Close.

She Saved Me

After dealing with the chaos that filled the cafeteria. Pleasant could barely even begin to describe how I felt. Ambers comforting words and smile filled my heart with comfort and peace. Even as the nurse came in to look at my bruise, Amber still managed to keep her hand fixed in mine, providing me with a reassuring warmth. "Alright, let me have a look at you," the nurse spoke as she rolled up my sleeve and began to examine the darkened bruise. "Oh, you'll need some ointment for that," she sighed as she pulled out a bottle of medicine from the cabinet and applied it generously to the bruise. "How did you manage to damage yourself so badly?" She nurse questioned as I winced at the slight sting that the ointment released onto my skin. 

I thought about it for a second, was I willing to tell the truth? About the two jocks who beat me up on my first day at school? No doubt Amber knows that Krystal is somewhat related to them, since she did say that Amber knows everything about her. But what would that lead to? More beatings? More threatening agreements made with Krystal? I shook my head and decided, a lie it shall be. "I tripped on my foot and fell down the stairs," I giggled, pretending to laugh at my clumsiness. As a response, both the nurse and Amber nodded in understanding. A sense of relief washed over me, realising that they had fallen for my lie. "That's alright, it will heal in a week or two. Come back and see me in a week and I'll check up on it," The nurse spoke as I nodded my head and Amber reached for my shoulders, helping me to stand up as we thanked the nurse and left.

"You know, I'm really glad you and Krystal have become friends," Amber began to speak, making small talk between us. "Oh, um, yeah," I  responded, going along with Krystal's lie.  "Yeah, I'm just happy that she won't see you as a threat anymore. She's actually a really nice person once you get to know her," Amber turned to smile at me. "Yeah, I'd hope so..." I trailed off as I recepocated her smile. We almost reached the door to our math class, when Amber swung me around in the other direction, forcing me to walk towards the schools exit. "Where are we going?" I questioned,  the thought of skipping class had appalled me.  "We are going to celebrate," she added in a triumph filled tone. I gulped slowly, forcing my words down my throat as I obligingly followed her lead as we marched out of the school doors.

"Relax!" Amber laughed at my stiff position as I sat silently next to her on a park bench. "Don't worry, " she placed her arms on my shoulders, attempting to shake the stiffness out of me. "Hey, I'm your friend, I wouldn't get you into trouble even if my life depended on it," somehow, those final words had comforted me, reminding me that Amber was my friend, someone who I was able to trust. I slouched my shoulders forward in comfort and let out a bright smile. My fear was replaced by excitement as I realized that this was the first time I had ever done something truly rebellious. I held my head back as I let the wind flow through my hair, allowing the cooling sensation to take over me. I soon realized that it was far too quiet and turned to Amber, expecting her to be doing the same, letting herself flow with the wind. But she was just watching me, so intently with her eyes as they grazed across very inch of my face. She soon let out a subtle smile and whispered, "that's more like it," she pulled her gaze away from me, shut her eyes, and let her head rest on a tree trunk that sat behind her.

The last time I had seen someone like this was when my parents were still alive, when I was three years old and we all had played in the park together. But right now, I had seen it being repeated again, the look of pure bliss. I watched as Amber shut her eyes, drifting off from the world and yet, a smile still managed to play on her lips. 'How could anyone be so unbelievably content with life?' That's a question I seemed to wonder about whenever I was with Amber. It was probably the reason why everyone loved her, she was just lovable. Her eyes slowly opened and turned to meet mine once again. I smiled at her, taking in the sight. She smiled back, just as enthusiastically. She stood up, took my hand in hers and pulled me up as we started our walk in the park together. "I want to show you something," she whispered in my ear as a cheerful gleam displayed itself across her face.

I followed every footstep that she laid onto the soft mud carefully, stepping over every foot print. She moved a branch out of our away, and held it out for me to pass through it. "Almost there," she mumbled as a drop of sweat dripped down her forehead. A few more meters uphill and Amber wrapped her hands around me, covering my eyes.  "Walk forward," she instructed as I followed. Stepping over a couple of branches, and stopped when I felt a strong wind gush over me. She lifted her hands off my eyes and stepped back, allowing me to open my eyes.

My hands fumbled with each other to reached the gasp that released from my mouth. There, standing before me, was a literal, breath taking sight. The way the colours formed and convulsed and mixed with each other in the sky formed a smile to stretch out across my face and a gleam that lot my eyes. It was so unbelivably picturesque and perfect. It was as if an artist had painted a perfect canvas in the sky. "Amber, this is..." Words had failed me as I was unable to find a word to describe the magnetic art work displayed in front of me.  

A laughter filled my soul as she moved fourth to step beside me. "Amazing, isn't it?" I turned to find her gazing at the sight, just as flabbergasted by the view as I was. "I used to bring myself up here whenever I felt like I wasn't worth it," she smiled at me, hiding the sadness that was contained in her mind. "You're the first person I've shown this to" she smirked, I was shocked. Why did she chose me, someone she's only known for two days? "Not even Krystal?" Surely, she would have told Krystal about this place. "Nope, not even Krystal. This place was my own. But I thought, maybe it was time to share it," her face lit up, and so did mine. This meant she trusted me, this meant that I knew something that Krystal didn't. This was a confirmation, Amber trusted me and I trusted her. 

"Amber, I.." I tried to find the words to thank her, surely, something as simple as 'thank you' definitely wasn't good enough. I fumbled with words and murmured till Amber hand to grab my hands and clasp them together to calm me down. "It's alright," she whispered. 

I looked up, gasping at the lack of space between us and the way her eyes drew towards my lips, and back to stare at my eyes.  I didn't understand it, nor describe it. It was a burning desire to get closer, move closer. There was something about the way she looked at me, it sent a fire burning deep into my chest, spreading to it's surroundings. I must have looked completely shocked, as Amber chuckled to herself, and set my hands aside. "Pay me back another time," she smiled to me, allowing me to  be filled with disapointment as the space opened up between us.

"Another time," she whispered.

 

A/N: *insert evil laughter here* I am sorry for the tease  ;) But hey, there's progress! Tee hee. Well, my day was wonderful, lunch with my dad and the most wonderful subscribers in the world. Those who have just commented, thank you, truly, I thank you. Really keeps me motivated and really does warm my heart haha.  I will see to it that I will continue writing this story till it's end, I swear it. Thank you so much you guys, love you all! xx