There's a little good in everything

A Lifetime Of Silence

Tao stared at Kris with wide eyes, time seemed to stop for him. His siblings gave a shocked looks to the man and the entire room was filled with a heavy silence.

“I-I,” Was all Tao was able to stutter. Kris’s face was frozen with an expression that resembled that of anger, as well as confusion. When tall man finally came back to his senses, he undoes the sweater he wore and placed it on the young girl’s shoulder, leaving him in a black wife-beater. The clothing was big on the three year old, so big that the hem of the sweater touched the floor.

‘You still need to answer my question,’ Kris signs. Tao reached down to lift up his sister with shaky hands. He then looked back to Kris. It was obvious that the elder was angry, and Tao did not know what to do or say. He was scared to tell him the truth, he didn’t want to leave here, it was the only place that they could call home, but he also didn’t want to lie.

“I-I’m sorry,” Tao said with his head down. He couldn’t say anything else. He felt guilty, and scared at the same time. Kris was starting to become impatient with the lack of response. He crosses his arms, with this movement. He sees the other boy beside Tao, move behind the Chinese boy.

‘Just answer my question,’ Kris signed impatiently.

“They’re my brother and sister,” Tao said quietly. Tao didn’t know how to explain his situation to Kris. Luckily Sehun had once again come to Tao’s rescue. He clasped a hand on the younger’s shoulder; trying to give him reassurance, but Tao felt none.

Kris walked up to Tao his eyebrows knitted tightly together, ‘Why are there kids in my house? How did they get here, why are they here?’ Tao; again, was at a loss of words. Kris was beginning to get fed up with Tao’s silence, so he grabbed the other by the shoulder and shook him as though he would split up the words with his actions.

“Hyung stop!” Sehun said in a stern tone, he placed a hand on his brother. Sehun turned the elder to look at him, “I’m the reason why they are here.” Kris shrugged off the younger’s hand and turned his attention back to Tao.

‘You have one week to get out of my house,’ with that he walked out of the kitchen to his room.

A look of hurt was all that was seen on Tao’s face as he zoned out completely. Nothing wanted to go his way since the death of his mother. He tried to hold the cry from his voice as he told Zongxian to take Minyi back to the room, and hesitantly the young did. Tao stood there in the kitchen shocked at what he was just told. It didn’t take Sehun long to understand that Kris had said something bad or hurtful. It was the look of pure disbelief that was plastered onto the Chinese boy’s face

“Tao, what did hyung say?” Sehun asked, but Tao was not paying attention. His mind was filled with thoughts such as how was he supposed to find a job, would anyone hire him? Where were would all three of them supposed to stay? How was he supposed to pay for his younger sibling’s education, or the bills he still had to pay for the burned home? Thinking of all of this made tears come to Tao’s baggy eyes. He was just so lost on what he should do. He was only nineteen, and hasn’t even graduated high school yet. What is he supposed to do? He couldn’t hold back his salty tears no more.

Sehun became worried at the site of Tao shedding tears in silence. He approached the boy who had crouched to the ground. He places a pale hand onto Tao’s shoulder; his thumb rubbing circles on the latter’s shoulders in an effort to give comfort. Sehun didn’t say anything, and just let the younger boy cry. He could tell that the other needed this catharsis like moment.

 

After crying his eyes out like a baby two days ago, Tao finally told Sehun what Kris had said that time, one night when everyone was asleep, and sehun had just returned from work. The blonde had said that he would try to talk to his brother, but Tao knew that Kris would not listen. Tao still thanked the latter, he knew the elder was just trying to help; he had then headed back to his room. He looked into the room and saw his brother and sister sleeping together, the tall boy loitered around the room, restless. He couldn't even think of sleeping there was too much going on in his head. He thought long and hard about jobs that were available to him. There wasn’t much, he could probably work at a karaoke bar, or a PC room, but the pay was too low.

Then all of a sudden a thought came to Tao’s mind; a bad one. But he still added it to the list he was currently writing at the desk.

“No, no. What would people think of me if I did something like that?” Tao whispered to himself as he stood, and once again began to pace around the room. The soft words he spoke to himself had stirred Zongxian from his light slumber.

“Ge, what are you doing?” He asked in his sleepy voice, Tao looked at his little brother, and shook his head with a faint smile.

“Nothing, go back to sleep.” Zongxian nodded, and lay back down only to sit up again.

“Ge, Minyi feels hot,” The younger boy exclaimed. Tao walked over to his sister, and placed a hand on her forehead. Her skin was hot and muggy to the touch, and beads of sweat were freckled on her forehead. A wave of worry came over Tao, he could not afford medicine, and he was pretty sure that the household didn’t own any children’s medicine. Tao sighed as he placed a hand on Minyi’s forehead once again; luckily the small girl’s fever wasn’t too hot.

“I’ll go out and buy some medicine, try to keep her cool, okay?” Tao asked his brother as he grabbed his light jacket. He rubbed his eyes to make sure that they tears were gone , but it was obvious that he Chinese boy had cried, his eyes were swollen and even more baggy due to lack of sleep and his long weeping session.

“But Ge,” Zongxian started giving his elder brother a look.

“It’s fine, I have some cash, it shouldn’t be too expensive, right?” He said with a sad smile on his face, and then walked out the door.



 

                                                    _       _        _        _

 

Kris felt something uncomfortably hot at the foot of his bed. Kris was a man that he needed his sleep, or he would probably try to kill everyone, so he was rather annoyed at this change in temperature; what? He’s sensitive! He moved his long legs, and tried to push, but stopped when he felt whatever it move. The tall man sat up quickly and pulled the covers back, revealing his sweater that he gave to the little girl. He poked the warmth with a long slender finger, a small whimper was heard. Kris furrowed his eyebrows. Who is this? He crawled to the foot of the bed and kneeled on the floor.

The fashion designer was surprised to see that it was the little girl, Tao’s sister. He noticed that she was still wearing his sweater from last night. He placed his giant hand onto her shoulder to shake her awake, but he hesitated when he saw her face was pale as the bed sheets she laid upon, and sweat glistened on her face. Kris placed his head on her forehead, and felt the heat emanating from her skin. He gently tried to wake her, but she only pushed his hand away. Worry came over the cold man, she was too hot, and he couldn’t get her to awake. He got up to run to Tao, but instead when to Sehun’s room. He checked his watch it read 5 A.M Sehun left for work at 5:30. He still could catch him.

 

He knocked twice at his brother's door, but got no answer, so he opened the door. He walked to his brother’s room, and went straight to the messy bed. He pulled the covers only to see an empty bed, that’s when he heard the water running in the bathroom. Without hesitation the tall male walked to the bathroom and swung the door open, the younger of the two let out a yelp, and tried to reach for the towel across from the glass shower. As a result of stretching too far he landed face first to the linoleum floor, a string of cuss words came from his lips.

“What the hell Hyung? You can’t just walk in when I’m taking a shower!” Sehun yelled as he grabbed the towel and wrapped it round his waist, “What do you want?” he asked as he stood up. Kris grabbed his younger brother's arm and dragged him across the room,” Yah Hyung stop! I’m no-” He was stopped mid way when he saw Kris pointing the lump on his bed, he saw his brother pull the covers back showing Minyi.

 

“What’s wrong?” Sehun asked in a wary tone. His brother once again s an arm around his own and pulled him to the child. That’s when the blonde noticed how pale and sweaty Minyi was.

“How long has she been like this?” Sehun questioned as he took the girl’s pulse. He was relieved to find it rather normal for a sleeping person. A piece of paper was brought into Sehun’s vision, written on it was Kris explaining how he found Minyi, “Hyung go and get Tao.” Kris nodded and walked downstairs to get the other.

He rapped twice, and no answer, he then knocked furiously till the door finally opened. But instead of Tao it was Zongxian looking sleepy.

‘Where is your brother?’ He signed quickly, but Zongxian gave a confused look. The taller made the gestures over and over again until the younger finally spoke.

“Are you wondering where Tao Ge is?” Kris nodded his head.

“He hasn’t returned from last night. Minyi was sick so he went out to get medicine…” He said, he looked back into the room, “Wait, where is Minyi?" Kris explained to him in sign language, but it was obvious that the boy didn’t understand much.

Kris signaled for the younger male to follow him upstair. He lead him to his room where his sister laid, breathing heavily. Sehun looked up from Minyi to the other two who had entered the dark room.

“She seems to have the flu,” Sehun said casually, “ Her fever is starting to go down, so that is good. She may start vomiting though, so keep a trash can or something,” Sehun said as he stood up, holding the Tao around his waist, “ Where’s Tao?”

“Ge went to go get Medicine for her last night. He’s not home yet,” Zongxian explained.  Sehun Furrowed his eyebrows.

“He was gone all night?” Zongxian nodded. Sehun’s face contorted into a look of worry. No one would be out for so long just to get medicine.

‘Will she be alright? The piece of paper that sehun had read, that his brother had written to him. Sehun nodded.

“Yeah she should be fine. She just needs some rest,” Sehun said with a knowing smile, “ Why do you want to know? Hyung, are you worried?” He asked with an amuse tone in his voice. Kris glared at him, then turned to write something down once again.

‘Of course not, can we move her?’ Sehun nodded once again. Kris pointed a long slender finger to his brother. Telling him to move the girl.

“What, me?” Kris moved his head up and down, “ All I am wearing is a towel around my waist.”

Kris punched his younger brother's arm. With a lot of groans and mumbles, Sehun reluctantly slipped a hand under Minyi’s back, and used the other to support her lower half. The young girl moaned a little with the movement. She stirred a lot more after Sehun lifted her into the air. She started to fuss, and began to cry. He eyes opened and tears were seen in her eyes.

“Minyi it’s okay,” Sehun cooed softly trying to calm the child. She looked around while still crying, and when her eyes landed on Kris she began to throw her arms towards him, crying harder than before, “ Hyung she wants you.”

Kris pointed towards Zongxian. Sehun tried to give the girl to her brother, but she once again reached for Kris sobbing.

After letting the girl cry for a bit, Kris slowly reached his arms out to the girl. Her sobbing subsided a little as she was pulled into the tall man’s embrace. A look of disdain was set to Kris’s face. He walked out the door and down the stairs. Sehun was on his way back to his shower that was so rudely interrupted earlier. Right when Kris and Sehun were going to part ways; one going to his room, and the other headed downstairs, a knock was heard.

The brothers look to each other. Kris jerked his head to the direction of the front door. Sehun’s eyes widened.

“You, w-want me to the answer the door? In a towel?” Sehun hissed under his breathe. All Kris did was motion to the child in his arms. Sehun groaned in frustration, and took the lead downstairs. His white towel tight around his hips. Kris walked into Tao’s room, Minyi’s hand wrapped tightly around his neck. Her whimpers were loud in the quiet room. The elder went to put the child down, however  the child’s grip show no signs of letting ago. She whined into the crook of Kris’s neck.

Kris’s eyes softened when he heard the small girl call out “Papa.” Unconsciously, he brought a hand up to her back, and patted it gently. She snuggled her body closer to Kris, a smile was taught on her lips.

A series of foot steps, a surprised gasp, and string of apologies were heard. In the doorway appeared a disheveled Tao.

“I’m sorry Zongxian, I feel asleep on the bus, it took me all the-” Tao was caught mid sentence, and was in awe of the sight before him. Was Kris actually holding his sister, a hand patting her back… In a comforting way?

Kris walked over to Tao, and handed him his sister. The child reluctantly went back to you brother. Kris walked past the younger, he stopped, and turned around. Tao turned to face him as well.

‘I’ll give you until the end of the year to get yourself back on your feet. You will have to do your job. you will also be paid full,’ Kris signed calmly. Tao was at a lost for words, he was confused, how did the cold man change his mind so fast. The young boy continuously bowed his thanks to Kris over and over again, until Kris began to walk upstairs.

“I’m ing ,” Sehun yelled running up the stairs, his towel only covering his front side. Leaving his bottom open, mooning Kris, and Zongxian; who was now coming down the stairs where he watched the scene from before.




 

A/N: Omg I am so sorry that this came out so late! I really had no excuse, I just had a serious case of writer’s block! But boy was this week one of the worst! Missed a whole week of school due to illness. I couldn’t even get out of bed, talk, breathe, or hear!

Well I hope you enjoyed this chapter~ I hope it is long enough for you all! I’ll try to update more.

This chapter is completely un beta’d’ I haven’t even read over it yet…..so sorry for all the typos. Its five in the morning and I am ready for bed! Don’t forget to comment, subscribe, and upvote. This motivate me to keep on writing!

- Kimchiitazztic