Strange Beginnings

A Lifetime Of Silence

A lazy hand reached out from under the blue covers, slamming against the buzzing alarm clock that read  5:30 A.M. The blankets were thrown off revealing a teenage boy with ivory skin and dirty blonde hair. His almond shaped eyes were looking up towards the ceiling in a daze. A soft sigh was heard from the boy’s slightly chapped lips. He ran his fingers through his hair, his eyes widening when he realized that his hair was not the usual black. He sat up and ruffled his hair as he freaked out, but he relaxed when he finally remembered the events that had taken place yesterday. He regretted deciding to dye his hair to get rid of the huge patch of gray hair he had found. He had read the korean wrong on the hair color boxes, and chose bleach instead black hair dye.

 

 The young boy got off his bed, careful not to wake up his baby sister and little brother who were wrapped around his body. Once Tao got out, he walked to the room next to his where his sick mother rested.  He cracked open her door slightly to peek in. He saw the frail form of his mother lying in the bed, soon her body was up in a sitting position.

'Good morning mom,’ Tao signed. His mother gave him a weak smile.

 

‘Go back to sleep, I'll make breakfast and bring you some before I go to school.’ His mother nodded her head and laid back in bed. Tao pulled the covers over his mom, then walked out of the room to the kitchen.

 

His house was not big it was one story with only two bedrooms and a bathroom. The rent was cheap, and their neighbors were all poor college students. Their home was not of good quality for a family of four; doors creaked, and the house was slowly falling apart.

 

Once he was in the kitchen, he brought out the rice cooker, started it then walked to the bathroom to shower. When the eighteen year old boy was done washing up and changing into his school uniform he started preparing breakfast. He fried three eggs and spam, and threw these ingredient into the rice and served it. Tao was standing at the stove when his baby sister Minyi came running out of the bedroom, and pulled at Tao’s pants.

 

‘Gege, I need to pee,’ She whimpered as she crossed her legs. Tao smiled at the small child.

“Alright let’s go,” He said while moving his hands at the same time, he turned the stove off, then lead Minyi to the restroom. When the two came out they were greeted by their thirteen year old brother, Zongxian.

“Morning!” Tao said in Korean.

“Ge, please just us-” Zongxian began in Chinese, but was cut off by his brother.

“No, your Korean is bad! In your reports teachers complain on how you are not improving in Korean after living here for almost six months!” Tao said in a stern voice, “ Minyi speaks better Korean than you do!”

 

“ Because she is Korean!” Zongxian yelled. Tao covered Minyi’s ears. The four year old did not know that she was adopted by their mother, she was raised in china, she spoke Chinese and  Korean , because it was a request from her biological mother to Tao’s mother that she would speak her mother tongue,” Why are you covering her ears, she can’t hear you!” Zongxian said angrily.

“Zongxian… Go get ready for school,” Tao ordered as he clenched his teeth trying to hold back his anger. He knew his brother was just being rash. It’s true that Minyi was born death in one ear, and her hearing was getting worse. That is why they are trying to teach her sign language as soon as possible. Tao shook his head in disappointment  at his brother’s actions.

 

The sound of a fist knocking on the door was heard throughout the house, Tao walked to the door. He opened it revealing the nurse that was paid to come and take care of his mother for  the weekdays. Tao smiled at her, she was a kind lady in her mid thirties. He greeted her, but only a small smile appeared. She fidgeted and played with her hands, like she was trying to say some bad news.

 

“Tao-ssi,” She said softly, “I haven’t been paid my last two checks,” She said cautiously. Tao just stared at her, his mouth agape. He knew his mother was behind on bills after she had to stop working due to her illness, but not this far behind.

“I-I’m sorry, I should be getting my salary soon so I’ll pay you then, I promise!” Tao said. He looked at his watch he saw Zongxian leave for school, now all he had to do was take Minyi to the daycare and then go to school. He said farewell to the nurse then strapped Minyi into the child bike carrier at the back of his bike, and headed off to start his day.


 

                    ಥ_ಥ        ಥ_ಥ        ಥ_ಥ       ಥ_ಥ

    

Once at School Tao went into his ‘loner ‘ mood.  He had a few people whom he talked to, but usually he was known as the ice cold boy who was supposedly a gangster. Everyone seemed to judge Tao by his cover, yeah the boy looked scary and intimidating;  a lot of people would be surprised to know that Tao had an obsession with pandas and Gucci products. The tall boy sat at his desk, and laid his head down, resting it on his arms.

“Here goes another day,” He mumbled to himself.  Tao was glad he got the window seat for the rest of the year,  it was something to distract him from his stressful life. He heard the scrape of a chair, he knew it was his table mate Min Yoongi; he was a boy from Daegu who transferred to the school after Tao.

“ Morning,” Yoongi greeted.

“Good morning,” Tao responded formally.

“Yah, you don’t need to use formal language with me. We are the same age, so we are basically friends,” Yoongi explain. Tao really didn't understand the whole formal and informal language thing.

“How are we friends we don’t really talk to each other.”

 

“Ah… um That’s true,” The short boy sounded dejected, “ Well in Korea, people born in the same year are usually called friends,” Yoongi explained sadly in his
Daegu accent.

The boy seemed hurt that Tao did not considered them friends. Tao took note of it, but didn’t say anything he  instead just smiled. And Yoongi returned it with a small smile of his own; the hurt still clear in his eyes. Tao had only been going to this school for almost  six months and his last year of high school was almost over. But during that time Tao did not manage to make one friend.

“Hey uh, Tao-yah.” Tao looked from the teacher to Yoongi , “Your hair, um…”

“Yeah it’s bleached. I didn't mean to do it,” Tao said softly as he took down notes. Yoongi nodded his head in understanding. At the end of class the teacher told Tao to meet him during lunch. Tao let out a frustrated sigh, he knew his teacher was going to scold him for his coloured hair.

 

At the bell that signaled that lunch was about to start, Tao stood up slowly from his seat and took his time walking to the teachers’ room. On the way there he bumped into Yongi who was chatting with a couple of their classmates. The brunette gave his table mate a ‘hwaiting’. Tao smiled back, he found the short boy to be charming, if Tao was used to socializing maybe he would have been friends with Yoongi. Just maybe.  He slid open the door to the teachers’ rooms and saw his homeroom teacher waving him over.

“Tao,” His teacher started out, as they looked through a binder, “What is going on with your hair? Are you trying to be a rebel or something.” Tao just stood there not saying anything, but cursing his hair in his mind for making him look more like the gangster that everyone thought he was.

“I didn't do it on purpose,” Tao mumbled.

“What was that?”

“I said that I didn't do it on purpose.” His homeroom teacher burst out into a fit of laughter. Tao’s face  redden in embarrassment. Tao bowed to the teacher and dismissed himself.



 

                    ಥ_ಥ       ಥ_ಥ        ಥ_ಥ        ಥ_ಥ

 

After school was over Tao unlocked his bike and rode off to his part time job at the bakery in the city.  He got off his bike when he reached the crowds of business men and women. They hurried off to take care of the errands they were assigned to do. As he was walking on the sidewalk, something crashed into Tao pushing him over onto his bike, scrapping his hand and knee.

 

“Yah watch where you are go-” Tao stopped mid sentence when he realized that the person who ran into him was actually really good looking. They stared at each other’s face, Tao was frozen in place at the man’s un human beauty. His eyes were beautiful and he had blonde hair, and it looked soft. He saw the blonde hair guy stand up to his full height, and Tao was amazed at his size. Tao felt his heart beat faster, and his cheeks grow hot.

 

“So why were you at the club last night with my fiance??” Another man yelled.

 The blonde beauty turned around and faced the other person. He was shorter compared to the blonde and more round. Tao looked back to the handsome man, and saw that he wasn't saying anything, but had an annoyed look on his face, like this wasn't the first time that this had happened.

 

“So you’re not going to say anything? Are you admitting that all you are is just a rich playboy?” The fat man yelled as he grabbed the taller guy by his collar. This time instead of doing nothing, the man did a flourish of movements with his hands. Tao recognized it as sign language. Tao jumped and ran to the two males. The fat man was about to punch the other. Tao jumped in just in time to stop him from punching the god-like human.

 

“H-He can’t hear you or talk!” Tao yelled out as he shielded the blonde man. The fat man scowled at Tao.

“What do you know? Are you one of his playthings too?” He spat. Tao got angry at being accused of fooling around with this man, he grabbed the fat man’s arm and twisted it hard behind his back.

“He’s trying to talk to you in sign language, I don’t think a stupid man like you would understand!”

“Why are you getting into this gay boy, did you fall for him?” The fatter man lashed. Tao made him go on his knees and sit down. People was beginning to crowd around the three males.

“I never met this man in my entire life! Will you just sit here so I can translate for you!” Tao ordered. Surprisingly the fat man complied.


 

‘Go on say what you want, I'll make sure he understands,’ Tao signed to the other.  

‘Tell him to go himself because his fiancée finds him gross as !’  Tao’s eyes widened at what the handsome man had signed.

‘Not going to say that, just explain to me why you were with his fiancée.’

“What’s he saying, he’s saying insulting things right,” The fat man hollered from where he kneeled. He made a move to stand but Tao made him kneel once again.

“Just wait!” Tao looked back at the blonde haired guy.

‘I honestly don’t know who his fiancée is, there were so many girls with me last night.’ Tao closed his eyes in annoyance. So this guy is just a playboy after all. Tao thought to himself

“Where did you see your wife with this man,” Tao said in his quiet voice. The fat man was hesitant to answer Tao’s question.

‘He’s just trying to make me get a scandal. It happens a lot’ Tao looked at the blonde haired man again in confusion.

‘Why would he try to make you have a scandal? Are saying that you're like someone famous? The blonde haired man stared at him dumbly. Tao ignored the look and looked back to the fat man on the ground.

“So what’s you-” Before Tao could even finish his question the fat man punched Tao in the stomach, pushed him to the ground, and ran away.

 

A hand reached out in front of Tao. Tao whimpered in pain as he looked up to the handsome man.

“This is all your fault!” Tao said to himself. The handsome man pouted.

‘I’m sorry it is all my fault’ Tao looked confused, can he hear me?

“You’re going to have to pay for my bike,” He said testing if the man could hear.

‘I’ll buy you a car instead,’ The other guy signed.

“So...You’re not deaf?” Tao asked, and the handsome man nodded, “ Who are you?” Tao finally asked. The other guy  handed Tao a card, he read it. Tao’s eyes widened as he read it.

“Y-You're, Kris-” Tao wasn't able to finish because he was greeted by black dots then darkness.

 

 

 

2/27/14: changed name of friend, because it was not supposed to be Kyungsoo, he has a different role in story. It was supposed to be Suga from BTS ( they are same year)                  

So glad to finaly finish the first chapter! I hope you guys like it!. I am never good with first chapters~~ I will hopefully post secondchapter before my break is over! this is over 2k words. I hope every chapter will be this much or more! Tell me what you think of it so far and maybe upvote or subscribe??

also I need a graphic for this! But idk how to do the shops T.T 

Twitter

Tumblr

Art tumblr