The Little Things In Life

You Can't Fall Up

Jessica stared hard at the copy machine.

"How the Hell does this work?" She asked to no one in particular.

She looked at the large stack of papers in her hand and then back at the machine. Sweet mother of God she had no idea what to do.

"Having trouble?" Tiffany was in the doorway all of a sudden.

"No!" Jessica assured her, "Just, ya know, perparing...mentally."

"Right." Tiffany stepped up beside Jessica and began feeding the pieces of paper into the machine.

Soon identicle pieces of paper were coming out in an aray of colors.

"Ok!" Jessica smiled clapping her hands together, "Now what do I do with these copies?"

"Green goes to Taeyeon, who distributes them among the big bosses including me." Tiffany set the green stack in Jessica's hand, "And take the yellow copies to Yuri downstairs, she'll give 'em to the boss down there."

"And the blue ones?" Jessica asked.

"They go through the mail to our regular customers." Tiffany took the stack, "I'll take the blue ones to the mail room, I was just my way down there anyway."

"Thanks so much!" Jessica said, "By the way...loving the new blouse!"

"No problem," Tiffany smiled, "And thanks."

Jessica's first day at work was going well. She had learned all her co-workers names. She knew her way around the building and always had Tiffany for reference. Now if only she could get the copy machine to work.

Jessica weaved her way through the people into Taeyeon's office.

Inside she smirked to find Yuri chatting it up with the older girl.

"Well well well!" Jessica said, "Yuri what're you doing on this floor?"

"Oh uh, I was just paying a visit..." Yuri's eyes fell to the yellow papers, "And I thought I'd grab the papers from you! That way you don't have to walk all the way down stairs!"

"Nice save!" Jessica whispered winking before setting Taeyeon's stack on her desk.

"Thanks Jessica!" Taeyeon said, she then turned her attention back to Yuri where she began listening intently again.

"No problem..." Jessica left and headed to Tiffany's office. She was busy chatting it up on the phone and sorting through files.

"Yeah and if you just call Mr. Lee he'll be able to clear up the account and get you started with your previous balance." She said tucking away every folder neatly, "Have a good weekend...bye."

"Thank God it's Friday!" Jessica said lounging in one of the chairs in front of Tiffany's desk.

"Why'd they even have you start work on a Friday?" Tiffany asked.

"Who knows. Probably to prepare me. I can't just be hired and be expected to work a whole week." Jessica said.

"Alright well you wanna head out?" Tiffany grabbed her bag and beckoned for Jessica to come with her.

.

.

.

When the two girls arrived home they began preparing dinner. Tiffany chopped vegetables while Jessica put on a pan and put some oil in it.

"You want cucumbers?" Tiffany asked

"Never!" Jessica said. Tiffany giggled and put it back into the fridge.

The two girls cooked contently talking about this and that. Tiffany finished chopping the vegetables and put them into the pan. Jessica began stirring while Tiffany prepared the meat.

"Don't leave them still for too long, or else they'll burn." Tiffany reminded her.

"Don't worry!" Jessica nodded, "I've got this I've learned how to cook correctly.

Snowflake wandered around the house. Her pregnant belly was large and she was ready to pop any day now. Jessica cooed at her and offered her a piece of meat.

"That's good meat!" Tiffany whined.

"She's eating for several!" Jessica shot back.

Tiffany sighed. She didn't feel like arguing. Several times she had caught Jessica giving Snowflake some of her good food.

"Don't you have any food at your place?" Tiffany asked.

"Yes, but you know it's mostly things that I don't think will be very good for her."

"Wow, so you're raiding MY fridge?" Tiffany asked.

"Yeah, now hush and watch the vegetables and quit nagging me." Jessica said.

Tiffany sighed. She went back to stirring vegetables.

"Fany-ah!" Jessica shrieked. Tiffany jumped and whirled around. Jessica's shriek was followed by Snowflake's yowling and Mushroom came running in and twirled around Tiffany's legs.

"What's going on?!" Tiffany crouched next to Jessica.

"Snowflake's going into labor!" Jessica shouted.

Tiffany didn't  know what to do so she hopped around excitedly. She was happy and scared. She didn't know what to do. She cradled Snowflake carefully in her arms. She brought her to the couch.

"Ohh my white couch!" Tiffany wailed, but it was too late Snowflake had already popped the first one out and Jessica was already wiping it off with a damp cloth.

Tiffany went to the bathroom and grabbed a towl and managed to get it under Snowflake and her kitten.

Jessica smiled after wiping each one off. As soon as Snowflake was done, Jessica began counting.

"1,2,3,4,5....8!" Jessica said, "Eight kittens!"

Tiffany's eyed widened.

"Really?!" Tiffany counted herself....twice.

There was eight kittens. All a mix of the pure white of Snowball and the black and brown combination of Mushroom.

"Eight kittens!" Tiffany sighed. She fell and placed her head in Jessica's lap. Jessica laughed and layed back on the floor Tiffany's hair. Soon the two girls erupted in a fit of laughter. Jessicasat up and so did Tiffany the two girls collected themselves and looked into eachother's eyes.

They began laughing again.

And then they smelled something.

"What's that stench?" Jessica asked wrinkling her nose.

"Oh God the vegetables!" Tiffany putting her hand over her face.

The two girls jumped up and ran to the kitchen. Sure enough they found the vegetables to just be black pieces shrivled up and dead looking in the pan. The girls groaned. Well there goes that.

So, the two girls threw away the vegetables. They called for take-out and watched the family of cats as they ate. Snowflake was sleeping next to her new kittens and Mushroom was purring and lying next to them. Tiffany had started a fire in the fireplace and all twelve of them were quite enjoying themselves.

Niether girls cared much about the burnt vegetables. They were too busy enjoying the little things in life.