He saw his older brother walking to their home with his friends. “Hyung!” He ran to his brother. Yoongi stopped when he reached him. His brother told his friends to go first. Yoongi pulled his brother’s hand when his friends are leaving. “What is it?”

Nahyun showed him the puppy. He rubbed his back neck when he saw the puppy. Yoongi hugged his arm “Can we? Can we? Can we?” he pouted his mouth to his brother. His brother looked at the puppy and then to Yoongi that was doing the ‘please’ eyes. He grunted for a while. “Let’s ask dad first. Come one. It’s so hot.” He fanned himself. Nahyun and Yoongi high-fived each other. They moved their eyes to the puppy and grinned.

Yoongi took the plastic bags on the counter while Nahyun pay for the things they bought. Both of them bowed their head to the girl and went out. She checked for the balance she received. It was already dark. It was almost 7 p.m. They need to hurry to go back home so his mother can cook. Most of the things they bought are for Mrs. Min.

She felt something hit her arm. She looked her right. “Sorry! Can you pass the ball back?!” a guy around 17 years old yelled at her from the corner of basketball corner. She saw few guys were there too. Yoongi picked the ball up. “Can I play?”

“But your mom-“

“Just one shot- no. Five shot. Please?” he putted his hand together. She checked the time in her phone and took the plastic bags from his hand. “Fine.” Yoongi jumped a bit and ran to the boys. They started to play when Yoongi threw the ball at them. He was against with the other guys. Surprisingly, only by his self could score two points. Nahyun smiled, watching him celebrating by himself. The guys were surprise too.

Yoongi dribbled the ball when someone blocked him at his back. He faked his move by moving a bit to his left. He quickly moved to his right and threw the ball at the rim. The ball perfectly entered the rim. Yoongi threw his hands to the air. The other guys were glaring at him. A guy picked the ball and started the game again. He threw it to his teammate. Yoongi’s eyes were stick on the ball. When they were passing the ball Yoongi snatched the ball from them. He dribbled the ball to the other rim and slam dunk the ball. Yoongi hanged on the rim for a while before he jumped to the ground. He waved at Nahyun that was already sat on a bench.

Nahyun checked on her phone. She called Yoongi to stop playing. He bowed his head towards them. “It was nice playing with you guys. You guys are great!” He put out his thumb. The guys were panting from playing with Yoongi. They bowed with full of respect to Yoongi. He patted a guy’s shoulder. “I’ll see you again.” Yoongi ran towards Nahyun that was patiently waiting for him.

“Come on. Your mom is worried.” She turned her body and walked away. It was already 7.55 p.m. Yoongi barely catch her and walked by her side. “I was great wasn’t I?”

Nahyun rolled her eyes to the side. “Yeah, it was really great.”

Yoongi used to play basketball when he was in school. He even joined a club. He loves playing basketball. He loves the sound of the ball getting dribble and the sound of shoes squeaking when he ran. The sound of the ball hitting the rim.

“You kinda look cool though.” Nahyun said in a slow tone. Yoongi punched his fist to the air. “I know I looked cool!” he was skipping to his house while whistling. She shook her head slowly and chase him that was already ahead.

“Wait for me!”

---

The sunlight ray was hitting straightly into his face. He groaned a bit. He pulled the comforter to his head and turned his body to the side. He felt something wet on his face. He then felt something was breathing heavily in front of his face. He opened his eyes and saw his dog was his face. He pushed his dog a bit.

“Wake up sleepy head.” Nahyun was standing by the door, watching his dog keep his face. Yoongi slowly get up from his sleep. He was still on the bed. His dog climbed up on the bed and sat in front of him.

“I’m going to walk him. Do you wanna come along?” Nahyun called the dog to get off from the bed. He shook his head slowly. He shooing them away and got back to sleep. She pulled his comforter off and revealed his shirtless body. She turned around with her red face.

“Ge... get up. Your mom is waiting for you at the living room.” She walked out with the dog. Yoongi slowly got off from his bed. The cold air was hitting his bare skin. He looked down and saw his shirtless body. He chuckled a bit and grabbed a sweater.

“How’s your sleep?” Mrs. Min asked as soon she saw Yoongi walking out lazily to the living room. He slouched down on the couch. He leaned his head on the resting arm. He mumbled “Good,” answering his mother.

“We’ll have breakfast after your dad is coming back from his jogging.” Mrs. Min got up from her seat and walked to the kitchen. Yoongi reached a remote control with his feet.

“In this weather?” he asked as he switched on the television. He switched every channel. “Yeah. I don’t know what is in your dad.” She said a bit loud from the kitchen. Yoongi switched off the television. A ringtone came from his phone. His hand sneaked in his pants pocket and took out his phone. He slid the green icon call.

“Yo”

Hyung! When are you going to come back to Seoul?”

“Why?”

“Jiho is going to make a party on New Year night.”

“So?”

He’s inviting you.”

Well, I’m here until 27th. I think I can make it.”

Cool! I’ll tell Jiho.”

“Cool.”

What are you doing?”

Just woke up. How are things there?”

Nothing really happens. Where is Nahyun?”

She’s walking with my dog. How are you with Hayoung?”

Wha... what do you mean?” Yoongi could see his flustered eyes. He laughed a bit.

“You know what I mean,” Yoongi saw his father walked in with a small towel in his hand. “I need to go now. Bye.” He hung up the phone and stood up to meet with his father.

“I’ll bring you wa-“

“No, no. It’s okay sit down. Your mom will bring for me. I need to talk to you.” His father cut his words and sat down across him. Yoongi took a seat too. He fixed his hair and sit straight. Mrs. Min brought in a glass of water for her husband.

“What is it?”

His father took a sip of water and putted it down on the table in front of him. “About Nahyun.”

---

She was sitting on the bench watching Yoongi’s dog picking up the ball she threw. It came back to her with a ball in its mouth. She took it and threw it again. She decided to take a short walk before it came back to her. She smiled when the memories hit her slowly. She could see the young her playing under the tree with other kids. She went to the tree and saw her name and Yoongi’s name. They used to hide all of their ‘treasure’ under the tree.

She went back to the park and saw Yoongi’s dog was sitting in front of a stranger. She quickly ran to the dog to take it back. The stranger was looking down. It put its head on the stranger’s laps and looked up on her face. It made a few sound.

Nahyun quickly pulled the dog’s leash away. “I’m so sorr-“

The stranger looked up and wiped her tears away. “It’s okay. I’m sorry.” She got up and walked away. She accidently hit her shoulder with Nahyun’s. Nahyun was still standing there. She knew that person. She recognized that face and that voice. Her legs became weak. She fell down on her knees when the old memories hit her hard.

“Mom...?”

 

 


sorry for the late update ;;; I'm busy preparing things for my college. Yeah... i'm going to start my college soon so maybe I won't update it regularly. I'll update when I can. sobs wish me luck guys ><