Tick Tock.

She Saved Me

Every footstep sent pounding through my ears, fear had consumed me once again. Walking through the hallways at school, I recalled the fear I felt on my first day. This time however, I was nervous for a completely different reason. I eyed every corner, turn and enterance. I kept my watchful eyes alert, hoping that Krystal wouldn't suddenly pounce. I kept wondering, could she notice? Could she tell the difference in the way I looked at Amber? I rubbed my arm nervously as I let my thoughts consume me. I tried my best to avoid Amber, I hadn't left my room over the weekend and tried my best to ignore my messages. Last night I dreamt the same nightmare that I dream every night, I couldn't afford for that to become a reality.

Just as I had let my guard down, an arm slung itself over my shoulder, indicating the failure in my watchful guard. I looked up to find Amber, looking down at me, smiling. "Where have you been? I haven't heard from you in a while," the cheerful notes in her voice sent tingles down my spine and blood pumping through my veins. I knew I had to leave, I had to get away from her before anyone noticed the difference in my eyes. But I decided to reward myself, after a weekend, I finally decided to stare. I slowly felt my pupils enlarge, and my eyes change in its expression, it was an indication that I had to leave, now. I regretfully took a deep breathe, and ran. Leaving Amber without an answer and me, with a empty space above my shoulder. 

I ran as fast as I could, ignoring their watchful stares and preying eyes. I shut my eyes and ran till I reached the field at the far end of the school. I hid behind the bleachers and slouched down onto the floor. "What are you doing Ruth?" I questioned silently to myself and removed a clip from my entangled hair. I shoved my head into my hands, hiding myself from the world. My stomach churrned and I felt horrible. Against every instinct I had, I managed to run away from Amber. I couldn't bare to walk back into the same hallways again, I decided that I wouldn't go for classes today, I needed time away from Amber. 

I sighed as I watched the sun beam down and the grass gently touch the tip of my shoes. I blew a peice of hair out of my face and waited for the bell to ring. "Hey, what are you doing here?" A familiar voice called, and Jack's face came into view. I looked down towards my shoes, attempting to think of a response. "I'm just feeling a little sluggish today," I responded, without any life in my tone. It was a bad excuse, but it was one. Jack made a noise somewhat of a grunt and continued to sit down beside me. "So, thinking of skipping class are you?" His head turned to face mine, his words capturing my attention. "Well, some might call me an expert," Jacks playful smirk sent a giggle escaping from my mouth. "Well, what do you have in mind?" I asked, payfully, only to have a wink as a response.

The bell rang, and Jack hoisted me up onto my feet, pulling me along with him gently. We climbed over the back gate secretively and snuck quiety out of school. "So, what are you into? Art, movies, shopping?" Jack asked as he shoved his hands into his pockets. "I think you're more of a movies girl, no offense," Jack turned to glance at my choice of clothing. Although I would have been offended, a glance at my outfit of the day sent a blush of embarrasment shooting up towards my cheeks. Most girls my age around here dress in fancy branded attire, and there I was, in a baggy shirt and jeans. "So, let's go catch a movie, shall we?" Jack gleamed and I nodded my head excitedly. 

"First step of skipping school," Jack suddenly turned and said. "Call in sick," Jack smirked as he typed in a number on his phone and held it against his ear. "Hello?" I bursted into laughter, Jack had spoken in such a bad impersination of an elderly woman that I couldn't help but laugh. "This is Ruth's grandmother, she will not be attending school today. I'm afraid she has a bad case of food poisioning," A goodbye later and I was preactically rolling on the floor. I wiped a tear from my eye and chuckled a final laughter and walked into the Theatre, with Jack in hand. 

"Awh, there aren't any good movies out," Jack sighed as he pretended to weep. "Oh well, let's just get you home. Say that the nurse sent you," Jack winked, I chuckled and we were on our way back to my house. "So, what do you think of Amber and Krystal? Noisy bunch aren't they?" Jack said, clearing up the awkward pause between us. I tensed up at the names of both Amber and Krystal in a single sentence. Jack noticed my sudden tense movement and attempted to change the topic. "We'll catch a movie another time, when the shows get better," he chuckled, I nodded. "Definately," I said with a smile. 

We were barely reaching my house when a bothersome thought kept surging through me. "Hey, Jack," I began to question as his head tilted towards mine. I fumbled with my fingers, strapped along some courage, and spoke. "Why do you think Amber's being so nice to me?" I saw Jacks face turn towards the ground as he began to think. I realised the obvious intent behind my question and decided to add on to the story. "I mean, you too. Why are you all being so nice to me? I'm a new kid, and aren't you guys popular?" Jack turned to me with a laughter emerging from his lips. "Well, how do you think popular kids get popular?" Jack asked as I began to ponder. "We were all new kids once, we just made the right friends, that's all," Jack smiled and a warmth filled my heart. 

"Well, that's me," I said as I pointed towards my house. "Well, goodbye Ruth," Jack waved as I waved back. "Oh wait, what's your number?" Jack turned back around to face me as I typed my digits into his cell phone. We waved goodbye once again and I stepped into my house. "Sweetheart?" My aunts voice filled the air. "What are you doing home?" Concerned arouse in her voice. "The nurse sent me home, I might have a slight fever," I spoke with my fingers crossed behind my back. My aunt forced me to lay down in my bed, with a towel to my forehead as she began making a special home remedy.

I sighed and glanced at my phone. 2 messages from Amber, 1 message from Jack. I picked up my phone, completely ignoring Ambers messages and went straight to Jack's message.

"Hey, did it work?" - Jack

I giggled at the sight of the message and went straight for a reply, only to recieve another message instantly. I looked through my messages to find an unknown messager. I shrugged, thinking it would just be another cellphone advertisement, and clicked onto it.

"I know your secret"-

I gasped at the sight, did someone find out about Amber and me? I shook my head and decided to play it cool.

"Excuse me?" - Ruth

My cellphone beeped and my heart practically jumped out of my chest, fearing the contents of the reply.

 

"Don't play shy with me Ruth, I know everything. It didn't suprise me though, everyone loves Amber. 

But, why don't you take your eyes off her face for once and notice the crowd around you?

Why don't you take the time to look at the other list of girls who admire her from afar?

But, do you know why they admire from afar?

Because they are all afraid.

Are you afraid, Ruth?

You have 24 hours to reply." -

 

 

A/N: Sorry guys, I am so sorry that I haven't updated in forever... I have just been so unbelivably busy. I have taken an extra job to pay off my tuition fees, which means less free time to write. I hope you all understand. I will try to upload more often from now on, I really will try. But on the other hand, thank you guys so much, I love you all. Every single subscriber, comment, message, just means everything to me. It keeps me so motivated and genuinely happy that people enjoy reading my story. I am so sorry if this chapter wasn't too good, it is really late and I just got back from work. But thank you all so much, I will update this more regularly from now on. I thank each and every one of you. xx