Chapter 3

Feigned Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

But instead of steering away from the notorious yet endearing troublemaker Byun Baekhyun, as Sehun had persistently implored, Aya found herself constantly winding paths with this boy. She did not intend it, especially not to peeve her unattached friend Sehun, but she didn’t make any effort to eschew Baekhyun either. She could not find any reason why she should. Baekhyun, despite all his ruckus-making, provided a very enjoyable companion.

Once when Aya was coming home from the grocery, arms baggage-laden and sight nearly obstructed with the numerous paper bags she was hugging, she had crossed paths with a racing Baekhyun. He had toppled her over, making her drop all of her baggage and land with a thud on the pavement.

Aya had been initially annoyed, but when Baekhyun started deluding her with the pros of having been run over by him (she no longer had to walk the rest of the distance alone, for one), Aya ended up significantly relieved and even (unintentionally) pleasured. There was not a second of dullness with Baekhyun beside her, very much talkative and animated and a tad bit flirtatious—this Aya found oddly alluring—in all his tales. Tales which were, Aya realized, simply the boy’s adventures throughout the day that were quite frankly ordinary, but which seemed extraordinary with Baekhyun doing the narration.

Aya had been a little grateful that Sehun wasn’t around to witness Baekhyun walk her home; she still couldn’t understand Sehun’s strange request and she didn’t like to be told off again.

It was a Friday and holiday then when Baekhyun and Aya were acquainted. Three days later on Monday, and still a holiday, Baekhyun and his equally rowdy but harmless friends were wasting the afternoon away and jamming in the field.

His pro guitarist friend was nearly snapping the strings with his passionately rough strumming. Another friend of his was slamming on the wooden backrest of the bench as his makeshift beatbox. A third friend was making funny noises in poor imitation of cymbals. Two to three others served as backup vocals, and while they were incredible singers themselves, they paled to nothing when the voice that was Byun Baekhyun was already the one singing.

They made a lovely mini concerto, minus all the side comments Baekhyun managed to throw in every other few seconds when he wasn’t singing. To add to the sprightly ambiance, Baekhyun waved and winked at all the girls who passed by and glimpsed at his group. Nearly all of them averted with shy, amused smiles. Some of them turned a beet red as they timidly walked away. Ah, yes, the lady killer that was Byun Baekhyun.

Even then, Baekhyun was earth and Sehun was heaven when it came to lady killing. Not that either of them was in a competition; not at all. There was just something enigmatic looming about Sehun’s aura that automatically drew females in. Sehun, though and again, was oblivious to it all.

Baekhyun was in the middle of sustaining a high note when he caught sight of Aya trudging along campus with a pile of folders in her embrace. The topmost one was opened and Aya was very seriously immersed in reading whatever was written therein. He would have decided to approach her now that his friends were already prepping to leave, except he was certain she was headed for the council room for some council work.

Baekhyun seemed to consider it plain boring. He only watched as Aya disappeared up a flight of stairs.

Wonder what’s so fun about doing council work, he thought wryly. He was dubious of what was in it for Aya.

But Baekhyun was only out of the campus for five minutes before he decided to satiate his curiosity. There was no harm in prying a little, was there? Aya may even find his presence welcome.

As he skipped back towards campus, idly humming to himself, he witnessed two guys lingering beyond the entrance gates. They looked very familiar. He squinted his eyes for a closer look, nearing them.

He stopped.

Sehun had emerged from inside the campus, his eyes not looking affable. He faced the two guys, towering before them as though he were prince and they, servants.

Maybe Sehun never meant to appear dominant but his gait and his stance and his demeanor were always indicative of his superiority. Just judging on physicality, he certainly was superior. Once again, he was an enlivened Adonis.

Baekhyun could not make out their conversation from where he was stationed. But he could draw out Sehun’s agitation and the two guys’ equal irateness. He risked a few more steps closer.

One of the guys was turning purple. “She has to show up tomorrow or she’s done—"

“She’s got no obligation whatsoever with you,” Sehun snapped.

“You’ve no say with what she has to do,” replied the less hostile guy.

These people were the ones Aya had been conversing with weeks ago when Baekhyun went after her after she suddenly left the amusement park. So they were acquainted with Sehun, too? Who were they anyway? And what was their business with Aya?

The conversation—if it were even considered one—ended with Sehun telling them not to seek for Aya again, and that they might find themselves and Aya in trouble if they did.

When the two guys finally stormed away, Sehun remained in his post, his hands inside his pockets. Baekhyun, too, remained where he was.

After a full minute’s sile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter