Eight

Espresso

Minae's POV:

To say that things were slowly moving along was a complete understatement.

I felt like Jongin and I knew everything about each other, starting from our childhood memories to our deepest secrets. He quickly became that best friend I never had, the only one I could tell everything to.

But the closer we got, the more wary I became.

I knew I was finding myself falling for him, loving every little thing he did. The way this chic guy had such a dorky laugh. The way he would show me his latest dance moves with excitement in every step. The way he would offer to walk me around campus, something I always rejected because of the fear of his admirers piercing my back with their glares.

I was his rock, and he was already becoming mine.

And it all scared me.

I didn't have the confidence, the mindset to date such a guy. Sure, I accepted his past and understood why he did what he did, but the thought still lingered in the back of my mind. He was the type to heartlessly throw away any girl, innocent or not, and I didn't want to become one of those leftovers.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq_fk8j8Ryg2U4thYGYZJ

Wiping off the last coffee stains on the counter, I threw the dirty rag into the sink and washed my hands with some soap. After drying my hands with the towel hanging nearby, I gathered some supplies to make my own drink. In the process, Sehun came up behind me and leaned his head on my shoulder. Too busy with the task at hand, I simply ignored his presence, causing him to pout.

"Really?"

"What?"

"How does a girl just ignore me when I'm trying so hard to get her attention? Your cheeks should be the deepest shade of red by now."

I giggled and poured the espresso into a cute, little mug. Grabbing the container of cream, I fiddled around and placed a small trace of hearts on top of my drink.

"I'm not just any girl, oppa."

He rolled his eyes and stole the mug from my hands. Taking a sip, he created a layer of foam across the top of his lips. I smirked at his mistake and shook my head. Snatching the drink back into my grasp, I took a sip for myself and smiled as the warmth spread throughout my body.

"Aren't you going to take care of this?"

Looking over, I noticed him pointing at the foam on his upper lip. He puckered up and leaned in close to me, obviously asking for a little kiss.

"I'm pretty sure you don't pay her to do that kind of ."

Turning my head, I looked to see Jongin walking in the cafe, a slouchy black beanie on his head and a nice-fitting plaid flannel to show off his toned torso. 

Sehun rolled his eyes and backed away, taking a napkin and wiping off the foam himself.

"Nice to see you here, buzzkill."

"Is that how you should be speaking to your customer?"

"Cafe's closed. You're not my customer right now."

"Oppa."

Sehun turned to look at me as I shot him a wary look. Knowing that I didn't want this conversation to go any further, he sighed while ruffling his hair. I grabbed his hand and gave it a small squeeze, trying to calm down his nerves a little.

"Alright, babe. I think I'm going to go now. Make sure to lock up after yourself, and call me if he tries anything funny."

"If there was anyone here that tried something funny, it would be you."

Ignoring Jongin's little remark, Sehun slung his jacket over his shoulder and walked out of the cafe, closing the door with a little slam.

"You pissed him off."

He shrugged and sat down, taking the seat next to me.

"I was just trying to help you."

"I don't need your help. He does that kind of stuff all of the time."

Reaching over, he grabbed the cup of coffee out of my hands and took a sip, similar to what Sehun had done. Only this time, there were no foam remnants.

"You know, I've been coming over for over a month straight now, and every single time I come here, that guy is trying to pull a move on you."

"It's not a move. He's just joking around. He's just that kind of guy."

"Well I don't think he should be doing that."

"And why not?"

"Because it gives people the wrong impression. They might think you guys are dating or something."

"Let them think what they want. How is that going to affect me?"

"Do you want them to think that?"

I set the cup down on the counter and shot him a look.

"Why are you asking me so many questions?"

"Because I'm jealous."

My mouth went dry and my eyes rounded. I turned to look at him, only to meet his piercing gaze. He wasn't faltering at all. Instead, he was only leaning in closer. It was then that I snapped back to attention and cleared my throat.

"You're not thinking about your words, Jongin. That's going to cause you trouble in the future."

He shook his head.

"No, I am thinking through this. I know what I said, and I mean it."

It amazed me how straightforward this guy could be. My eyes lingered around, trying to think of another subject to talk about. At the moment, my brain was just buzzing with thoughts, trying to figure out what the hell was actually happening here.

Feeling his hand grab mine, I turned to see him planting a kiss on it. I immediately pulled away and he looked up at me, shooting me a sad smile.

"Do you remember when I told you I was attracted to you?"

I didn't respond.

"I wasn't kidding."

His eyes continued to drill into mine, only rendering to make me speechless.

"I know I'm not the only one feeling this way."

Knowing I was only digging a bigger hole for myself, I said the first thing that came to mind.

"I'm dating Sehun."

He paused and stopped to stare at me.

"What?"

"Sehun. He's my boyfriend."

I honestly didn't know what the hell I was doing. Here I was with the guy that had managed to tear down my walls, only to make up lies and push him away.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes, taking small glances at each other. I took a spoon and swirled the coffee around, holding my breath as I waited for his reaction, only to be disappointed.

Watching as he slowly got up from his seat and walked out, I bit my lower lip and tightened my grip on the mug.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQq_fk8j8Ryg2U4thYGYZJ