Nightmares.

She Saved Me

I shut my eyes, ignored all the sounds around me, and drifted off to sleep. I had been coming up here everyday, to catch the sunset. The little hill that Amber had shown me too. I had spent my days, rushing over to my secret spot high up in the hill, day dreaming on the grass till the sunset came. Tonight, I felt exhausted, I couldn't even move. Gym in school today had done a number on me. I had never been put in a room with that many physically fit people before, not to mention Krystal. I sghed, mixed with a yawn, and slowly fell asleep.

Loud music, dancing fires and laughters had awoken me from my treasured rest. I sat up, buzzed and annoyed and glanced down across the river below the hill. By the river bank, there was a campfire, filled with truck loads of people. They all laughed, they all sang, they were all from my school. A part of me was curious, and a part of me was disappointed that I wasn't invited. I wasn't really suprised though, being friends with Amber didn't exclude the fact that I was an outcast. I starred down towards the fire, concentrating even further, trying to identify the blurred faces. Although my efforts were to no avail, there was one very distinct person in the crowd. Flowing hair, flawless skin, and a walk that put all others to shame. Krystal stood next to the fire, talking and laughing with her friends. It made me wonder, Krystal probably was just like Amber, fun, lovable. She clearly could have any girl she wanted, so why her? Why Amber? 

I shook my head and decided that I should leave, judging by the darkness in the sky, it was way past curfew. I grabbed my jacket and carefully watched each of my steps. Navigating the field at the top of the hill proved to be difficult without a flashlight. I scream emerged from me as a tripped over something as simple as a twig. I huffed at my clumsines and moved on, making sure not to cause any abrupt noises. I reached the last and worst part of descending the hill, the long plunge downwards. I remember the first time I had gone down this path, I instantly fell and was covered in sharp cuts the grass had made on me. I sighed, carefully gripping a branch and slowly, stepping one foot after another. 

A laughter abrupted from behind me, and a smile emerged on my face. I climbed back up the hill and let my hand leave from the branch. "What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be across the lake?" I called out through the darkness and pointed towards the campfire. "And miss out on your clumsiness? Not likely," a chuckle resounded in the air as Amber peeked out of the bushes and into the moonlight. "Good evening m'lady," Amber mocked as she walked towards the edge, closer to the campfire, as I followed. I watched as she starred at the campfire, more specifically, towards Krystal. "Why aren't you there with her?" I asked, hoping that it was appropriate to. "Well, I prefer to be up here," Amber looked at me, laughed and ruffled my hair, clearly at my clueless expression. She sat, and I followed. "I've been there my whole life. Always with the 'cool' kids and what not. I just need a break, from all the cruelty," Amber ended her sentence, and silence filled the air. What could she have possibly meant? Cruelty? I had always thought that the strong picked on the weak, never on each other. I could hear Amber mumbling, if I had not been mistaken, she was nervous. What could be so scandelous that even Amber Liu was nervous to speak about? "They're mean Ruth," she starred at me with sincerity. "It's not how you'd think," she moved her head to stare at her feet. "I just want to be normal. I want normal friends who don't critisize your every move, who judge you by the quality of your instagram posts. I just want something simple, something natrual," Amber finsihed.

I suddenly had noticed a difference, between Krystal and Amber. They were both similar, they were both undeniably lovable. But they both wanted different things, Amber wanted to be loved, by her own conditions. Whilst Krystal wanted to be loved by everyone, regardless of the cost. I nodded, finally understanding something about Amber and Krystals relationship. "That's why I really like you Ruth," I looked up, expecting Amber to had already been finished. "You're normal, in your own unique way, I love that," she smiled at me, and I couldn't help but smile back. That feeling came back to me again, the one that screamed through every fibre in me to both closer. The burning fire in my chest had burned stronger than ever and every instinct in my human being wanted me to move closer. 

But I held myself back, I couldn't, I couldn't possibly... I, was I falling for Amber? "Well, I like you too," I laughed nervously as I reached for my things and stood up, allowing myself to only think of going home. "Well, it's late and I'm way past my curfew. So see you tomorrow!" One nervous chuckle later and I was speeding off, running home. I wasn't frightened of the steep pundge down any longer. I had something worse to fear of, Krystal. I pictured her eyes, burning in the back of my brain, only to be snapped awake my a trip to my foot. I grunted, annoyed at my silliness, as I stood up and dashed home.

"Hey honey, you're home late," The cheerful voice approached me the moment I had shut the door behind me. I mumbled a response to my aunt and dashed upstairs, locking the door behind me. Curses flew back and fourth in my mind as I lowered myself towards the floor in the darkness. I imagined everything, in crystal clear vision as Krystal stepped towards me, hey eyes piercing knives in my throat. The two jocks were behind her, starring at me maliciously. I shut my eyes as their feet pounded towards me, swarming me as they started to mock me, beat me. But the worst part of all, the moment that had set a dagger through my spine, paralysing me, was when Amber stepped fourth and laughed. She didn't laugh like she had used to, with joy and happiness. But, a laughter which mocked me, teased me. I cried as I plummeted into the ground, the world falling through to the abyss with me.

Sweat dripped from my forehead, my eyes were stretched open, and yet not a sound had escaped from me. I crawled into bed, eyes remaining just as wide. I was shocked, so shocked that even in my bed, my eyes barely moved an inch. Another ngihtmare, but a different nightmare. It was an escape from the usual horrors that had haunted me at night, my father burning, my mother dying. But this brought a new fear out into me, an addition to the others that I already had. But I knew the end to my other fears, both my parents had died. This time, the ending was a mystery, a mystery I was too afraid to find out.

I shut my eyes, I couldn't think of Amber tonight.

 

A/N: Well, that was... Unexpected. Just kidding, I hope you enjoyed that. I am so sorry for not uploading yesterday, the work pile keeps getting bigger and bigger. I will do my best to keep my self on track and on schedule from now on. But on a birghter note, I love you guys! I remember when I started this, I thought to myself, "If I have 8 subscribers, that is more than enough for me to carry on till the end," and I do! In fact, I have even more than 8 subscribers which is absolutely everything to me. And you guys are all so sweet, your comments mean so much to me. So, I really just want to thank you guys for reading my rubish of a fan fic. Thank you, really, thank you. I love you all, have a lovely day. xx