Nine

Espresso

Kai's POV:

Anger? That didn't even begin to explain it.

My heart felt like someone was stepping on it over and over again, purposely trying to find the angles that would inflict the most amount of pain possible. I wanted to scream and rip my hair out, but I had an image to keep.

I couldn't bring myself to take in Minae's words. I wanted to rewind time, go back so that I would've never confessed to her. Maybe that way, I wouldn't have felt the pain I did right now. It was unbearable, and all I could do was shove a fist in my mouth to muffle the sound of my cries.

It was amazing how I could get so attached to someone within the time span of a little over a month. I felt like she was the one that was meant for me. She always nodded understandingly whenever I told her about my past mistakes. She gave me warm cups of coffee to soothe me down when I was feeling irritated or worn out. She reciprocated the favor by telling me her own issues, making me feel like I was actually a part of her world.

The feeling was something I had never felt before. Girls had come and gone, but none of them had actually stayed to get to know me, to see me as Jongin. Not until I met her.

But I had been stupid. I had been rash. I didn't think about the possibility of Minae having another guy in her life. Hell, I hated to even know that the possibility was out there. But knowing that it was actually true?

Life didn't even seem worth it.

And of course, old habits died hard.

Stepping into my car, the first thing I did was step on the gas pedal and speed off to my favorite club nearby. My brain wasn't thinking straight, and all I could think about was which girl I would choose to sleep with this time.

Shoving my way through the crowd in front of the entrance, the bouncer immediately recognized me and allowed me to enter. I briskly made my way to the counter, ordering a couple of shots right away. Almost instantly, I seemed to calm down and my body started to loosen up from all of the tension.

"Kai?"

Looking in the direction of the voice, I looked to see an old hyung I had first learned dance with.

"Lay hyung?"

He smiled and slapped a hand on my back.

"Never thought I would see you here."

"Neither did I. I thought you were supposed to be over at the States right now."

He shrugged while taking the seat next to me.

"I finished my business over there ahead of time so I decided to come back a little early."

"Way to call me when you arrived."

He chuckled.

"At least we're here now. Hey, I was actually on my way to meet a couple of friends. Do you want to come with me?"

"Why not?"

Getting up, I felt the alcohol slowly sinking in a bit more. It was the perfect source of anesthetic.

I followed behind him as we made our way through the dance floor, grabbing some girls by the waist on the way. They shot me flirty looks and I bit my lip, winking at them. However, knowing Lay hyung wasn't the type to play around with girls, I sent them off and arrived in front of a door. He had already walked in, so I simply opened the door.

Scanning the room, I could see a couple of guys laughing around a table. Nearing them, I took a spot next to Lay and the others looked to see who it was.

"Hey guys. This is my old friend Kai. I was just on my way here when I ran into him."

One by one, I met Chen, Luhan, and Suho. They were actually pretty fun to hang out with, and I was glad I had run into Lay today. Otherwise, I probably would've been banging some girl right now, ending up regretting everything in the morning.

In the middle of our conversation about football, the door burst open and I could see another figure walking in. The room was dimly lit, so I couldn't quite make out the facial features.

"Sehun! Way to show up late man."

Sehun?

Great. Just the guy I wanted to see.

"Sorry, hyungs. My mom kept trying to nag me about this girl she wanted me to meet. I couldn't brush her off for a while."

As he got closer and closer, I slowly began to make out the lines of his face and my mouth immedietly tightened. At that moment, he met my gaze and gave me a look, as if he was asking me what I was doing here.

"Oh, Sehun. You came in late so you didn't get to hear my little intro, but this is Kai. He's been a friend of mine since junior high. A total lady-killer and one of the best dancers out there."

He nodded, acknowleding my existence.

"I wouldn't be surprised."

I shot him a glare and he smirked, picking up a shot and chugging it down.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq_fk8j8Ryg2U4thYGYZJ

With empty glass bottles laying around the floor and the table, it was pretty obvious that the guys had been knocked out. Lay and Suho were laughing their asses off about nothing while Luhan and Chen were getting it on the dance floor, a girl with each of them.

The only ones sober enough to carry out a decent conversation were me and Sehun, which didn't exactly please me at the moment.

I had been ignoring his stare all night, trying prevent mysel from flying a fist into his face. Having the one who currently held Minae's heart in front of me didn't really boost my ego.

"What happened to your little date with Minae? Didn't go so well?"

I scoffed.

"Are you really fine with calling it a date?"

His eyebrows furrowed.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"Doesn't it bother you to say like that when you're talking about your own girlfriend?"

"Girlfriend?"

"I don't need the innocent act. She already told me."

"Told you what?"

Alright. Now he was starting to get irritating.

"God damn. Just give up already. If you're feeling sorry for me, don't."

"Trust me, there's no need to feel sorry for someone who's rich enough to buy a ing continent. I have no idea what the hell you're talking about."

My brain swirled around, trying to grasp the right thoughts.

"I thought you and Minae were dating."

He stared at me for a while before plastering a smirk onto his face.

"You're really innocent, do you know that?"

Irritated at the way he was treating me like a child, I chucked the nearest glass cup at the wall behind him, shattering it into bits. Rather than reacting the way I wanted him to, he just stood up and walked behind me, leaning into my ear.

"She lied to you, Kai. And you believed her."

With that, he promptly left the room, leaving me to stare at the glass shards on the ground.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq_fk8j8Ryg2U4thYGYZJ