Chapter 4

Feigned Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Jaejoong was Baekhyun's all-time idol singer. He practically worshipped him. His room was covered with posters of the young star. He owned a separate shelf dedicated to house stack after stack of VHS tapes of the guy's track albums and live performances.

Uncannily enough, Aya shared the mutual obsession. So when she heard that Jaejoong was dropping by in town for an acoustic jam, she decided to trade her life for a pass to the pub. Or not quite; just a month's worth of allowance, but nevertheless, she had been hyper about it since then.

She had bought two prime tickets; one was for Sehun. Her two other spare tickets were from winnings from food subscriptions from the pub. She'd been patronizing food from the pub for two full months already, granting herself entries for the raffle draw, which obviously gave away prime tickets for the acoustic night. One could only imagine the amount of food she purchased just to get in as much entries as she could.

"So Sehun is an anti?" Baekhyun wondered aloud in between songs.

"Nah." Aya was only half attentive. She was too busy ogling at the man lording the stage.

Baekhyun attempted a few more small talks (he was, after all, an insatiable talker) throughout the performance, but Aya didn't seem interested, so he settled for side comments.

It was nearly midnight when the acoustic jam culminated with an a capella piece from Jaejoong. And then Aya and Baekhyun were heading home.

"I can't believe Sehun ditched on that," said Baekhyun as he accompanied Aya along shadowed aisles and moonlit avenues. It was a cool and quiet night; perfect for strolling. "He's not much of a musical, is he?"

Aya smiled. "No, actually, he's pretty artistic himself. Just doesn't go out much."

"Oh?" Baekhyun was being mischievous again. "Where does he come from anyway? How are you two so close?"

"How should that even concern you, Baek?" Aya looked up an old oak they were passing by, sighing at its hundred-year-old grandeur.

"Ah," Baekhyun persisted, not offended by Aya's bluntness. "Being the elusive couple now, huh?" He teased.

Aya's full attention was back on him. She was grinning when she replied, "We are not a couple!"

Baekhyun laughed. "You protest too much."

"Well, you suspect too much." Aya punched on Baekhyun's shoulder, to which Baekhyun reacted with exaggeration. "We're not a couple, okay?"

"Then what are you?" Baekhyun pressed.

"Friends?"

"I don't think sooo," Baekhyun sang, nudging her lightly with his elbow. "Aya has a boyfriend, Aya has a boyfriend. Aya has a—aren't you two too young though?"

"He's not my boyfriend, Baek. Stop that." Aya was suddenly frowning. "What the..." And then she was jogging forward.

Baekhyun followed. "Hey, wait up!" He didn't notice they were already by Aya's neighborhood, and that Aya was actually dashing for Sehun's house. "Aya!"

"Go home, Baek!" She flew towards the porch and banged on Sehun's door. "Sehun, open up."

Bewildered by her sudden shift in demeanor, he warily situated himself behind her. "Aya, what's going on?"

"I told you to leave." She looked calm on the surface, but the way she pounded on the wood was alarming enough. "Sehun? Come on, open up."

It was then that Baekhyun heard it; glass shattering, wood breaking.

What the heck is happening?

"Sehun, please." Aya slammed harder, Baekhyun was sure her fist was already hurting. She hissed, muttered something beneath her breath and banged the side of her body against the door. "Sehun!"

"Aya, let me," Baekhyun offered, hauling her away from the door. Aya was hesitant but she gave in, tears starting to pool in her eyes. Baekhyun pressed his palms over the wooden surface momentarily, like he was testing the surface. And then he pulled back and raised his leg to kick on it. The sole of his shoe hit the surface only once; and the door was completely unhinged, landing on the floor with an echoing thud.

Aya wasted no second gawking at Baekhyun's strength and dashed inside. It was dark, and Baekhyun lost sight of her instantly. He didn't want to be intrusive but the sounds of destruction coming from within were horrendous.

He stepped in. The shattering did not stop. He could hear Aya's muffled imploring. He searched for the light switch, but it was impossible in the dark. He heard one last breakage and then silence.

"...it's okay, Sehun. I'm here."

There was no response from the boy. Baekhyun inched closer to where he imagined Aya and Sehun were.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" Aya's voice was extra soft. More silence.

Baekhyun cleared his throat, still fumbling around in the darkness. "Aya?"

It wasn't Aya who answered.

Sehun's voice was sharp and icy. "What the hell is he doing here?"

"No, Sehun, wait. He's—"

Shards of glass crunched underneath Sehun's steps as he emerged from a dimly lit room. Baekhyun saw it then.

If Sehun looked tired and impassive in school, he was looking murderous at the moment. His eyes were almost glowing in fury. His broad shoulders were squared

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter