Prologue

The Promise

6 years ago.

 

“I can wait. I'll wait for you,” Eunmi muttered, shaking her head in denial as her childhood best friend informed her about his impending departure.

“But I may never come back. Mom said never-” Kris started to explain.

“No Kris,” Eunmi pleaded, “No, I'll wait. No matter how long it’ll take, I trust you.”

Kris regarded his best friend for a moment and decided to take a leap of faith.

“Okay Eunmi, then I’ll promise you. I’ll promise you that no matter what, I'll come back for you. When I grow older, I'll come back. I promise."
 

But deep down inside, he too, was afraid of separation because god knows how long it’ll be before he’s allowed to see her again. He knew he was too young to do anything and it was impossible to disobey his mother. His mind was telling him that it’s illogical to give her any promises but his heart was telling him otherwise. He just wanted to reassure her and in some way convince himself that somewhere in the future, they could spend forever together.


"Promise?" Eunmi asked.

"Promise."

Their pinkies interlocked and Eunmi’s worried expression instantly evaporated and was now replaced with a cheery bright smile.


In attempt to light up the atmosphere, Kris reached into his left shirt pocket and took out a necklace with a small heart charm hanging on it and placed it on Eunmi's hand gently.

 

“Now I’m entrusting my heart to you so you better protect it. I would warn you not to lose it but then again… you’re so clumsy” Kris joked and flashed his boyish smile.

 

Eunmi, feeling insulted, shot him a dirty look and slapped his shoulder playfully.


“I’m really gonna miss you.”