XII

My Not So Charming Prince

Note from NorthMelon:

Behold....... CHAPTER 12!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In my opinion, this is my favourite chapter out of the rest. You guys will not be disappointed ^^ 

One more note, this story is almost over. Two more chapters and you'll get to see how this all ends. But, I may change the ending a bit depending on how you guys react to the story, and if you guys would also like a spin-off, please let me know in the comments below!

Hope you guys enjoy~!! 


Key was given permission from the queen to be able to stay in a nearby hotel until he has a boat to go home with. Lying on his bed, he doesn’t stop thinking about Amber. He flashes back to all the things they've been through together. From the first moment they met, to when Amber saved him with first aid. From them catching fish together, to Amber saving him from that knife. Especially their time together when they were in Gyunhyeong village were the most memorable. He decided that he was going to tell Amber how he felt. How he truly felt. How he finally felt. Whether she was going to accept him or not.

It was raining the next day, but that didn't stop him. He ran up the palace steps with his orange umbrella and knocked on the door. One of the servants answered it.

"Why if it isn't prince Key. How are you today?" she asked.

"I'm good thank you." he responded. "I'm here looking for princess Amber."

"My apologies prince but her majesty has given strict orders that you are not permitted to see her again." she told him.

"Understandable. But I have something important to tell her." Key explained.

"We can help you send a message. But you're not permitted to see her." she enforced.

"Please. I beg you. Let me see her." Key begged.

Just beyond the door, Amber and Victoria are giggling there way down the stairs, noticed that there was someone at the door, but wasn't able to see who it was.

"Who is it Samantha?" Victoria asked, walking towards the door. Amber wanted to follow but Victoria had told her to stay put, so she did so. Samantha whispered into Victoria's ear and then she looked over Samantha's shoulder and tried to shoo him away. Amber, curious and frustrated, walked closer to the door.

"Who is it Vic?" Amber asked.

"It's no one Amber. Go to your room." Victoria ordered.

"No Vic. I-" then Victoria cut her off.

"Amber! Go away!" Victoria yelled. "I have something to deal with here."

Then suddenly, a voice was heard over the loud pouring rain.

"AMBER! It's me! Can I talk to you?" Key shouted. Amber want to accept his request but then Victoria responded for her.

"No you may not and I think that the both of you should go." Victoria shouted.

"Your majesty, I have no intention of being rude or to deny your request but all I ask for is a moment with princess Amber. Could you just-"

"No. You asked me a question and my answer is no." Victoria shouted, cutting him off. Then he knelt on the ground, dropping his umbrella on the ground, letting the rain pour on him.

"I'm not leaving until I see her!" Key shouted through the rain.

"Go right ahead." Victoria shouted back, slamming the door in his face. He didn't flinch because he knew he deserved it. But his determination to see Amber again helped him stay strong and to not give up.

"Vic! What the heck is wrong with you?!" Amber yelled.

"Protecting you." Victoria mumbled.

"Keeping me away from him is not protecting me!" Amber shouted.

"It is Amber!” Victoria said, frustrated.

“In what way?” Amber asked angrily.

“In ways that you won’t understand. I don’t want you to go through the same thing again.” Victoria told her.

“Can’t you tell that’s he’s changed? He’s not the same Key that we first met and knew. I told you everything about what happened when we were stranded didn’t I?” Amber argued.

“That’s just what you think he is doing. He’s probably plotting another way to hurt you again.” Victoria told her.

“No. That’s not it. You don’t know him as well as I do!” Amber said.

“No. What you don’t understand is that you’re naive and arrogant. That’s what got you heart broken in the first place. You trust people too easily. It’s not like that’s a bad trait but especially around people like him, you should watch out for him.” Victoria explained, trying to calm down.

“Fine. Then let’s say that we can’t trust him. But at least let him tell me what he wants to tell me. Even for just a few seconds.” Amber begged.

“No Amber. In fact, I don’t want you to have anything to do with him from this moment on. Pretend that you never met him, never knew him and forget everything that you two have been through.” Victoria demanded.

“No! How can you tell me to forget everything that has happened just like that?! I can’t see him as a complete stranger. Not anymore.” Amber admitted.

“This is not a request Amber. It’s a demand. And as your queen, I forbid you from having anymore connection with him.” Victoria ordered.

“What?! That’s not fair Victoria!” Amber shouted.

“Enough Amber!” Victoria shouted back. “My decision has been made and it’s all for your own good. I don’t want to hear prince Kibum being mentioned in my kingdom ever again. Especially not from you. We are done with him for good. Give up. You’ve shattered once. Who knows when will that happen again? I can’t risk the same thing. Now drop the subject and I don’t want to hear it again.” Victoria finished, storming off.

“Wait Vic! You can’t do this to me!” Amber shouted, following after her. But Victoria rushed into her room. Amber attempted to stop the door from closing on her but once she reached it, Victoria slammed the door in her face. Amber rests her head on Victoria’s door feeling sad and desperate. It’s hopeless. Nothing will change her mind now. … Key… I miss you...

Meanwhile, outside in the pouring rain, Key stays kneeling like a statue and hasn’t moved an inch from his spot. Some of the servants coming back from their errands has offered him umbrellas and others have tried persuading him to give up. But he ignored all of them and remained there. Thunder roars in the distance and lighting is seen here and there but he stayed put. He knelt there, with only one phrase running in his head over and over again. Amber. Please come out and see me. Soon, he felt lightheaded, realizing that he’s catching a cold, but he still hung on.

From the top window, Amber watched as he knelt there like a statue, not willing to leave his ground. You’re such an idiot.’Amber thought to herself.

Soon, it has stopped raining and the sky is clearing up, the sun slowly piercing through the clouds. But Key knelt there like nothing bothered him. Eventually, his eyelids became heavy and he’s losing his focus. He tried shaking it off but nothing is working. Key. You can’t give up now. Fight it. She’ll be coming out any minute now. You can do this!’ Key told himself. But no matter how much encouragement he gave himself, the fever slowly took over. By night time, he has collapsed. Amber, watching from afar, obviously saw him black out so she asked Mr. Choi to help him.

“Mr. Choi please!” Amber begged.

“I’m sorry princess but orders are orders. We’re not allowed to come into anymore contact with the prince.” Mr. Choi explained.

“Are you just going to watch him die there?!” Amber asked.

“Well, no but-”

“But what? You can’t just let him lie helplessly on the ground like that! He clearly has a cold and he can get very sick!” Amber begged some more.

“I’m sorry. But his health isn’t to our concern and it shouldn’t be yours either. He brought himself to this. I’m sorry miss Amber but there really isn’t anything that I can do.” Mr. Choi gave Amber an apologetic bow and went on his way. Then Amber dropped down and bursted into tears. Key… Key!’ she thought. With her body numb from head to toe, she headed back for her room. She put on a pair of black sweats and a baggy black hoodie with the hood pulled all the way over to cover her head and face. She locked her door, took the underground passageway and headed outside. Out in the cold, Key lies there, like a worn out rag doll that has been thrown around. Amber walks over to feel his forehead and he is burning. She searched his pockets for his keycard to his hotel room and then carried him on her back, the same way he piggybacked her on that island, and carried him to his hotel. He is a lot heavier than she thought he was but she carried him there anyways. It was late at night so not many people were on duty at that time. She successfully carried him all the way to his room, laid him down carefully and peeled her hood off of her head. Then, she took off his shoes and tucked him into bed. Next, she went into the bathroom and filled a plastic bin she found in the cupboard with ice cold water and grabbed a small towel. She soaked it thoroughly in the water, folded it neatly in a long rectangle and place it on his forehead. Key was clearly having a nightmare because he kept turning his head back and forth mumbling something as he sweat. But something got Amber’s attention. As Key was having a nightmare, he mumbled,

“Amber….. I’m sorry….. Please don’t go…..” This made Amber blush; but then, with a soft and sincere expression, she held onto his hand.

“It’s okay. I’m right here.” she whispered holding his hand up to her face. As if Key could hear her, he stopped mumbling, calmed down and smiled. Seeing him smile, she smiled as well. She didn’t want this moment to end, but it had to. She carefully tucked his hand back under the covers and headed to the work desk on her right. Grabbing a pen and a memo pad, she wrote him a little note. When she was done, she put the memo pad and his key card on his nightstand next to the bowl of water, changed his towel once more, before putting her hood back on and heading back to the palace before she got caught. She reached for the door, paused and turned to glance at him.

“I’m sorry Key.” she whispered to him before turning back around, clicking the door open and leaving.

~

“AMBER!” Key shouted springing himself to sit up, waking himself out of his dream. The sun's rays pierce through the red curtains from the work desk, indicating that it's morning again. The towel that was originally on his head peeled off and landed on his lap. He picked it up and ran the soft towel through his hands. How did I end up back here?’ he asked himself. He looked around but there was no one else in the room. Then he looked to his left, where his nightstand was, and noticed a bowl of water that is turning to room temperature, his key card and a memo pad with a note on it. He put the towel down, took the key card and tucked it into his pocket. Then he reached for the note.

 

It read:

Key you bastard! You scared me back there when you suddenly collapsed that night! I hope that you’re feeling better now. Your fever was quite high when I was carrying back here. By the way, what have you been eating? You’re so heavy! Anyways, I’ve already instructed one of the bellboys to check up on you once in a while. I know that you have something to tell me, and it’s probably really important, but, I’m afraid that I’ll never get a chance to hear it. Your ride should be here soon. I’m sorry that I wasn’t able to personally say goodbye to you but I snuck out of the palace to get you safely back here. I suggest you to not do anything stupid anymore and leave Seongnam as soon as you possibly can because the minute you’re still here, my sisters will always be paranoid.  I know that you’ve changed, that you’ve matured, but Victoria refuses to listen to me. Victoria has forbidden everyone in the palace, including me, to not have anymore connections with you. I’m forced to forget every memory that we’ve ever had together. To tell you the truth, it pains me to forget, because the things that we have been through together are priceless and will never be recreated ever again. I sound cliche don’t I? Well, anyways, it was nice to get to know you, even as a friend, but from here on out, we’ll become complete strangers. I’ll miss you. Wishing you all the best.       

                                                                                                                       -Amber Josephine Liu

 

Key felt tears roll down his cheeks as he read it, finding it hard to swallow. He noticed that Amber has originally written “I’ll miss you” but she crossed it out. It doesn’t matter to him though. He at least knew that she’ll miss him, hopefully as much as he will. Amber…’ he thought to himself, hugging the note tight to his chest, Saranghae...