V

My Not So Charming Prince

Amber slept in Victoria's room that night, afraid to go back to her room where Key was waiting just beyond the door. Victoria has informed the other princesses of Key's plans and they all agreed to kick him out of Seongnam forever. Not just for Amber, but for the safety of the citizens in Seongnam and the queen's throne. When Amber woke up, she was ordered by Victoria the next morning to go find someplace and clear her mind while Prince Key was ordered to the main hallway along with Mr. Lee along with their luggage. Victoria comes down the stairs with a straight face. She may look like she's giving a blank expression but she is furious under her skin. Soon, the other princesses has followed behind Victoria, all of them with the same blank expression but furious.

“Prince Key of Pohang and his adviser Mr. Lee.” Victoria started.

“At your service Your Majesty.” they bowed, taking a big gulp.

“I have heard about your doings together and I am extremely disappointed.” Victoria continued. “You have attempted to take advantage of princess Amber to take the throne. Unacceptable.” she said, trying her best not to explode, keeping a queen's image as much as possible.

“Wait, how? Amb- I mean, princess Amber hasn't left her room all night! How'd you-?” Then Key was cut off.

“It doesn't matter how I got the information. But I will tell you this, information travels around faster than anything you've imagined. Practically everyone in this palace knows. And as punishment for your attempts, I forbid the both of you from stepping into Seongnam ever again. You are given until next morning to leave Seongnam. Now, if you'd please-” then Key cut her off.

“Wait! You have no proof that we did any of that!” he argued.

“You're right. I have absolutely no proof that you have attempted all that and just by the ears of one princess may not be enough. But I do have proper reason to suspect that you have attempted to do so. Therefore, under my suspicions, I forbid you from Seongnam, just even as a safety precaution. Now, please get out of my palace now or I will not hesitate to get my guards to force you out.” and with a swing of Victoria's cape, she turned around and headed up the stairs with the princesses trailing behind her, giving Key and Mr. Lee an ice cold glare before officially leaving the hall. Two guards are walking towards Key from the bottom of the stairs to make sure he doesn't do any funny business.

“Prince Key.” one said gesturing him to the door.

“I know where the door is! Don't touch me!” Key shouted. “Mr. Lee! Let's go!” he grunted with a sharp turn for the door. Mr. Lee carried all the luggage and caught up with Key.

“Sire! What now?” Mr. Lee asked.

“What do you mean what now?” Key responded furiously. “We've been kicked out of Seongnam no thanks to that stupid princess Amber! All we can do now is go home!” then he stormed off to the dock.

~

Amber took in a breath of fresh air. Although it wasn't as clear as it used to be, the breeze coming from the beach soothed her, as it always have. The beach is like a sacred place to Amber. It's not sunny today. she thought sadly, looking up to the sky. I guess even the sky wants cry with me today. She took in another deep breath. She sat down on the warm sand, bringing her knees up to her face, hugging them tight against her chest. Resting her chin on her knees, she watched the waves kiss the sand and roll into itself again. It didn't take long for the sky to turn dark and gloomy. Soon, it started to pour like someone in the clouds has just the faucet but she remained in her cradled position, staring at the water as the droplets bounced off of it. Everyone around her are either opening umbrellas or running away to someplace to stay dry but no matter what they did, she refused to get up. Then she felt water in her eyes and rolling down her cheeks, no knowing whether if it was from the rain, or from her own tears. But she didn't care. All she knows is that something is crying. Then she buried her face in her knees, not knowing what to think. The rain comforted her in some way she didn't understand, but it felt like she was being cleansed by the water. Then suddenly, it stopped raining, but rain sounds were still able to be heard. She looked up to the what's in front of her, it's definitely still raining, just not on her. She looked further up and Key was standing their, shielding her with a red umbrella. He looked at her but she refused to acknowledge.

“Go away.” she said softly. “You've done enough damage already.”

“How'd you get out of your room without actually leaving?” he asked.

“What's it to you? Why is it important to you? Why do you care?” she shoot back softly. She couldn't project her voice. She didn't have the courage to. She felt numb all over. She felt like the world is ending for her. She felt the need to die. But she didn't have the energy or strength to do so.

“I don't care what's happening to you. I was just curious as to how you got out. But since you're not going to bother to tell me, I'm not going to keep asking. But I need to talk to you." He continued.

“Then talk.” she said carelessly. “Go ahead. Say everything that you have always been longing to say to me. The way you really think. As if you haven't said enough.”

“Not in public.” he said between his teeth.

“What is it? What is so important that you need to say to me but you can't say in public? Your doings has already spread all over the palace. Soon, everyone in Seongnam will know, and then the rest of Korea. Word travels fast around here prince. There's no use in hiding, they'll all find out eventually.” Amber shot.

“You're not going to understand. You'll never understand. Just follow me to somewhere more private.” Key said.

“What's the need to? This beach is already deserted besides me and you. Why would you need to go anywhere else?” Amber asked.

“That's the problem. We're not alone. I'm being followed by one of your people. I'm supposed to leave by tomorrow morning.” Key admitted.

“And that has anything to do with me because?” Amber asked.

“I need you to come with me. If I take you to somewhere more private, then they can't follow us there.” Key explained.

“What's the need to?” Amber complained.

“Just come!” and with that, Key grabbed her arm, forced her to get up, and dragged her to his ship where they can talk more privately. “Mr. Lee, order the crew off the ship so that we can have a private conversation.” he ordered.

“Yes Sire.” Mr. Lee said with a bow. And with that, they were left alone on the ship. The ship rocked back and forth unstably but it didn't stop them from continuing the conversation.

“We're alone now. What do you want?!” Amber asked furiously.

“Why'd you rat me out?!” Key asked finally.

“Is that why you wanted to be alone with me? So that you can yell at me without losing your face in front of everyone?” He didn't say anything so Amber continued. “I did it because you were going to attempt to hurt my sister Victoria. If I didn't rat you out, then something would've happened to her. I'm not going to let that happen!” Amber yelled. “It's a good thing that she is kicking you out of Seongnam. And judging by her personality, you're probably forbidden to ever come back.” she smirked.

“How can you smirk at me like that?” Key shouted.

“You deserve. You deserve all the punishments that you're receiving. Actually, you should be thrown in jail, never to come back out.” Amber yelled. Then Key lifted his hand up, ready to slap her. Then she walked closer to him. “Hit me! I dare you! I bet that you don't even have the guts to. But even so, there's no use in hitting me when you know that you're the one who's wrong.”

“All I wanted was the throne!” he said, fiercely putting his arm down.

“You could've had it in many other ways. Not by force.” she replied.

“No! That was the only way I could've gotten it. And it only takes people like you to ruin everything!” He yelled.

“People like me? What do you mean by 'people like me'? People like me are only trying to save the good from the bad from people like you!” Amber yelled back.

“People like you. Worthless and naive. You know, you would've never been here if you were as cautious as Victoria was. You were never fit to be a princess.” he said.

“I know. I know perfectly well that I was never fit to become a princess. But I didn't choose this life. I trusted you because I thought it was right. Not because I was naive. You're the one who's naive. Did you really think you would've succeeded? Almost anyone would've done the same thing I did unless they were truly stupid enough to watch their loved ones die in front of them.” Amber yelled. The boat is rocking fiercely now, causing Amber and Key to fall over. Then Mr. Lee came rushing in, trying to keep his balance.

“Mr. Lee! What's going on?!” Key asked.

“The ship is-” then Mr. Lee was cut off by a loud noise. The metal chain that was connected to the anchor snapped. Leaving the ship to ride in the waves of the river which drowned them out into the vast sea. “that.” Mr. Lee finished. The boat is rocking hard, back and forth. On top of that, it's raining, making the dock incredibly slippery. Amber eventually gave up on trying to get up and thought that it was more practical to stay lying on the ground. But the ship was so unstable, everyone on board are slipping from one side to the next.

“Mr. Lee! Can't you do anything?” Key asked through the loud pouring rain. Mr. Lee's jaw suddenly dropped and the ship stopped rocking.

“Uh... Sire?” Mr. Lee asked.

“What?” Key responded furiously. Then Mr. Lee pointed to what he saw. Amber and Key's eyes followed. A tidal wave, about 20 ft tall, is about to eat up the ship.

“Uh... Mr. Lee?” Key said not taking his eyes off of the giant wave.

“Yes Sire?” Mr. Lee responded, not taking his eyes off the wave either.

“I can't swim.” Then all eyes turn towards him.

“What?!” Everyone else said in sync. Then, the wave devoured the ship. Breathing heavily, Amber struggled to keep her head above the surface. She looked around her. Wooden boards and debris from the ship float past her. Then with a couple of bubbles, Key splash his way to reach the surface of the water, grabbing onto the first thing he can reach to keep his head above water. Then another wave came for them. Amber took in a deep breath and went underwater to avoid being attacked by water. When the wave came down, she came back up to the surface but Key has disappeared.

“Key!! Mr. Lee!! Where are you guys?!” Amber shouted. But it's hard for her to project her voice since the water pressure is already compressing her lungs. “Key! Mr. Lee!” But it was no use. The sound of the waves and the pounding rain is muffling her voice so she gave up eventually. Then she spotted an island not far from where she was. Using the last of her energy, she swam for it. It probably took her about 30 minutes of non-stop swimming but she made it there finally. Breathing heavily, she rested herself on shore. She was tired and hungry but she eventually faded to black.