VI

My Not So Charming Prince

She didn't know how long she has been sleeping for but when she woke up the sun was gleaming over her, drying her up. Her clothes were still wet, but not as bad as it was when she was immersed in water. She managed to get up and breathe again. Where the heck am I? she asked herself. She looked up ahead and there was a forest up ahead. She squinted her eyes and placed her hand over her eyes to shield herself from the piercing sun.

“Hello? Is anyone there?” she called out, hoping there's a reply. Then she was determined to try again. She cupped her hands to the corners of and yelled as loud as she could, “Is anyone there?! Anybody?!” But then she gave up. Clearly, there is no sign of life. Squinting, she placed her hands on her hips and looked around. Debris from the ship was slowly being washed onto shore. Then, in the far distance, the saw a figure lying on the ground. “Oh my gosh.” she mumbled to herself. Then she ran towards it. The man was lying forward with one arm curled around a wooden plank. She poked him, seeing if he was conscious. Then again, and again. But he didn't seem to even twitch. Determined to find out if he was dead or not, she crouched down next to the body and flipped him over, surprised to see that it was Key who has been washed onto shore. She hesitated for a bit but she place two fingers on his throat to see if there was a beating heart. Surely enough, he was still alive. Then she sat down, deciding whether to save him or not. 'Should I save him? I do know first aid. But he has been so mean to me and my sisters. But this is a life. He deserves to live yet he deserves to die. she thought and thought, staring out to the water, trying to look for answers. Then she looked back at his helpless body and heaved a sigh.Blame me for having a kind heart! she thought to herself. She pushed his chest up and down to help him breathe again. She repeated the same movement over and over again, more than she was supposed to then sat back down again. Do I really have to?Then she stared at his helpless body. Ugh! I don't really have a choice do I? With another sigh, she went to go force air into key's mouth, which means mouth to mouth contact. After that, she pumped his chest a couple more time and he finally cough the water out of his throat, breathing again. Amber backed up a bit and sat on her legs, not saying anything. There was nothing to say.

“Ugh! Saltwater.” Key coughed. Amber turned away, not looking at him, still kneeling there. He looked at her. “What are you doing sitting there?” he asked in a rude tone.

'Yeah. Really nice to someone who just help you become conscious again.” Amber said, glaring at him. Then she got up and wiped the sand off her legs.

“Yeah! Whatever!” Key said sarcastically under his breath, getting up as well. “Where's Mr. Lee?” he asked.

“I don't know. Why don't you go find him and ask him yourself.” Amber said squinting her eyes to see for any more signs of life. Key is muttering many curses under his breath but Amber ignored them all. Nothing. No life at all. She heaved a sigh and headed for the forest to look for some food.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Key asked in shock, running after her.

“Anywhere that you're not!” Amber said, yelling back at him. The forest is swampy from last night's rain but most of the water has dried up. The forest was pretty lush and green but there isn't anything edible so far.

“Wait up!” Key shouted, tripping over everything.

“Quit following me!” Amber yelled. “Leave me alone! You've done enough damage already. Quit making things worse!” But Key didn't say anything. All he did was keep following her. Then Amber stopped walking and turned around to face him. “You don't have the slightest background knowledge of survival do you?” she asked him, pretty much reading his mind. He jerked back, ready to deny everything but he know that he's going to be helpless without her help. So he relaxed his body and nodded. She let out a sigh. “I matter how many times I say no, you're going to follow me anyways aren't you.” he didn't say or do anything. He kept his head down and just stood there. She let out another sigh and looked around. “Just keep your distance okay? I don't care what you do or what is going to happen next. Copy me, follow me, do whatever you need to do. Just keep your distance and don't bother me.” Then she walked off further into the forest. Key lifted his head and followed, keeping his distance like she asked to but not too far off that he'll lose sight of her.

Minutes passed and soon hours. But they still couldn't find any food.

“This isn't good. None of these things are edible.” Amber mumbled.

“How'd you know which is what?” Key asked.

“My sisters and I loved camping when we were little. Our parents used to take us camping all the time before they died. We would have survival games to test who had the best skills. I always came in second, so I have extensive knowledge of how to survive, just in case if I were ever stranded like now.” Amber explained. Then, there was another silence. After a while longer, a growl was heard. Then, more growls. But it didn't sound like an animal of any sort. Amber turned to face Key and it turns out that his stomach was growling. She let out a sigh.

“S-sorry.” Key said, his face turning red with embarrassment.

“It's fine. We're all hungry. Just hang in there a little longer.” Amber said. Then, she heard sounds of water falling. A waterfall? Then she walked towards the sound. Soon, her speed increased and she was running. And with her luck, behind a couple of tall bushes was a waterfall.

“Why... were you... running so fast?” Key asked, trying to catch his breath. He looked up and finally understood why.

“Spring water.” Amber mumbled. “It's clean and drinkable water.”

“Finally! About time!” then Key ran for it, smothering his face with cold, refreshing water. With a smile, she joined him. Then she noticed that there was freshwater fish in the water.

“Fish!” Amber exclaimed excitedly, pointing at the water.

“I'm sorry, what?” Key asked. And then his eyes followed Amber's finger. “Oh. Fish!” then he paused for a moment and thought. “Wait, how are we supposed to catch those?” But Amber is already taking off her shoes and socks, rolling up her pant legs. “Are you really going to go in there to catch them?”

“Yep. But I'm only catching for myself. If you want some, do it on your own.” Amber stated. Then she stepped into the water. She stood there patiently, waiting for the fish to near her and with a sudden movement of her arm, she snatched it out of the water. Key stood there in awe, watching her catch fish after fish. In no time flat, she has caught 5 fishes, more than enough for her to eat herself.

“You can't eat all that yourself!” Key yelled.

“Why can't I? I caught them myself so I have the right to eat them all.” Amber said, getting out of the water.

“What I meant was that you can't finish that anyways.” Key said, deciphering what he said earlier.

“That's the point. I'm planning on cooking these and rationing, just in case I can't find any other sources of food or if I'm not able to find this waterfall again. If I ration, this supply can last me a week.” and with that, she put her shoes on and headed out of the forest, collecting firewood on the way out. Key, who has been standing there like a log for the whole entire time, eyed the water. With a sigh, he was determined to catch fish too. So he did exactly what Amber did. He took off his shoes and socks and rolled up his pant legs. He attempted many times but failed every time. He either missed the fishes by the tail or he will catch them and it'll slip out of his hands.

Meanwhile, Amber has already made a fire, cooking her fish. The fish were stab on separate branches that have fallen from trees which were stabbed into the ground so that it can hold themselves up without Amber needing to hold them. She sits with her knees up to her face, hugging them up to her chest. What exactly am I doing?she asked herself, staring at the fire as it danced with the breeze. But what is she doing? She should be getting off this island. She should've left Key alone. She should've been doing this all on her own. He broke her heart. Yet she couldn't stop thinking about him. Am I an idiot? I can't like him! Not again! I can't go through the same thing again. At least, not with him... Then suddenly, heavy breathing broke her from her thoughts. She turned around and Key stands there, with a wiggling fish that is about the size of his head, in his hands.

“I have no idea... of how to build a fire.” he says, trying to catch his breath. Amber turned back to face the fire and then buried her face in her knees. She took a deep breath in and tossed him a stick.

“Wash the sticks and fish thoroughly and then stab the stick through the fish. You sit on the other side and don't talk to me for the rest of the night.” Amber said. Then she rested her chin on her knees and watched the fish as it slowly cooked. Key bent down and pick up the stick. He glanced at Amber for a bit before heading towards the water to wash them. Then, as she told him to, he stabbed the fish through, sat on the other side, and held the stick, watching the fish cook itself. Then he peered over the fire to look at Amber, at least see her face. I still hate her for ratting me out. he thought. I still hate him for breaking my heart. Amber thought, who’s on the other side, picking at her nails. But then one thought came to their head. But why am I so drawn to you?