III

My Not So Charming Prince

Amber stares out the window of her bedroom longingly. What am I doing? she asked herself as she stared off on to the blue river where the docked ships are preparing to leave. What am I waiting for? She thought back to the dance she had with prince Key just last night. She felt herself blush and shook it off. Now wearing her casual jeans, t-shirt, basketball shoes and cap, she turns around and faces the dress that she wore yesterday. It came fresh out of the laundry and is now modelled on a headless, armless and legless mannequin. She stared at it for a long time and then heaved a sigh before turning back around to face the river again. She place both elbows on the window sill and cradled her chin in her hands. Flashbacks of her and prince Key fills her head. She has been thinking about prince Key ever since that dance. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t get him out of her head. She shook her head, rubbed through her hair but no matter what she did, the image of him stayed glued in her mind, refusing to let go of the memory. She was so frustrated that she never noticed Victoria walk in. Then Victoria startled her by tapping her on the shoulder.

“Wahhh! When did you get in here? How many times have I told you to knock?” Amber screeched.

“I did! Like, 10 million times! You never answered so I helped myself in.” Victoria complained.

“Wha-what do you want?” Amber asked breathing heavily.

“Aigoo, what’d you do you your head? I’ve never seen you hair this messy unless you've just woken up. Even then it wasn’t this messy.” Victoria stated.

“Ugh… Don’t worry about it. Anyways, what are you really here for?” Amber asked, finally calming down.

“Ahhh! About that. Mr. Prince Charming has come looking for you.” Victoria teased.

“Who?” Amber asked in confusion.

“Prince Key.” Victoria said, making sure she made herself clear. Amber gave her a ice cold glare.

“Why?” Amber asked in a monotone voice, trying her best to sound uncaring and to not be over-dramatic about it.

“I don’t know. But the rest of you sisters are downstairs welcoming him.” she laughed.

“And why aren’t you downstairs fangirling with them? You could’ve just told Mr. Choi to send the message.” Amber glared.

“I am the most mature one in the family. I won’t do the same fangirling the rest of them does.” Victoria stated proudly.

“Yet you were teasing me about it two minutes ago… haha. Very mature Vic.” Amber shot back.

“Anyways, he’s waiting downstairs. It’s not nice to keep your guest waiting.” Victoria said. Amber sighed. One part of her is dying to go downstairs to see him, another part of her is telling her to shoo him away. She sighed once more, deciding to keep it cool and a low profile.

“Fine.” Amber muttered, hunching over as if two weights were tied to her arms. Amber dragged her feet as she walked, trying to stall as much time as possible. Although she didn’t know why she had to stall time but she felt the need to. Victoria, who is now well ahead of Amber, turned around to see that she has been lagging behind. So she ran up to Amber and grabbed her, which confused Amber for a moment, then dragged her hurriedly down the stairs, causing Amber to almost trip halfway down.

“Aigoo! Stop pulling so hard Vic!” Amber whined as they made it to the main living room. Prince Key stood up, straightening his outfit and cleared his throat. Amber looked up and made eye contact with him for a moment and instantly snapped her eyes away to focus on something else. So she decided to look down. Victoria then let go of Amber’s arm and stood straight up.

“I trust that my sisters… er… the princesses… have taken good care of you.” Victoria stated pleasantly, taking the place of more maturity. Clearly trying to stab Luna, Krystal and Sulli for fangirling over him with that sentence without making it too obvious for Key to figure out. Amber glanced at Victoria and then rolled her eyes over her attempt of acting like the mature one.

“No, no. It was fine. They are really fun to hang around. I can understand how you and the princesses are so close with each other.” Key smiled. Then he looked at Amber and his smile broadened. “Hello Princess Amber. Nice to see you again.”

“H-hi.” Amber stuttered. Then she straightened her back. “What are you still doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be on your way back to Pohang?” Amber asked as she turned her head away slightly angrily, trying to be as cold as possible. Purpose was to draw her mind away from blushing in front of him again and to make him think that she’s not interested in whatever he was about to tell her. But of course, she doesn’t really think that way.

“Oh, yeah about that, I asked to stay.” Key said. Amber snapped her head back towards his direction and raised an eyebrow, confused.

“I’m sorry, I'm confused.” Amber asked.

“Yeah, I asked to stay in Seongnam a little longer.” Key said slightly blushing.

“What?” Amber repeated, not believing what she just heard. Shoot! I’m afraid to ask why now.’Amber thought. Because she was afraid that she already knew the answer.

“Oooooo…..” the rest of the girls said in sync. Releasing Amber from her thoughts. She sharply turned her head toward the girls who are now leaving the room.

“What- Wait… WHERE ARE YOU GUYS GOING?” Amber yelled. Don’t leave me here! No! Please stay!’Amber screamed in her head. But no matter how much her head screamed, it was no use.

“We should leave you two alone now! <3” Sulli winked. No. Not good! Don’t leave me alone with him! Come back!’Amber thoughts screamed. But they have all left. She sighed. She didn’t know why she sighed. Was it because she’s alone with Prince Key now? Was it because she was tired? Frustrated? Angry? She didn’t know. Too many things were running through her head. She wanted to rip her hair out of her head. But she couldn’t because for one, it will hurt, and she’ll probably start bleeding and for two, she’ll make a fool out of herself, looking like a maniac in front of Key. But it’s not like she isn’t one already, well, at least she felt like one. Then, Key’s clearing of throat startled her, making her realizing that he was still there.

“Uh… So…” Amber started. But then the question came back to her. Why did Key stay in Seongnam?’ But she was still afraid to ask.

“Um…” Key also started.

“Well…” they said in sync. Then they cut themselves off. Amber looked away.

“You first.” Key offered. Then Amber dared to look back at him, or, at least glanced at him.

“No. You first.” Amber offered back.

“No. I insist. Ladies first.” He pushed.

“No, no. Whoever enters through those grand doors are our guests. You first.” Amber pushed.

“I insist, you first.” Key pushed. We’re not getting anywhere like this!’ Amber thought.

“Fine, then I’ll go first.” Amber said. Then she took in a deep breath. Here I go.

“Why- or, what- made you decide to stay longer in Seongnam?” Amber dared herself to ask. She looked up at him all to see him blush. Her eyes widened for a moment then looked away again, realizing that she is blushing too.

“Well,” he started. “Seongnam is a beautiful city and I wasn’t done sightseeing. So I asked to stay.”

“Oh. Then why come here?” She dared to ask again.

“Well, I figured that I can’t go sightseeing alone. Also because I don’t know this place well enough so I wanted someone to guide me around to see all the tourist attractions that I don’t ever want to miss since I’m here.” Key said, scratching his head and blushing. Then Amber blushed.

“W-why here? You’re not going to find any guides here. Should I ask Mr. Choi to find you one and arrange a private tour for you?” Amber said, pushing her nonsense thoughts aside.

“That... hopefully... won’t be necessary because... I already had one in mind.” Key said glancing at her from time to time. Amber blushed harder.

“A-a-a-a-and… who… e-exactly.. d-did you have in mind...prince Key?” Amber stuttered, trying hard to control her feelings. Then Key sharply looked up.

“I’m looking at her.” Key said without hesitation. Amber turned her head away, secretly wishing that she was an owl. Her face is completely red now. Probably redder than a poppy flower. “Will you,” Key continued, “be my tour guide?” he asked softly. Curse you Key! You want to kill me or something? How am I supposed to respond to that? What are you trying to say? Are you trying to-to-to- ask me out? What should I do? Amber thoughts won’t stop running in her mind. Should she say yes or should she say no.

Honestly, I want you to say no but, if you don’t end up with me, I will never be able to take the throne at this rate.’ Key thought. He sighed. Time for plan B!’Key sighed again before going,

“Well, if you don’t want to then-” the he was cut off.

“No, no! It’s not like I don’t want to! I mean, I do want to! I-I mean, I’d be glad to… It’s just that-” Amber stopped herself. Realizing that she has looked back at him and her thoughts came out before she can fully think it through. Well, there no use in stopping my thoughts now... Amber took a deep breath in. “I-if you want to… I don’t mind it…” Amber muttered, fading off. Key let out a sigh of what seemed like relief, but was really a sigh of another burden. Then he stood up straight and smiled.

“I’m glad.” Key smiled. Amber slowly creaked her eyes towards his direction and then the rest of her head followed.

“But uh…” Amber said clearing . “Are you really going to wear royal clothing to go sightseeing?” she asked.

“Oh. Why? Is it wrong to?” Key asked curiously.
“No it’s just that. Sightseeing is a natural and relaxed thing to do, especially in a hot spring weather like this… It’s… weird.” Amber explained awkwardly. Then Key laughed in hysterics causing Amber to blush again. G
reat! I probably said something stupid making me seem like a complete idiot! Stupid Stupid!’ Amber thought pounding her head lightly with her fist. Then Key grabbed a hold of her wrist to make her stop. Amber looked up, realizing how close he was to her. She can feel his breaths pressing against her face. Amber gulped and blushed, yet unable to look away from his dark brown eyes this time. She can feel her hand shaking slightly in his grasp. They breathed in sync for a moment, and then Key released her wrist.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to laugh. Especially not at you.” Key exclaimed stepping backwards. Amber took her wrist that Key was grasping onto and rubbed it, twisting it back and forth in her other hand.

“No, no. It wasn’t your fault.” Amber said softly.

“Are you okay with guiding me around tomorrow?” Key asked politely.

“Oh. Uh… yeah… sure…” Amber said, breathing slowly and carefully.

“I’m sorry. Did I hurt you?” Key asked worryingly.

“No, no.” Amber said, still rubbing her wrist.

“Are you sure?” Key reassured.

“Yeah. Yeah. I’m fine.” Amber nodded.

“Okay. Well, I’ll see you tomorrow Princess.” Key smiled. He gave her a bow and walked through the doors. Amber, up until now, is still rubbing her wrist. The touch of Key’s grasp just seemed to linger there and no matter how much she rubbed, no matter how hard, it wouldn’t go away. She heaved a sigh and gave up.

“Okay guys. Stop hiding. I know that you guys have been hiding behind that door for a really long time now. Actually, for the whole entire time now.” Amber said, projecting her voice. She turned around and one by one, her sisters came out. Amber gave them all a icy stare. “We should give those two some privacy.” Amber said in an exaggerated pitchy voice, trying to imitate them. Then she shook her head disapprovingly. “I hate you. I really do.” Amber sighed.

~

The next day, prince Key checked his watch as he leaned against a tree in the local park then heaved a sigh. ‘What’s taking her so long? She’s 2 minutes late!'’ Key thought. He held up his wristwatch and glanced at it again before heaving another sigh. Just then, Amber came running over and he peeled himself off the tree, standing up straight.

“Sorry I’m late!” Amber yelled when she made it over to Key, trying to catch her breath.

“No worries. I wasn’t here for that long.” Key lied. Actually, he’s been there for the last 15 minutes.

“Sorry. I slept in.” Amber said, slowly catching her breath again. Then Key felt a stab in the back. ‘You slept in?!?!?!?!?!?! Shame on you!'’ Key shouted in his head. But instead, he said,

“No worries, you looked really tired yesterday. Don’t worry about it.” he said happily. ‘I swear if this ever happens again, I will murder you!'’ he thought. Amber finally was able to breathe properly so she stood straight up. She eyed Key for a moment.

“What?” he asked snapping her out of her thoughts.

“No. It’s just that…” she paused, then said “I think you look better in casual clothes.” she said turning her head away as she spoke. Then he smiled.

“Why thank you. Where to first, guide?” he asked. She thought about it for a moment.

“Shall we start with CGV in Yatap?” Amber offered.

“What ever you say guide.” Key said happily.

“Then let’s go.” Amber shouted excitedly.

And with that, their tour started. They went from CGV Yatap to the Seongnam Arts Center to Book Theme Park. They were exhausted by the end of the day and after many pushing back and forths, Key has escorted Amber back to the palace.

“Thanks Princess. I had a lot of fun today.” Key smiled.

“Stop calling me Princess. Call me Amber.” Amber joked.

“Fine, but then that means you’re going to have to stop calling me prince Key.” he joked back.

“Fine. Key.” she laughed. Amber laughed so hard that she lost her balance and fell over but Key caught her just in time. They stared deep into each other’s eyes for a while. Amber then looked away and rolled out of Key’s arms, regaining her balance. She dared to look at him but then looked away again.

“Amber?” Key started. “Do you mind closing your eyes?”

“What? Why?” Amber shouted, freaking out a little.

“Just do it.” Key said a little frustrated. Breathing out heavily, she closed her eyes, her body tense. Then Key came over, lightly grasped her shoulders, startling her and pecked her on the forehead. When Amber slowly fluttered her eyes open again, her face turned rose pink.

“Y-you… D-did you just…?” Amber stuttered.

“See you tomorrow Amber. I hope to have more adventures with you!” Key said smiling. Then he turned around and left. Amber, who is still standing in awe, tried shaking it off but this time, she was for sure that it’s not going to go away no matter how hard she tried. So she gave up and heaved a sigh.

“Get out of the bushes guys. How long were you guys planning to stalk me?” Amber shouted. Again, one by one, her sisters came out giggling and laughing.

“Aww… Looks like our little Amber is in love~!” Krystal teased, but all Amber could do was blush and turn away, avoiding all eye contact.

“‘Call me Amber’ huh?” Sulli mimicked.

“Guys! Can you please stop!” Amber pleaded. ‘As if I’m not humiliated enough! You guys aren’t making anything better.’

“Okay, okay. Fine. But, we are truly happy for Amber.” Luna said gently.

“That’s right Amber. Don’t worry about it so much Amber.” Victoria teased as she rubbed Amber’s shoulders.

“Most importantly, you know how he feels about you. Don’t let that go to waste Amb.” Krystal smiled. Amber heaved a sigh. ‘Don’t let that go to waste huh?’