Ursa Minor

Observatory

“Do I have to?” the boy sighed. He really didn’t want to go. “Joonmyun, if you’re going to inheret the Observatory some day, you’ll have to know how it works over there.” Joonmyun didn’t want to inherit the Observatory. It’s not like he didn’t like stars or anything, I mean who doesn’t, it’s just that he didn’t want to be anything like his father. “Just let Jihye have it. She wants it more than I do anyway.” His father paused. He knew it was a sore subject for his but it had to be said. “Joonmyun, your sister is sick.” “It’s in remission, she’s fi..” “ENOUGH!!” Joonmyun flinched. His mother had died when he was five of a genetic respiratory disorder. Unfortunately it was hereditary and after that, Joonmyun and his sister Jihye had been tested for it. His sister hadn’t been as lucky as he was but luckily they had caught it early enough and it was in remission now but his father had taken it the hardest. He sighed. “You’re going. Just try to make the best of it.” Joonmyun nodded.

+++

 

As Joonmyun entered the front lobby, he actually found himself impressed. It was beautiful! As he passed the front desk, he saw a small man with his feet up and his head in a magazine and two guys who looked eerily similar fighting over a game of rock, paper, scissors. He figured they must not have much to do since an Observatory probably isn’t too busy during the daytime. If they knew who he was though, they probably wouldn’t have been as relaxed. The next room was an auditorium full of seats and a stage at one end which is where he heard music coming from. One man was sitting near the radio and the other was dancing and for lack of a better term, he was mesmerizing. His movements matched only his eyes in expressiveness and Joonmyun was in awe. When the music stopped, the man at the radio clapped and the other smiled but when he laid eyes on Joonmyun, his smile fell into a smirk “Hey stranger, we don’t do free shows!” Flustered, Joonmyun bowed, mumbled a brief apology and then ducked into the nearest door. Once inside, he found a flight of stairs. Assuming he was alone, he sighed a breath of relief. He sat at the bottom and tried to calm his nerves.

“Hey!” Joonmyun nearly jumped out of his skin. So much for calming his nerves. He was greeted by a kid about his age with big and inviting eyes crouching a few steps above where he was sitting.

“Hi..” came Joonmyun’s hesitant reply.

“I’m Kyungsoo, but my last name is Do so everybody calls me D.O.”

“My name is…   Suho.” Joonmyun didn’t want anyone to know he was the Boss’ son just yet.

“Well Suho, would you like to see the watchtower?” Well, it couldn’t hurt. He was supposed to look around. D.O. led him up the stairs to a room that looked a bit like the cockpit of an airplane, only bigger.

“Hyung!” the man at the other end of the room turned and smiled brighter than sunshine. Weaker men would’ve wept but Joonmyun just smiled back. “Hey, I’m Jinki.”

“Everyone calls him watchtower hyung though. He practically runs this place.. plus he’s the oldest.” Jinki frowned. “This is Suho. I found him on the stairs!” Joonmyun played with the sleeve of his sweatshirt. “Well Suho, welcome.”

+++

 

Over the next couple of hours, Jinki showed Suho all the things he had been showing D.O. over the past few weeks about how to run the watchtower. The three of them talked and laughed for a long time and then D.O. got a phone call.

“Yeoboseyo?....yea….omo, are you okay?....oh, good. Okay….uh huh, sure….i’ll go right now.” Jinki and Joonmyun looked at each other.

“D.O.ssi, is everything okay?”

“Yea, my mom just got into a minor accident. She’s okay but she needs me to pick up my sister.” He turned to Jinki. “Hyung, is it ok if I go?”

“Of course, take the rest of the day. You should be with your family..  and tell Jisoo I said hi.”

“Ok thanks hyung! And it was nice meeting you Suho hyung!” He waved “and just call me D.O.”

He left and they were now alone. Joonmyun shifted awkwardly.

“So..” Jinki started “how’s your sister?”

“She’s..  wait, what?” uh-oh..

“Jihye, how is she?”

“How do you know my sister? Do you know me?”

Jinki smiled. “I’ve seen your family picture on the boss’ desk once and your sister was a big sunbae at my high school. I remembered she was out sick a lot so…”

Joonmyun sighed and played with the sleeves of his sweatshirt again. “She’s fine.. if you knew, why didn’t you tell him who I was?”

“Why should I? You must have your reasons” Jinki looked worried now. “What about you?”

Joonmyun looked up at him. “huh?”

“How are you?”

“Oh, I’m okay. It’s just…” Joonmyun paused. Jinki waited. “I have to take over the Observatory someday but I don’t want to because I’m afraid of becoming just like my dad and Jihye wants it anyways but he wont give it to her because she has the same disease that my mom had and I think that my dad is afraid she’ll die too even though the doctor said we have nothing to worry about and since she wants it, I don’t want to take it from her so sometimes I just wish I was the one who was sick so that she wouldn’t have to…” He was silenced by a hug from Jinki.

“Stop that.” Joonmyun’s eyes widened and he realized now that he was crying.

“I know that you want to protect your sister but don’t ever wish that you had the disease instead of her. She wouldn’t want that. Neither would I.” Joonmyun buried his head in Jinki’s chest. “You have to be strong for her, your father will come around soon enough.” They stayed like that for a while and when they finally parted, Joonmyun wiped his face. “Thanks hyung.”Jinki smiled.

Joonmyun also smiled because no matter how much he protested this morning, he did not regret his visit to the Observatory. He had made good friends and because of them, he knew he’d definitely be back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


A/N: Sorry this chapter was a bit late. I hadn't finished it yet. :( But now that it's up, I do hope you enjoy it. Please leave me lovely words and I'll see you in the next update! :))