o2.

The Inevitable
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter 2

 

“Is something wrong?” Jongdae sat by my side as the doctor and nurse walked out, “You look pale.”

What'd just happened?

Colour drained from my face.

The man stumbled backwards and bumped into the curtain. It didn’t budge. The thin cloth of curtain didn’t budge at all when he leaned against it.

His breathing grew ravage, his chest heaved heavily. His eyes searched for some sort of explanation, and they eventually landed on me – the only person who acknowledged him. “What...What’s happening to me?!”

My breath was caught up in my throat. The beeping of heart monitor ascended.

How could I explain something I don’t even understand?

“Jihae, are you okay?” Jongdae grabbed a hold of my trembling hands. He looked at me with concerned eyes, “Do you want me to call the doctor?”

“What kind of a sick joke is this?!”

My eyes involuntarily locked with the stranger. The heart monitor beeped at a furious speed.

Jongdae let go of my hands and stood up to go get the doctor. I quickly grabbed onto his wrist. He couldn’t leave me here. He couldn’t leave me with that terrifying stranger.

Why was everyone pretending like he’s not there?

“Jongdae-ah,” my grip on his wrist tightened, “don’t you see him?” my voice came out in a shaky whisper. I raised a trembling finger to the man crouching down at a corner of the small partition. His hands were grabbing onto his hair in raging fear.

“Jihae,” Jongdae tensed under my hold, “there’s nobody there.”

 

-

 

“Heartbeat reading is normal so far. Make sure you take your medicine after dinner, okay?”

“Okay,” I smiled, “thank you, Lee-sshi.”

She scrunched up her nose and blew a raspberry, “Just call me Soonkyu.”

“Your happiness is giving me cancer.”

But of course she didn’t hear that. I tried my very best to not look over my side where the strange guy from before was constantly pouring out bitter remarks on everything.

Soonkyu walked out of my partition to serve the other patients.

“So I was thinking,” He stood, showing off his tall and lean figure in hospital clothing just like mine, “maybe this is some sort of a superpower.”

“What? Being invisible and unable to touch anything?” My remark made him glare. “Or the fact that you can’t make contact with other living things?”

It was getting fun to see his frustrated expression and his inability to get back to me physically. Though his glaring was pretty scary, but I was getting used to that.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter