Chapter 16

Feigned Ego
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can cover for you later,” a sweet voice said and Baekhyun’s head snapped around in search for its owner.

Cap donned and a face towel around his neck, he’d been trying to sneak in some sleep while his classmates busied over some exercise they were having for PE. Push-ups and curls were easy a task for him, but because he’d been in Solenn High’s aikido team for two years now, he could always make use of his exemption to slack around.

He tilted the peak of his cap and squinted at his classmate. But he was in the second class and he knew for a fact that Aya was from the speed class, so what was she doing here speaking with one of his classmates, her demeanor all smiles and sunshine?

He tried to recall their most recent conversation and unless he’d been drugged that time, he was sure she wasn’t as lively and friendly then as she was now. Or was she just not feeling well that day?

“Really?” said his classmate whose eyes were glassy with relieved tears.

Aya’s smile widened. “Of course I can. It’s important for you to be with your family at such a time after all, right?”

“Oh, Aya,” the girl stood. “How can I ever thank you?” She attempted to throw Aya a hug, but Aya raised a palm up.

“Not trying to smother me with all your sweat is good enough, I guess.” She grinned.

The girl’s cheeks turned a shade darker and then she laughed. “Right. Thanks again!”

Aya waved it off. “Listen, Solenn is still in your PE class, right?”

At the mention of her name, Baekhyun found himself jerking up to his feet. He knew it. Aya didn’t come to simply extend some random act of kindness after all. She came for Solenn; and whether that would spell out trouble for either of them, he wasn’t going to continue slacking around and let it happen.

“She’s there on the other corner doing push-ups, I think.”

“Ah, there,” Aya was craning her neck. “I see her. Thanks. See you around.”

Baekhyun followed course, but he kept at a distance to not seem too intrusive. For all he knew, he was just thinking too much over it. For what did he really know about Aya or Solenn? Nothing.

He squat beside a classmate doing curl-ups as soon as Aya had reached Solenn. The dubious assessment of his classmate was met with indifference; Baekhyun was intent at keeping tabs on Aya and Solenn’s conversation.

He realized, as he pretended to seem uninterested with his surroundings, that he was being such a girl with whatever he was doing at the moment. What the hell am I even doing, eavesdropping like a high school chic?

“Well, hello there,” came a shrill tone. Baekhyun took a peek. Solenn. “Aren’t you the ugly duckling in this class?”

Baekhyun mirrored Solenn’s look of surprise when Aya answered gleefully. “Hello, Solenn.”

It took a minute before Solenn could speak again. “Swans don’t fit well with ducks, you know.”

The remark only made Aya chuckle. “I’m not a swan and I’m not trying to be either. And you’re already in the speed class so if such things as swans and ducks even exist, we’d both be wearing the same feathers. Anyway, I’m only here to pass you a message.”

A message? Baekhyun shifted. He was already itching to scream at his classmates and tell them to shut up.

“From the moderator of the Arts Club,” Aya clarified. “You’re the VP, right? Your moderator said your president couldn’t make it to your meeting later so she wants you to preside over it, as the next in command.”

Solenn didn’t reply immediately. She stood, pat her sweats and chugged down an entire bottle before facing Aya completely. “The school play is just around the corner.”

Aya smiled. “Well then, I guess that’s it. I have to get back—“

“It’s going to be a musical, Aya.”

“Hm?”

Something sparked in the corners of Solenn’s eyes then, and Baekhyun was a perfect embodiment of mischief that he recognized instantly the malice underneath her watch.

“We’re gonna need all the help we can get to make this production a big success.”

For the first time since Aya’s entrance this morning, Baekhyun noticed the split second waver in her sweet countenance. She recovered with another smile. “All the best to your team, then.” She started backing away and—

“We’ll be needing dancers, too, you know.”

Aya’s feet froze. It was astonishing how she was able to maintain her smile despite the underlying implication of Solenn’s statement. But more so than that, how did Solenn know about it? It wasn’t until two days ago that Baekhyun discovered Aya’s dancing skills. Or had Solenn always known about it? But from the way Aya seemed to squirm beneath Solenn’s covert onslaught, Solenn wasn’t supposed to know either. How then?

Ah, this is so stupid! Baekhyun stood at last and galloped towards the two. “Aya, sweetheart, it’s so rare to see you visit us! What brings you, honey?”

Aya rolled her eyes at him, the way she usually did when she was overseeing his detention. It was so natural yet deceptive, for he knew she was only striving to keep the lid to her secret sealed. “I always come by to fetch you for detention, though. Anyway, I should really be getting back or else—“

“It’s already dismissal for the speed class in fifteen minutes,” Solenn said. “What’s the hurry?”

Aya turned for her. “No, actually, we’d been dismissed since lunch. We have practical homework for Physics. Our teacher said she’ll inform you about it herself.” She hid her hands behind her in a knot. “My groupmates are waiting for me so I need to go—“

“You’re an awful liar, Aya, you know that?”

Baekhyun held his breath for what was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter