XIII

My Not So Charming Prince

5 years later….

“AMBER!” Victoria shouted happily, bursting through the doors in a brand new dress. Amber was relaxed in her couch in the main living room, twiddling on her phone.

“What up sis?” Amber asked looking up to Victoria. Amber eye balled her sister’s dress in disgust. “Another dress? That’s the 100th one this week! When are you going to officially choose a dress to go to the party in?” she complained.

“I know, I know! But this is truly, truly the last one.” Victoria claimed.

“That’s what you said the 50th time around, and the 55th time around and-”

“Okay, okay, I get the point but I’m for real this time. This is honestly the last one. What do you think?” Then Amber eyed her in suspicion.

“Do you really want my opinion, or do you want nice feedback that you’d like to hear?” Amber asked.

“The second one.” Victoria stated. Amber heaved a sigh and gave a good look at the dress. Then moved her hand in a spinning motion, telling Victoria to turn around. She gave it another look and then finally said,

“I think I prefer dress 64 better. You know, the one that transitions from white to sea blue from top to bottom with only one shoulder strap on your left shoulder? That one brings out your eyes a little better.”

“Consider it done.” and with that, Victoria rushed into her room to get changed. Amber watched her leave, shook her head and went back to whatever she was doing.

“Hey Amber!” Krystal exclaimed in a cheery voice. Amber put her phone down to make eye contact with her sister. “You’re going to need to cha-”

“I know, I know. I’ll be on my way to the change room as soon as I finish this level. I’m so close to level 70 in this music game!” Amber explained. Krystal gave her a grin and then went to go check up on Victoria. As promised, once she finished her level, she headed upstairs to get changed. The servants had just made their way in to get Amber ready for the King of Seoul’s 60th birthday celebration. When they were done, Amber was in a strapless, plain black dress that went just past her knees topped off with a silky blue bow around her waist. She wore black high heels and a charm bracelet that was handed down from her mother. Her hair was let down and made smooth with simple make-up consisting of mascara and lipgloss. She didn’t recognize herself in the mirror but she definitely thought she looked pretty. She felt like a girl when she wore a dress, not like Amber. The servants flushed out of her room as she stared at her mirror. She decided to get up and go find herself a purse that she could use during the party. Scrambling for her black purse, she came across her dress that she wore during her sister’s coronation, reminding her of Key. After so many years, she didn’t forget him, or as a matter of fact, she couldn’t no matter how hard she tried. She was able to push the memory to the back of her head during the 5 year time frame but the memory was never lost or gone. When she found what she was looking for, she glanced at the dress one last time, heaved a sigh and locked the dress in her closet the same way she locked away her feelings. She closed her eyes and tried to breathe. She missed him, she definitely has, but there’s no way she’s going to tell Victoria anytime soon, or at all even. Victoria has informed her beforehand that they’ll be staying in Seoul for a little longer after the party to go check out the tourist attractions there; so she packed her luggage and changed out of her dress.

~

“WOW!” Sulli exclaimed pointing to the famous tower once they have set foot in Seoul. “I wanna go check out Seoul Tower!”

“No! We have to go shopping at Myeongdong first!” Krystal shouted.

“I say we go to Lotte World first!” Luna suggested.

“Girls, girls. Our main priority is to be here and celebrate his majesty’s 60th birthday tonight. Formal stuff first, then we can discuss fun later.” Victoria explained. The rest all nodded their heads in agreement so they all headed to their hotel.

That night was packed with people from all over the country. Then, the grand duke of Seoul stood on stage, settling the audience down.

"Ahem." he started. "Please welcome the the host tonight, the King of Seoul!" he gestured to his right, welcoming the King into the room as he was greeted with thunderous applause. He lifted his arms up, thanking the audience, settling them down again.

"I would like to thank you all for your arrival to my 60th birthday and for all your wonderful gifts. Please enjoy yourselves and have fun." There was one more round of applause and then everyone carried on with the party. Amber and her sisters were all having fun at the party when the King of Seoul's only son, prince Henry Lau, came to greet his guests.

"Ah. You must be Queen Victoria of Seongnam. It's a pleasure to meet you." he greeted, extending his hand out. "Glad you can make it to my father's birthday celebration."

"It's my honour." Victoria stated, shaking his hand politely. "Let me introduce you to my sisters. Sulli," Henry nodded as Victoria started to list them, shaking their hands one by one as she went along, "Luna, Krystal and Amber." Amber shook his hand and nodded politely.

"Princess Amber is it?" Henry smiled. Amber nodded and flashed him a smile. Then, the background music shifted into a traditional waltz music leading to many heads to turn and see pairs moving to the dance floor. Henry turned back his head and extended his hand. "Would you care to dance with me?" he asked her. But Amber didn't flinch or blush. She looked at him and smiled.

"I'm sorry. But I don't dance." she shrugged.

"It's okay. I'll be glad to teach you." Henry offered.

"Really. I'm okay. But to your luck, my sister Krystal does." Amber offered back. Henry was hesitant but he retracted his hand and offered it to Krystal. Krystal gladly accepted his offered and they swept across the dance floor.

"Why'd you reject him? He clearly likes you." Sulli asked, nudging her. Amber shook her head.

"I know. I can tell too. But, I'm just not ready." Amber muttered.

"Amber. It's been 5 years." Luna told her.

"I know. Don't worry about it because that's not it. I just... have a lot on my mind." Amber assured.

"Are you sure that's not it?" Victoria asked. Amber nodded. It pains her to lie to them but if she didn't lie, they'll never let her hear the end of it.

From a distance, Key watched Amber walk further away across the hall. He has come to Seoul to celebrate the King's birthday too. He just didn't make himself too obviously seen. He was satisfied to at least see Amber's face again. He missed her a lot, but he doesn't know how she feels anymore. She probably forgot that I've ever existed. he thought to himself, feeling hopeless. But no matter how pessimistic his thoughts were, he wasn't able to let go of the fact that he still loves her. Amber... he thought, replaying her name in his head over and over again. He looked down to his shoes feeling longing and disappointed.