Chapter 2

Feigned Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How very much cocky this Sehun dude seemed. He was practically gawking down at everyone from his pedestal of fame. Aside from his annoying good looks, he was also a brilliant student. Whatever school he had come from must have employed such high academic standards.

Majority of the female population got themselves under his feet, pining and heart-eyed. Half the boys in school contrarily found themselves loathing and envious of him. They especially wanted to crush those sharp lines framing his jaw and wipe that lethargic expression off his face. He was essentially a threat to their dating prospects.

Sehun, though, was indifferent. He was passive of anything regarding school. He was passive of everything in general. He was either yawning in his seat, staring out the window with his mouth slightly—and frankly dangerously—agape, or conversing with the one human he seemed to only successfully form a human conversation with: Aya. Not that he appeared particularly enthusiastic about it either. Nonetheless, he was very keen on, and even insistent with, walking her home.

One afternoon after third quarter results were posted, Sehun offered to buy Aya some ice cream for acing the batch—as if that was even a shock.

“It’s okay, Sehun.”

”What flavor would you like?” Sehun insisted as he led her down the staircase and out towards the sun-drenched soccer field.

“Sehun, really.” Even Aya was not used to the paradox that was this boy. He always sounded so bland and unfeeling, but his words connoted differently. He was a very sweet boy.

“Strawberry then,” Sehun replied, dragging his feet down the walkway surrounding the field’s perimeter.

Aya scooted beside him. “I said—"

“Small or medium?” Sehun prodded on, to Aya’s apparent amusement.

“You’ve got to be kidding me.” She was shaking her head.

“Three, two—"

“What? What’re you—"

“Large.”

“What the—?”

Placing a finger over her lips, he effectively hushed her. He then curled his hand around her wrist and towed her slowly out the campus.

There was an ice cream van parked two blocks away from their school. Five or so children were huddled around it; their arms raised high in anticipation of their cones.

Aya was instantly captured. She crouched between two girls and asked them what they ordered.

"Choc’lit," mumbled the one with the pigtails.

"Verna," said the other.

Aya's face morphed in confusion. "Verna?"

The girl in a pink dress and pink shoes nodded and smiled, showcasing her incomplete set of white and yellow teeth.

"She means Vanilla," someone said. Aya looked up at Sehun, but he was busy poring over his wallet.

"Right here, honey,” came the voice again. Aya turned the other way and found Baekhyun grinning cheekily at her.

“Baek, hi!” Sehun’s neck snapped towards their guest. His eyes narrowed. “Are you buying some ice cream, too?” Aya carried on. Her mood seemed ten times lighter. She had only bobbed her head once when the two kids she’d been interested in just seconds ago waved their goodbye. She rose to her height and smiled widely. “And how are your marks?”

“Hah!” Baekhyun’s grin widened even more, his small eyes conveying nothing but playfulness. “I’m pretty sure my highest hasn’t even reached half your lowest grade. I’m right, aren’t I?” And he laughed.

“Don’t say that,” Aya remarked. “So, what are you—?"

“Aya,” Sehun was extending a large cone of ice cream towards her. It was mounted to at least five humongous scoops of various flavors. Aya could not remember ever seeing such a monstrous-looking ice cream.

“Sehun, are you serious?” She refused to take his offer but Sehun grabbed her hand and successfully shoved the cone within her clutch. She pouted at the sight.

“You should be able to finish that while we walk. Come on.” He took her wrist again, in a haste to get away from people. But Baekhyun blocked their path.

“What’s the rush?” He smirked. Baekhyun was not among the numerous guys envious or intimidated by Sehun. Sure, he was gorgeous and all that, but that didn’t bother Baekhyun, not in the slightest. He was fairly content with himself—mischievous and jolly, boisterous and blithe. “Aya, there’s an amusement park opening in our neighborhood. We’re gonna go there, do you wanna come?”

In truth, Baekhyun had been plotting ways to steal Aya for himself. He’d still been unnerved of the previous quarter’s incident; the detention he had ditched and yet had garnered positive feedback on. But after months of being unsuccessful, he gave up on furtive tactics and finally decided to just approach her.

In truth, one of the greater reasons why Baekhyun had held back on persistently asking Aya was Sehun. The boy was a miniscule step away from becoming Aya’s unofficial bodyguard. He remembered Sehun telling Aya to stay away from him, but what for?

“So?” Baekhyun’s smile turned innocent and expectant.

Aya wanted to come along. She really did. But she was mindful of Sehun. He would not come, she was certain of that, which meant that if she did go with Baekhyun, Sehun would be left to walk home by himself. She wasn’t sure she wanted that.

But Sehun suddenly said, “You should go. You like amusement parks. They’re stupid and filthy but you like them so, you should go.” Still looking at Aya, whose eyes were now the size of saucers, he said to Baekhyun, “Please walk her home. Goodnight, Aya.” And he backed away for his exit.

“He’s a handful, isn’t he?” Baekhyun noted. When she looked at Aya, she was still staring at Sehun’s retreating figure. She did a double-take. Should she just walk with him? That seemed the fair thing to do.

“Baek,” she began, “I think—"

“Baekhyun!” Aya peered over Baekhyun’s shoulder to see who had come. Three girls, two from the second class and one from the general sections, were waving excitedly at him.

“Well, hello, ladies.” Baekhyun’s unshy smile returned. “Mind if I bring company?” He linked his arm around Aya's and led the way.

Despite Aya’s sudden agitation, she beamed at them. “Hello. I hope I’m not being a joiner.” Just for today, she thought, Sehun would have to walk alone.

The girl from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter