Letters

Tangled Heartstrings

Pairing: Sehun/Minzy/Kai

Her gaze followed his figure – walking towards her, holding two cups on his hands and he flashed a smile.  Heart fluttering; shy at his antics. Looking down, she avoided the grin she received. Those creases at the side of his eyes, eyes twinkling beneath those eyelashes, she could see sincerity in him. She loved him, so much. 

When she was alone, crying in the dark, Jongin would visit her, accompanied her throughout the night. The sweet kisses they shared, the cuddles they had, to her, it was comforting. And when she made herself too comfortable, it became too familiar that she mistook him as someone else.

A name that belong to no one, not even the person in front of him. When she was caught by it, he would smile, chuckled a little and pulled her to a hug.

“It will be fine, Minji. I am always here.”

 

Delving his hand deep inside the drawer, Jongin found the paper he was searching for. Crumpled a bit, but he still kept it safe. Covered with stains, he stared at it. A voice at the back of his head told him to put it back, but his heart was leaning towards the letter. The letter that he treasured most, yet at the same time pains him in every possible way because if he read it again, he would write it back; and he knew that there would be another pile of letters in his room.

Yet, he opened it up to read.

 

To my dearest friend, Jongin.

I am writing this to you is because I have a favor to ask for. It’s been a while since I walk. To the times we go out together. I’m sorry if I couldn't be around. It doesn't mean that I don’t love and miss the both of you. I've been thinking, since I don’t have much time left. Before it’s too late, will you help me to take care of her? Be the pillar in her life. Keep her beautiful smile. I beg, no matter what; please don’t let her down. Love her as much I do, be that someone that wakes up to every morning, listen to her silent hums, lead her to every step in life.

And Jongin, please tell her that I am sorry. Sorry for not being able to be that someone in her life. I am sorry if I can’t stay by her side even if I wanted to.

Please, tell her that I loved her very much, and I am happy – thankful for giving me a chance to be in love, to be loved.

Thank you, Kim Jongin.

Thank you.

Your friend,

Oh Sehun

 

Another stain of tears marked the letter. Jongin took a pen and a paper, ready to reply.

 

Hey bestfriend,

How have you been? I hope you are well. I missed you. And she misses you too. It’s been hard for you, for me and her. But never to worry, dear buddy. I will promise you she will be safe in my arms. She will always love you, you know that right?

I hope that you will receive this letter. I hope that one day; you will realize that you are that special person in her heart that no one can ever replace.

Sehun,

If you didn't die…

 

He stopped. Hands trembling, eyes quivered, torrent of tears gushing down. Choked by the lump in his throat, Jongin tried so hard to control. Squeezing the pen hard and shutting his eyes, he crumpled the paper and threw it at the corner of the room, together with the remaining unsent letters.

“If you didn't die, Sehun. She could be happier.”

 

Because he knew, deep down in his heart, Sehun was irreplaceable. Deep down, he knew he couldn't win against him in winning Minji’s heart.

Jongin knew that he couldn't love him as much as Sehun loved her.