11

GOODBYE 20

My life became a daily routine. I go to school, have lunch with Joonmyun then come back here to the hospital to visit Baekhyun. Instead of staying after school so Mrs. Lee can help me, i stay here by Baekhyun's side and i write. Its peaceful here, just hearing that beep coming from the machine. Being the only noise that surrounds the room.

I wish i could come here between my breaks, but Mrs. Byun comes by at that time and she doesnt know about me knowing. Im afraid sometimes that she'll come unannounced and she'll see me sitting down on her chair, caressing her son.

"hey Baekhyun what do you think about this? And as Jin sung walked away he knew in his heart he'll never stop loving Young" there was no answer, just the beeping sound that im starting to hate. "if you like it, please, please come back" but nothing. I start to re-read my whole story so i can fix the mistakes and the what-not.

"Baekhyun, tomorrow its the writing competition. I was going to ask you if you like to come, you can still answer me so please wake up" I touch his life-less hand, and i wait. I wait for a sign, just alittle one. Just so i'll know he could hear me, because i know he can. His brain its still good, it just the matter of waiting for him to breathe so his body can function.

The door opens out of knowhere, that startled me "Sehun! you have to go Mrs. Byun its coming!" I stand up panicking, i grab my bagpack not letting Baekhyun's hand. "i'll come back tomorrow---" "Sehun! hurry up!" hearing the doctor shouting at me, only makes me panic more. "i'll come back" seen how i wouldnt move, the doctor comes towards me and takes me away. "you'll call me if anything happens right?" "yeah, yeah" he keeps pulling me. "no matter at what time" "okay"

We leave the room just in time. When he closes the door, seconds later Mrs. Byun stands next to us. "hello Mrs. Byun" the doctor greets her, and this is the first im seen her. Its like she made a pact with time. Her skin frozen on her younger years, and its going to stay like that until the end of time. "hello Mr. Yang, and who is this?" she looks at me trying to remember me.

"oh, Mr. Yang takes care of my little brother i came to ask him something" i lie to her, she nods not caring for the details. "can i see my son?" "yes, of course" it was my time to go, so i bow to her as i put the strap of my bagpack on my left shoulder. I continue to walk then i hear Mrs. Byun breaking, when she enters Baekhyun's room.

 

There's five people on a big long table, they sit there reading and taking notes of the stories of 10 people who sing up. The auditorium is to big for the few people who are here. I wear my father's suit, the only thing he left behind. Mrs. Lee stands next to me, patting my shoulder so i can relax alittle. But i couldnt. A wave of fear enter my body, what if im not good enough?

What if i just wasted everyone's time? and mine. What am i going to do, when they dont call my name? They say mother's are always right, what if mine is too? "calm down Sehun, you'll do fine" "are you sure Mrs. Lee?" ~ "eh?" "are you sure my story its good?" she nods, she stops patting me and just puts her arm around me. "i dont lie"

As we continue to watch the judges, a man passes by us. His suit screams million dollars, and his hair cut was in another level. "who's that?" "oh thats an editor, he comes here to search for talented writers" wow, "you might know the company, its Kim Publishing Corporation" "no way" she chuckles, but before she could say something the judges stand up with a finaly paper.

The name of three winners.

The man cleans his throat, "i would like to say, that this 10 magnificent young people have an amazing talent. And we are sorry that it only has to come down to three, but dont forger 'If you can tell stories, create characters, devise incidents, and have sincerity and passion, it doesn’t matter a damn how you write'- quote by our beloved Somerset Maugham,"

"now third place goes too, Kim Myungsoo" the small audience clap, Myungsoo goes up to the stage and grabs his small trophy. He bows to the man, and leaves the stage. "our second place goes too, Lee Taemin" i clap nervously, my heart feels like its going to pop out of my chest. I can finally feel the coldness of the room, as i can see how the stage starts to move around.

"its okay" Mrs. Lee keeps on saying, but i cant help to feel more nervous with her words. "finally and first place, goes to Jang Dongwoo" I put my head down and i feel all my intestines falling down. I lost. Im not good enough to write. Mother was right. She was right. Now i have to push this thoughts that made me feel unique. "now we had alittle of a problem choosing a winning story"

I raise my head, "we have a tie, the first place also goes to Oh Sehun" Mrs. Lee jumps yelling, I stand there numb. I won? was this real? "Sehun go!" my teacher pushes me to start walking to get my medal. The small people clapping are louder now in my ears, the person that works on Kim's Publishing Corporation gives me his card, and tells me 'call me'.

I stand next to the other winner, as we both hold our medals and our money. And all i can think of now, was I cant wait to tell Baekhyun. We stay on the stage for a minute, before the other judges come and congratulate us. They give our stories back, with comments like 'wow, my favorite part was--' and 'your going to have a good future'.

Mrs. Lee waits for me, and takes pictures because she said 'you can show them to Baekhyun'. I get off the stage, and i run to hug Mrs. Lee. "thank you for believing in me" i tell her, "dont thank me yet, when you publish your first book write it on the author's notes" i laugh, but i promise her. "hey, lets go eat." I check my watch, Mrs. Byun was still on the room so i couldnt go. "sure"

We give two steps and my phone starts to ring. "hello" "Sehun?" it was a voice of a woman in panic. "yes" "doctor Yang, told me to call you. Their doing a emergency surgery on Baekhyun" "what? i---i'll be right there" i hang up with my shaking hand. "Mrs. Lee can you please take me to the hospital?"

 

When Mrs. Lee parks infront of the hospital i open the door and i run. I leave everything behind, i just need it to be there. I dont care about anything else anymore. I run to the emergency room, and i see Mrs. Byun waiting infront of the doors. I sit down in one of the chairs, giving her my backview. And i wait, for anything. But wishing for good news.

Time seems to exist when your waiting, I hear Mrs. Byun's foot steps walking back and forth. I hear some nurses talking about what their going to do over the weekend. And they wonder if im single. I see a third doctor in his coffee break, and they look so tired i wouldnt trust them doing a surgery on me. The walls dont change color, because they continue to be white.

The clock has move two inches, from the last time i look at it. Are my 60 seconds over?

I hear the doors opening, and im about to stand up and run to the doctor when Mrs. Byun's beats me. "tell me doctor, please tell me how its my son?" the good thing is that Mrs. Byun is talking so loud i can hear perfectly. "we removed the tumor" tumor? no, no thats wrong. Baekhyun just fainted, he just fainted. "is he alright?"

"yes, but"

"but what!!" she yells, "we found another one, but we cant operate" "why not??" "because its in a sensible area on the brain, if we do, it can cause Baekhyun's life" Baekhyun had lie to me. He told me he was sick, that he has cancer. And that he was going to die, but not anytime soon. But he didnt tell me that the reason why he was fainting was because the tumor was attacking him.

I didnt even know he had a tumor in his brain. Because when Baekhyun's smiles, you forget the days and you forget time. I didnt even see him sick, it was like when i would see him laughing in school.

"how long doctor?"

We didnt counted days, because he promise me that it was going to be a long time until he'll see heaven for himself.

"a year tops" Mrs. Byun's breaks down crying, "its more than we thought" I look down, and i didnt know i was crying until i see my tear landing on the white floor.

365 days starting now.