Chapter 8: friendship

precious

Heya!!

I know I'm updating the story after months and I am really sorry about that. I realised that I'm a sloppy writer and I procrastinate so much, that things get delayed. I do plan to continue the story, but I think I'll update it slowly. I'd really like to thank anyone who has read the story and has been patient with me. 

Also, the progress a bit in this chapter and someone turns up in the end. I guess I gave it away, but guess who... Anyway, Happy reading!


 

After the night of the initiation ceremony, it so happened that the Alpha and the small Omega would converse every night. Sitting in the veranda or taking a stroll around the beautiful garden area surrounding the house in the wee hours of the night, the two had struck up a friendship. The others had noticed that chanyeol had begun to warm up to the pack's newest addition, but to what extent, no one knew.

Both found time to talk only at night, as Chanyeol would be away in the city with Kris or Xiumin, attending to matters of the company and Baekhyun would be busy studying.They had discovered that Baekhyun had actually never been to a real school. The pack he had been brought up in, had been so traditional and rigid that they did not allow their pups to go to the city and attend schools and colleges. Alphas were still given some relaxation and allowed to venture out, since money was essential for the survival of the pack, but the omegas and the smaller pups were taught everything by one of the elder wolves and were given certificates because their education came under home schooling and the pack had managed to somehow convince the eduction board to let the pups stay within the pack's territory. Studying thus, Baekhyun had succeeded in passing all grades, but the glitch laid in the fact that there was no proof of it. All his passing certificates had been left behind in his old home, as he had run away from there with only the clothes on his back.Tthe only sollution for the boy to move forward, had been to give certain exams on the basis of which he was to get a new certificate of having finished schooling. Somehow his current pack's members had managed to pull some strings to get things done and once he passed the tests, he would be eligible to get a proper college education. For this, the boy had been slogging all the time in preparation for his exams and it pleased everyone that Baekhyun turned out to be an extremely sharp student, with the ability to grasp things very quickly and retain it well. 

And so, often, their conversation revolved around their activities throughout the day. It had started out slow, with meek questions and awkwards silences, but within a few days, conversation flowed freely between the two. Soon enough, the pup was narrating all that he had learnt and what prank Sehun or Jongdae had played on him that day, while Chanyeol told him about his day at the office, the meetings he had held, and how even his new secretary was turning out to be a little painful. Baekhyun would then tsk at his impatience and then ask him to give him some time, which was strange because the pup himself was a new addition in his life.

It wasn't as though their friendship was a secret because even when everyone was gathered around the living room, watching a movie on the huge TV, Chanyeol would more often than not, end up sitting next to Baekhyun. In the mornings, when everyone was up and about, busy geting dressed or stuffing some breakfast into their mouths, Baekhyun would usually keep the fruit loops that the Alpha liked to eat so much. And after friday dinner, which was usually a little grand compared to the rest of the days of the week, Chanyeol would always get the chocochip mint ice cream that made the pup feel as if he was in heaven.

The other person that Baekhyun was friendly with, was Yifan. The tall beta was usually the other person who sat next to him during the movies. He often made attempts to make Baekyun laugh and whenever he was with the omega, he made it his point to entertain the small wolf. But even then, Baekhyun somehow never had those flowing conversations with him. With Yifan, Baekhyun was usually the one listening or laughing. He himself, didn't feel much of an urge to talk so much. But nevertheless, it was always fun talking to the beta.

 

 

It was on a friday night, that Chanyeol told the omega that he wanted to show him something. Baekhyun asked him as to what it was, but the Alpha just refused to divulge any information. Giving him a side smirk and running his fingers through his hair, the taller male told him to just to wai for it. . Eyeing the older man suspiciously, Baekhyun agreed and the plan was set for early the next morning, when dawn would set.

Baekhyun woke up to the sound of chirping birds, that was his alarm tone. Minseok had gotton him a new phone, his first one ever and Baekhyun had actually jumped with joy. Unlike the television set, Baekhyun had actually seen a phone before but never had the opportunity to use one, leave alone own one. A few important members from his previous pack had owned mobile phones, and Baekhyun, along with Tao and Jongin, would just gaze from afar, at the wondrous device that was out of their reach. He was taught the basics of using a phone and after that, he had stayed up all night long, trying to learn as much as he could about the instrument. And now, after a few weeks, he knew all the nitty gritties of the device.

It was still dark outside, and with groggy eyes, he went about his morning routine quietly. When he had finished dressing, he walked out of his room, and towards the living room. Chanyeol was to meet him there, and then they would proceed.

As he reached the space, he noticed the tall figure of the alpha standing near the door, dressed in simple and comfortable clothes, holding two cloth bags in his hands. when he felt the presence of the omega approaching him, he looked up and gave him a warm smile.

"You're on time. We'll need to transform into wolves, so we can keep our clothes in them and change when we turn back into human forms, okay?"As he heard the Alpha speak, he realised a little too slowly, what the man was saying. 

"Do we really have to? can't we just walk?" he asked, a little uncomfortable with proposition.

"it's a little away from the house, walking will take too long. Besides, the wind will feel great while we run."

Baekhyun shifted unsurely. He didn't want to let the alpha know. 

"Baek, it everything okay? is something wrong?" The alpha asked, eyebrows meeting together in a frown.

He had known that this was something that couldn't be hidden forever, but had hoped that it could be stalled. He just hadn't expected this to happen all of a sudden and now, he was in a fix. Deciding that telling Chanyeol the truth was the right thing to do, he cleared his throat and looked at the ground. And then, in a soft voice, he let out his secret.

"I don't know how to shift into my wolf form." There. That made him look absolutely pathetic, in front of a strong alpha such as Chanyeol. But it was the truth and it had to come out sooner or later.

But Chanyeol didn't say anything. He donned an expression of confusion and suspicion, as though Baekhyun was pranking him.

" I don't understand what you're saying.. " the alpha said unsurely.

The omega sighed and looked up at him and repeated himself. " I cannot change into my wolf form. At least not willingly."

It took a moment for the information to finally sink in, before the alpha suddenly seemed to remember something.

" But Jongdae and sehun found you by the river in your wolf form. Your wolf is the rare white wolf of the north. At least that's what I've been told."

Baekhyun could understand the alpha's confusion. It was indeed pretty strange and it would take a moment to explain everything to Chanyeol. 

Wanting to explain everything to the alpha outside, he asked him if they could go out into the garden. Chanyeol seemed to have no problem with his request and soon the two found themselves walking around the walkway.

" You see, I am actually supposed to be a white omega wolf and like wolves everywhere, I was taught to transform into a wolf too. But somehow, it never worked. No matter how hard I tried, my body simply refused to take another form. The most I could tranform into was have wolf ears at the top of my head and a white tail.  We tried everything, but all failed." He paused to check if the alpha was with him. Seeing the man listening to him in rapt attention, he continued.

" That day when Sehun and Jongdae found me, I was umm... Trying to find a new home. I had fallen asleep by a cave a day before that, and when I woke up, I was not in my human form. It wasn't just the white tail and ears, but the entire body of a wolf. I stayed that way for a day before the two found me. Since then, I've been trying to change once more, but it just won't happen  I'm sorry, I'm not a very worthy member of your pack and I should've informed you earlier."  Ending his rant in an apology,  he stopped to wait for the alpha's reaction.

Chanyeol, who had been listening to everything Baekhyun had been telling him, couldn't say that he had understood everything that had been said, but he knew that this was something the omega needed help with. Turning to baekhyun, he gently took his hand in his own and held it gently, trying to confort the small male.

" It's quite alright if you can't change now baekhyun. It's not something very common, and i'm not sure if I fully understand everything, but I know that you don't have to be ashamed of it.Over time, you'll surely be able to do that. It's really nothig to worry about though." 

The gentle smile on chanyeol face washed away any negative feelings for a while, but then he remembered that they probably weren't going to be able to go and see what the alpha had been planning to show him.

" But chanyeol, what about what you wanted to show me? We can't go there now." Remorsefully he looked in the direction of the forest.

Chanyeol followed his gaze and thought for a moment before squeezing the hand he had forgotten he was still holding.

"There is something we could do. If you agree, of course. "

Puzzled, Baekhyun raised an eyebrow at the taller male.

" You could, you know, ride me maybe?"

As soon as the words were out, Bhanyeol's ears turned pink. He had definitely not meant for it to sound like that  Baekhyun was blushing too. Eyes wide with shock.

Fumbling with words, the alpha finally managaed to convey to him, that he could turn into his wolf form and baekhyun could sit on his back, as he took them to where he had planned.

Still blushing a little, Baekhyun looked uncertainly at him. 

" Are you sure? I mean, that's a lot of effort. I'm not that light." 

Chanyeol laughed at the doubt and reassuringly told him that it was alright. His, was a very large wolf and would be able to carry someone as small as the omega.

"So, ready to go?"

Baekhyun nodded slightly, even though he was a little skeptic about the idea. It didn't seem that great to him. What if he fell off?

Grinning at the hesitating male, Chanyeol moved to hand him one of the cloth bags. Peering inside it, Baekhyun saw a pair of khakhi shorts and a simple blue t shirt.

It was as he had been looking inside the bag, that Chanyeol had set about the business of changing. Looking up from the bag, Baekhyun glanced around, looking for the alpha who had just dissappeared.

And then, from behind the big tree, a wolf stepped out, and Baekhyun gasped. For the wolf was magnificent. It was nearly 3 feet in height, with a huge head. The fur was a complete black, just like the colour of his hair, the tail thick and long. The wolf radiated an aura of strength and power and Baekhyun stared ustared unblinking as he walked towards him.

When he was at an arm's distance from him, Baekhyun took a step forward and went down on his knees. The wolf was now at his eye level. 

Reaching out, he gently placed his hand on the head and patted the fur a bit. It was soft and smooth and he wanted to the hair over and over. But thinking that the alpha wouldn't like it, he got to his feet and requested for permission.

" Should I get on now?" 

The wolf nodded and waited for him to climb on top of him. Baekhyun hesitated as he placed one leg on either side of the wolf's back. Securing the bag's strap across his chest, he bent forward and wrapped both hands across the neck. 

"Let's go."  And with that, the alpha began to walk a little faster, then moved to a slight jogging, before finally increasing the speed.

Although the wolf enjoyed the wind sweeping over his face and against the rest of his body, Baekhyun couldn't say the same for himself. The ride was plain uncomfortable, with his body jostling so much, that he was afraid that he was going to fall down at any moment. He was also afraid of opening his eyes because he didn't want to know if there were any chances of them crashing into a tree or something.

After roughly 15 minutes, Baekhyun felt Chnayeol coming to a gradual halt and opened his eyes to look around. The place was nothing spectacular. They were still somewhere deep within the forest, but the trees seemed to larger and more leafy in this part of the forest. There were also several strange flowers and shrubs that Baekhyun had never seen.

Getting off the wolf's back, he wobbled on his feet for a second, before straightening himself. Chanyeol tugged at the bag he had and he handed it over to him. The wolf then dissappeared behind some trees, only to reappear as a fully clothed Chanyeol.

" There's something right behind the quaking aspen trees. Come." Chanyeol said as he led the way.

And sure enough, behind the huge trees, was a small lake, the water of which was a clear blue and the sunlight softly sifting sifting through the leaves of the tall trees, fell upon the water, making it sparkle. On the right side of the lake, grew a cluster of one of the most beautiful white flowers baekhyun had ever seen. Maybe this was what Luhan had told gim about. The view was simply breathtaking and the they stood rooted to their spot for a while.

After a few moments, Chanyeol led him forward, until the two reached the flowers. The grass around them was a little overgrown, but seemed comfortable enough, so the two sat down.

" They're called anemones. Luhan told me that he had promised to take you to see them once you got better. I thought I could make better of the promise. You did want to see this, right?" Tilting his head, he looked at baekhyun.

Nodding his head, Baekhyun told him about how pretty he thought the flowers were. He didn't tell him though, that he was touched by the thoughtfulness. The flowers and the forest made him nostalgic, as he remembered his time as a kid, running about with Tao.

They spoke about the forest and the lake and how beautiful it looked and how nice it would feel to take a dip into it. But the two became silent after a while. Just staring at the calm water brough about a sense of peace in both of them and the silence felt comfortable.

They probably lost track of time sitting there.  And it was after some time, that they felt the harsh rays of the sun beginning to irritate their skin. In all honesty, Baekhyun wanted to stay there for a while longer. But the others would be waiting and Chanyeol probably had work. They had already spent the entire morning on their little excursion.

The two got up and began preparing for the ride home. Chanyeol changed out his clothes and baekhyun climbed onto his back again and the two set off towards home.

But this time, there was some sort of warmth spreading accross baekhyun's stomach. He didn't know if chanyeol had the habit of taking people out on surprise visits to places, but he felt special and it made him giddy with warmth. Pressing his cheek against the fur, Baekhyun smiled softly.

Chanyeol too, was feeling quite happy. He had genuinely wanted to show baekhyun the place, because the boy had spent all his time inside the house or in the garden. He had not been beyond that, and after listening to luhan tell him about how excited he had been at the prospect of seeing mere flowers, he had been amused and had decided to take baekhyun there himself. Not to mention that in the process he felt as though he had formed a camaraderie with the other. A sort of bond. And he hadn't felt more peaceful in a long while. 

It took them the same amount of time as it had while going to the lake and as baekhyun dismounted from chanyeol, the alpha again went behind a tree to change and then the two walked to the front door.

It was as though everybody had been expecting them, because the moment the door opened, they were pulled inside. The pack members were at their noisiest best and amidst all that, it took a while before everyone settled down.

" Chanyeol, guess who turned up at the door today morning." Excitement high in his voice, Jongdae pointed towards the kitchen. As the confused alpha and omega looked towards the direcrtion, Luhan walked into the room with someone next to him. Someone baekhyun had never seen.

The person was short, almost his own height and had deep black hair. His eyes were wide open as he listened to luhan talk. His elegant fingers wrapped around a can of soda. He was pretty and there was a sort of elegance in him and Baekhyun could say that the other was older than him, just like everybody elese in the pack.

As if sensing their eyes on him, the man turned and looked straight at Chanyeol, before walking towards him and enveloping him in a gentle hug.

" Kyungsoo - ah, you came today morning?" Chanyeol breifly hugged him back and let go. He was happy that their pack mate was back. He had been gone for far too long. 

" Yup. Around 11. They said you had gone out with someone, so we were just expcting you home anytime." Kyungsoo explained to the alpha. 

Baekhyun stood awkwardly next to chanyeol. The man, Kyungsoo just didn't seem to notice him, and he didn't want to interrupt him and Chanyeol. They were probably catching up after a long time, seeing that he himself had been in the house for a while now, and Kyungsoo had been away all that time.

And then, all of a sudden, The owl eyes were on him. They went over his form breifly before he was questioned.

" And you must be baekhyun? The others told me about you." He smiled at the omega.

Baekhyun shyly returned a smile and then, Chanyeol's arm was around him, properly introducing the two. Baekhyun told Kyungsoo about how he had heard about him and his fabulous cooking and was glad to finally have met him.

But kyungsoo didn't seem to be listening too well. From what baekhyun could understand, the owl eyes were looking at the arm around his shoulders and it made Baekhtun a little uncomfortable. It was a feeling no other member had given him yet.

The strange moment went unnoticed by the others and soon everyone was sitting on the couches and talking about al sorts of things, as some show played on the TV. It was like any other weekend again and Baekyun brushed things aside and laughed at Jongdae and Sehun's antics as usual.


 

Was this an abrubt ending? I'm not very sure... 

But there will be more, so stay tuned!!

Do drop comments or suggestions if you have any :D

Thanks for reading!!