The recognition

The Promise

 

6 years later.

 

It was 2 weeks into the start of the semester in Daehan University.


"Eunmi, wake up!” Krystal impatiently called out from the mirror for the third time this morning.

Eunmi sat up, and glanced over at her alarm clock. “Oh , it’s already 8.” Sighing, Eunmi sat up in bed for a moment before shuffling to the bathroom, stumbling on the carpet as she made her way across her unfamiliar dorm room.

“You look out sorts again. Why? Dreamt about your childhood fantasy again?” Krystal teased half-heartedly.

“Well. If only I could remember who that boy is, maybe I’ll stop dreaming about who gave me that necklace.” Eunmi shouted from the bathroom. Even though she could never explain why she always felt a little fluttery feeling in her heart every time she dreamt about that chubby little boy, she knew that the unknown boy was a big part of her world when she was 13.


It is no doubt that Eunmi had grown significantly much over the past 6 years. Being rid of her abusive drunk father when she was 15, she has learnt to become an independent and self-reliant person. And although she was diagnosed with Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) which made her lose a significant part of her memory as a child due to the physical abuse she was subjected to, she is now able to lead a normal life and for the first time, she is looking forward to her future.

 

***
 

 

After a long evening spent at the library hunting for resources, Krystal and Eunmi made their way down the hallway and out of the main building of the university.

 

“Oh yeah, Eunmi, my Unnie has been feeding with the latest gossips about the students in Daehan University.” Krystal said and after regarding Eunmi's expression for a moment, she playfully continued, “I heard that there’s this fighter boy called… Kris? He’s a business major like us and apparently he joins those hardcore fight nights or something. There’s a fight going on tonight and I’ve been hearing that it’s something that we should not miss-”

 

“What does “we” mean? You know how much I hate violence. I’m sorry but you should know why.” Eunmi gave her an apologetic smile.

 

“Oh c’mon, Eunmi! Just for one night. Just to soak in the atmosphere. If at any moment you feel uncomfortable, we’ll get out immediately. Please?”


Eunmi took her plea into consideration for a moment. She really hated violence, but she guessed that she’d have to face her fears someday. “Okay,” she resigned. “Just ten minutes and we’re out”

 

“Yes! Just ten minutes. It’s just a short car ride over. I’ll go pick up my car and we’ll go! Just wait here for me, I’ll go grab my car and drive it over” Krystal half-jogged away.

 

Remembering that she left her bottle in the library, Eunmi returned back into the building to retrieve it only to see a male student exiting the building. Eunmi glanced over for a brief moment out of curiosity as he seemed to be in a great hurry and marveled at how freakishly tall that guy was. Upon making eye contact, the tall male froze.

 

She’s … Eunmi.