VIII

My Not So Charming Prince

I feel so useless. I've been pampered and spoiled since I was born. I never learned anything that could've helped me at this point because I never thought that I would've needed to. Now this happens?! This should've happened to me, not her. She didn't deserve any of this. Then he felt tears rolling down his cheeks, but he didn't stop them. He's too upset about Amber, too disappointed about himself, to even care about his selfish needs. Then he thought of wrapping up Amber's wound first. So he got up, piggy backed Amber, and carried her to the waterfall. Thankfully this time, he remembered how to get there without Amber's assistance. He place her carefully right next to the waterfront and started cleaning her wound, hesitating a little bit each time. But what he really was hoping was that it wasn't infected yet. Next he took his long sleeved outer layer off and ripped the bottom half off, making sure that the arms and top chest are still connected. Next, he thoroughly washed the piece of cloth that he ripped off, folded it nicely in a square and placed it on too of Amber's wound. Then he use the top part of the shirt he ripped to tie the cloth in place.

"There." He whispered to himself. Although he didn't know whether or not this will work, at least it's stopping the bleeding. He piggy backed Amber back and into her tent. Then he attempted a fire. Thankfully, he's watched Amber enough times to know how to start one. He gathered dry wood, dry leaves, one long slightly bendable stick, a dry wooden plank that has washed up on shore, and a rock with a hole on it, then he built the fireplace and made a bow using the slightly bendable stick and one of his shoelaces. He took the knife that the maniac used, washed the blood off, and cut a slit in the wooden plank. He took one dry leaf and stuck it in the slit. He the sharpened a thick stick, so it could be used as a drill. He took the bow, the drill and pointed it on the plank, just next to the dry leaf. Then, he took the rock with a hole in it, placed the hole of the rock on the blunt end of the drill and started spinning the drill back and forth with the bow as fast as he could. For the first 10 minutes, he got nothing. He kept trying but another 10 minutes has past, still nothing. "God! How does Amber do it so quickly?!" He complained. He rested his hand for a bit, and then attempted to try again. After 20 more minutes of frustration and attempts, he finally got a spark to get the left that was stuck in the slit the light up. Quickly, he removed the leaf from the plank, careful not to burn himself, and tossed it in the fireplace. He started waving small bits of air into the fire and soon, a fire has started. He laid down on his back, tired but proud. "I did it!" he said proudly to himself. He warmed himself up a little, and then went to go get the fish they hunted earlier. He took one for himself and one for Amber, just in case she wakes up. Ge didn't dare to go take the ones from her tent though. Without wasting any time, he thoroughly washed two sticks, just as Amber has taught him to, stabbed the fish through, and started roasting them by the fire. He laid down on his back a stared up at the sky. The sun has almost completely set, letting the sky turn midnight blue and the orange rays disappear beyond the horizon. Then he got up to go get Amber. He didn't want get to catch a cold without any warmth so he laid her down next to the fire. He looked at her, full of wonder. I must admit, you look pretty cute when you're asleep. he thought smiling. I didn't understand why I was so worried about you earlier, but I think I finally understand. he thought, her hair. "I'm sorry for betraying you in the past. I really am." he whispered, wondering if she could hear him. "I-" but the sound of Amber waking up cut him off, startling him to retract his hand. "Amber?" he called out. Amber's eyes slowly flutter open and tears of joy overwhelmed him. "Amber!" he cried happily. "You're alive!" he was extremely tempted to jump up and give her a huge hug but he held it back.

"Of course I'm alive you dim wit." she responded. She wanted to get up but when she made it so that her elbows were propping her up, she let out a small and quiet sound of pain. The pain shoot through her, from her wound, to the rest of her body.

"Careful!" Key yelled, holding and supporting her. But she collapsed in his arms.

"Aigoo..." she whispered. Then she looked around, past Key's shoulders and sniffed the air. "Key... The fishes are starting to burn."

"Crap!" Key yelled. He carefully put Amber down and check on the fish. Thankfully it wasn't too burnt. He could scrape off the outer burnt layer and the taste wouldn't be affected that much. He walked over, helped Amber up and handed her a fish. "Here you go. Hopefully it doesn't taste too bad.

"T-thanks." She says. She was hesitant at first, but she took the fish and bit into it. "Not bad for a rookie." she teased in a monotone voice.

"Thanks." he responded. Then Amber turned to look at him and raised an eyebrow. TKey noticed that she was looking at him strangely so he jerked his head back. "What?"

"Did you eat something wrong?" she asked.

"Why do you ask?" he asked back awkwardly.

"Because you seem different. Like a lot happier than usual. Which is weird. And you don't normally bother to help me to this extent, let alone make food for me." she mentioned.

"Oh yeah. About that. I want to thank you. For taking that knife in for me. And for teaching me so much during our time on this god forsaken island." he thanked, slightly blushing. But thankfully, the orange light coming from the fire doesn't make his blush too noticeable. Amber stared at him for a bit, her jaw dropping, not believing her ears or what just came out if his mouth.

"Okay. It's official. Something is definitely wrong with you. Maybe I'll take you to a doctor when we get off of this island." she said.

"I'm serious!" Key yelled. Amber jerked her head back, not knowing how to respond. Then her eyes softened.

"You're welcome." Then she got back to eating her fish. There was a long and awkward silence between them. When Amber was done her food, she attempted to get up to get rid of the bones but because she lost so much blood earlier, the energy in her body was drained and she lost balance when she got up.

“Careful!” Key yelled, catching her. Amber was light headed and tired. She wanted to look up and thank him but instead, when she looked up, she couldn’t say anything but staring into his eyes. Key opened his mouth, wanting to ask if she was okay, but nothing came out. They both had so much to say, but it was spoken in silence, in their minds. Key stared into her eyes, not knowing what to do, not realizing that he was slowly inching towards her face. They both breathed heavily out of their mouths, mesmerized in each other’s eyes. Amber noticed that their distance was shortening, but she didn’t stop it. Somehow, she longed for this moment and so did he.They were so close to each other now, yet they felt too far apart. Soon, their faces were so close that they could’ve kissed, but by that point, Amber shut , shut her eyes tightly and pushed him away, landing on her feet, trying to regain her balance. Oh god. What just happened?’They both thought, asking themselves the same question. Amber felt her legs go numb so she slowly lowered herself to the ground.

“Amber…” Key started softly. “I’m sorry. I-” then Amber cut him off.

“I’m sorry too.” Amber said. Somehow, she felt like she knew what he was going to say next, but she didn’t want him to continue. She didn’t want to hear it.

“No. I was going to say-” then she cut him off again.

“Key. I think I know what you’re going to say. And I’m afraid to be right. I don’t want to hear it and I don’t want to go through it again. At least, not with you.” she said.

“...Sorry” he managed. Then there was a long silence. Dazed, she got up and shuffled her way back to her tent for the night.

“Good night.” she said before disappearing into her tent.