The Swirl of Thoughts

Project: Cupid!

 

Project: Cupid!

Chapter 9: The Swirl of Thoughts


It was Sunday afternoon, a week after the latest Project: Cupid!’s shooting, and SNSD had no schedule for the day. While the majority of her group mates were out for another shopping spree, Yoona, Seohyun and Taeyeon decided to just enjoy the quiet Sunday in their comfortable dorm. The other two girls had chosen to accompany her watching the fully-edited latest episode of Project: Cupid! that had not been broadcasted (she got it from one of the staff). Truth be told, Yoona did not actually want to watch it at the moment, but she just needed to make sure how the latest episode looked like.

Thoughts ran wild in her head.

“Yah, Yoong. You and Donghae Oppa should make it more interesting, you know,” said Taeyeon as she munched on her sandwich. They were watching Donghae and her part of the recorded Tango dance. After the rather unruly Tango practice she had with Donghae prior to the real shooting, the two had unconsciously showed probably the most boring Tango ever. It had not been intentional, but she could still remember how they both practically only performed the very basic of the dance without any additional flirtation that had been present in the practice.

“Yoong?” Taeyeon called for her.

Yoona inhaled a deep breath before she gave the response to Taeyeon’s earlier comment. “Unnie, this is not that kind of show. If Donghae and I made it more interesting, we would lose.”

“Yeah…” the SNSD leader agreed. “You’re right. There seems to be no chemistry between you and Donghae Oppa anyway. It is far more interesting to watch Sunny and Eunhyuk Oppa together. Their interaction was intimate, but still awkward enough. Although not as awkward as your relationship with Yonghwa, Seohyun…” teased Taeyeon to the maknae.

Unnie!” complained Seohyun. Her WGM episodes with Yonghwa had ended months ago, yet they all still about it.

“But your awkwardness is the best, Seohyun. Say, why don’t you contact him again?”

Unnie, please…” begged the youngest SNSD member.

Inwardly, Yoona was relieved how the topic (and the object of the dorky leader’s bully) shifted to Seohyun. She felt bad for Seohyun, but a part of her believed that the maknae deserved it (with the way she somehow always sounded secretive of her actual relationship with Yonghwa).

“Ah, Oppa is calling,” Taeyeon announced as she looked up to her ringing cell phone and Seohyun was saved from further bullying. The leader gave a sheepish smile and excused herself to her own room to have more privacy. Taeyeon’s relationship with Leeteuk had been going very steady for the past four years. Yoona was always amazed on the way both of the leaders maintained their relationship despite their hectic and stressful schedule.

Unnie always found it funny to tease me, but when we try to back, she can always slip away easily…” complained the maknae.

“That’s because she is being honest with her own feeling. You should really learn from her,” spoke Yoona laughingly. Seohyun’s pout was so cute that she could not help but to pinch the uptight maknae’s chubby cheek.

“I’m being honest,” defended the younger girl. “I…honestly don’t know how I feel about him.”

“Yonghwa Oppa is a nice guy. And I think he adapts himself very well to you.”

Seohyun nodded earnestly. “He does. But the thing about a variety show is… I don’t really understand the limit. Was he being nice to me because we were on screen? We were only a virtual couple and it’s hard to draw the line between the reality and the make-believe.”

Yoona was mildly stunned as she realized how Seohyun’s dilemma was also related to her confusion nowadays. “But…I believe that Yonghwa Oppa was and is being honest with you all the time. I’m quite sure that he is genuinely a nice guy.”

“That, I don’t doubt,” admitted Seohyun. “He is a sincere man, I trust him. What I don’t trust…or at least…what I’m still not sure of is how he actually considers our relationship as. Is it just another job to him? I don’t know. And mostly, I don’t even know myself whether I consider it as a job too or not.”

The two girls were silenced as they were drawn deep in their thoughts. Yoona believed that she was not (or at least, not yet) in Seohyun’s state at the moment. She still considered Project: Cupid! show just as another job, just like the drama she used to star in. Well, the different thing was that she was being herself and Donghae was also being himself. Scripts were not present, but hey, it was not her first time being in a variety show, was it?

“The thing about virtual love variety show like this…” Seohyun suddenly spoke up again, breaking Yoona’s trails of thoughts. “…is that somehow…it manipulates peoples’ feeling to the point that you can’t differ which one is your real feeling and which one you actually do for the sake of pleasing the audience. It’s…cruel sometimes…”

Yoona gazed at her youngest dongsaeng worriedly. She could sense Seohyun’s turmoil of emotion and how she had been locking it up inside for the past few months. Yoona promised to herself not to on the Yonghwa issue in the future (at least, until the girl finally discovered her real feelings). She could understand Seohyun’s feeling, but on the other hand, she did not want the youngest member to be that skeptical.

“Don’t let this affect you, though, Unnie. Probably it’s just me being too naïve. I have never fallen in love before, so I admit I get scared of it sometimes,” Seohyun said as she smiled. “I honestly think that you and Donghae Oppa would make such a cute couple.”

Yoona nodded slowly and displayed a wide grin again. She did not want Seohyun to be worried of her too. “Don’t worry, Seohyun. I’ll make sure to know my limit.”


With the new release of SNSD album, the shooting for Project: Cupid! was delayed again. Besides, Jae Won had decided both the “Swimming” episode and the “Tango” episode to be broadcasted in two episodes respectively –making the show had four spare episodes in store. In a way, Yoona was glad with this. Not only that she had the chance to rest more but she also had more chance to sort out her own feelings and confusion.

And without Lee Donghae around, it became easier. She did not avoid him on purpose though. However, for once, she was grateful for their conflicting schedules.

The first few days after the almost-kiss incident in the Tango practice (which, thank goodness, was never recorded), Yoona had been feeling pretty weird. Her heart skipped a beat on random occasions when the face of Lee Donghae just sneaked into her mind (and she already went to a cardiologist –her heart was working normally, thank you). She had felt like a school girl who was torn in between wanting to grin all day or to sulk up the whole time.

But with SNSD’s hectic schedule and the passing time, she gained back her comfort and her stability. Now, the thought of Donghae or even the image of him in her mind did not make her all fuzzy inside anymore. She could claim that now she perceived Donghae the way she had usually regarded him as: a very nice older brother with the charming smile. Only that.

Yoona was pretty sure that she was not in denial either. Denial people would not admit that they were affected.

She, on the other hand, could admit it honestly that Donghae had affected her. Yes, he had made her blush, he had made her grinning wide like an idiot, and he certainly had made her heart beat faster. But she was sure that she was not the only girl. Millions of ELF all around the world, numerous actresses/female idols that had interacted with him, and perhaps even random girls he met on the street, must have felt the same. Lee Donghae was simply a very, very charming man. He always had that kind of effect on girls and Yoona was not embarrassed to say that she was not an exception.

It was just a simple crush, as easy as that. One that would fade away soon –if not already, with such inhuman SNSD schedule like this. Yoona had had crush on her co-partner in dramas in the past. Heck, she even still remembered how Taecyeon used to make her like a silent silly girl some times ago.  And to be honest, her crush with Taecyeon had been a lot worse.

With all these thoughts affirmed, she found it easy to face him again.

The opportunity came in one of the company’s dinner. SME was celebrating their mid-year success and Lee Soo Man invited all the idols and staffs to a fancy dinner in one of Seoul’s finest hotel. Yoona had her dinner and was then standing by herself on the hotel’s luxurious corridor.

“Yoona-sshi,” Donghae greeted.

Yoona looked at his direction and noticed how good his dark grey tux looked on him. His brown hair was disheveled and he had his famous boyish smile on his face. Yoona smiled and complimented him honestly, “Oppa, you look dashing tonight.”

“And how do I usually look every other day then?”

“Just as good.”

He chuckled. “You too. You surely are a sight tonight,” he commented as his eyes gave a quick check to her backless, black dress. The girl was holding a glass of champagne and that night she looked nothing like the usual careless, tomboy girl. The young girl had morphed herself into an elegant young lady. “What are you doing alone here?”

“Yul is in the restroom.” She tilted her head to her left. “It’s too crowded there and I decided to just wait here.”

“Hm,” he mumbled incoherently as he took more steps and rested his back on the hotel’s wall beside her. “How have you been doing?” he started again.

“Tired,” she answered truthfully. “With the new album and such.”

“You should take care of your health more,” he advised in concern. “Eat and sleep well.”

Yoona was about to reply but then the girly voice she knew to well spoke. “Omo, sorry I took too long, Yoong. My makeup bag fell down and I had difficulties to –oh! Hi, Donghae Oppa! How have you been doing?” greeted Kwon Yuri cheerfully as she waved her hand to him.

“I’m doing pretty well, Yuri-sshi. How have you been?”

“Ah, you know, with our new album…” Yuri sighed, clearly expressing her exhaustion. “But it is fun though.”

“I’m glad,” spoke Donghae.

Yoona nodded in agreement as she then linked her arm with Yuri. “Well then, Donghae Oppa, we’ll be going –“

“Ah, wait, Yoona-sshi,” Donghae called as he instinctively pulled the girl’s hand. He realized his action and quickly let go of his grip. “I want to talk to you about something.”

Yuri’s eyes glinted in mischief. The iest SNSD member pushed Yoona away from her and announced, “Well, then. I’ll be going first. Take all your time, Yoong, Donghae Oppa,” she said with a teasing wink to the two. Yoona sighed at her best friend’s antics while Donghae only put up his usual smile.

With Yuri gone, Yoona looked up to see Donghae again. “What is it, Oppa?”

Donghae gazed at their surrounding and decided that he needed a quieter place. “Let us not talk here,” he said as he signaled her to follow him. They were walking through the corridor, passing some corridors, until they finally arrived at a vacant, small balcony. He risked himself a scandal, he knew (with him dragging Yoona to a deserted place like this). But at the very least, the hotel was being fully guarded by SM’s bodyguards to ensure no paparazzi or fans enter. And Donghae himself was pretty certain that nobody saw him enter the balcony with Yoona.

The night sky was clear, but just like any other big cities, stars were not visible. The moon was well hidden behind the clouds. It was a dull night, but it was alright. It wasn’t as if Donghae needed it to be a romantic one or whatsoever. One thing that he regretted though, was that he forgot the fact that the night breeze could be pretty chilly and that Yoona was wearing a sleeveless dress. Automatically, he took off his grey suit and slump it on her shoulders.

She murmured a soft gratitude. Moments passed and she waited for Donghae to speak up. Yoona could pretty much guess what he wanted to talk about and she was pretty prepared herself. She waited some more, but Donghae still gazed up to the view of Seoul in night. It was only when Yoona took a sip of her champagne that he started his speech.

“I haven’t properly apologized for what I did during our last Tango practice.”

“You have apologized, Donghae Oppa,” she reminded him.

“Yes, but not properly,” he added. He gave a frustrated groan. “There will never be a proper apology. What I did to you was very inappropriate…”

Yoona smiled. Back then, after the almost-kiss incident, he had gone into an apology rampage. And although she had told him countless time that it was alright, at that time, she had not been in her calm mind either. But now, she was certain that her head was clear and she could react upon this equally as well. “You just got carried away with the situation, that’s all.”

He was taken aback. What she said was indeed true, but that did not make him any less guilty. “But, Yoona-sshi –“

“Don’t worry, Oppa. Nothing really happened anyway.”

His dark eyes stared back at her in honest confusion. “Nothing…happened?”

Yoona laughed at the sight of his expression. Donghae was probably not used with girls who did not look affected with his charm. The fact that he almost kissed her and that she showed no panicked reaction probably hurt his ego in a way. She decided to clarify her statement. “Don’t worry. You don’t and you’ll never lose your charm, Oppa. My heart was honestly beating very fast that time and I fought the blush very hard,” the Im girl answered truthfully.

Donghae looked relieved and worried at the same time. Relieved that his charm still somehow worked, but on the other hand, he was worried that Yoona would consider him as a heartless, uncaring playboy –which, he could certainly claim: he was not. But when the true message from her latest sentence sank in, he blinked his eyes in disbelief. “W-what?”

“I had a minor crush on you, I guess,” Yoona said with a wide grin.

Before Donghae could let himself feel flattered, he silently reminded himself that Yoona had talked in past indication. “And…now?” he asked uncertainly, hoping that it would not be too blunt of him to ask that way.

She deliberated for a while before replying. “Perhaps it still slightly lingers.” Yoona shrugged casually.

Donghae was taken a back and this was shown well. His eyes widened and his lips parted open in disbelief. Yoona had just confessed that she had a crush on him. There were several things to be underlined: First, she was not an ELF; Second, they were not on screen; Third, this was Yoona! The independent, carefree Yoona who had been involved in many romantic dramas…

Yoona laughed when she saw his bewildered expression. She hit him playfully. “Donghae Oppa. It’s just a crush. Don’t worry, it will wear off soon. It’s not like I’m going to be your obsessive stalker or anything…”

Oh, Donghae thought mentally. Of course. Yoona was Yoona. The very same reason about her being an independent, carefree girl who was involved in many romantic dramas only accentuated the fact that whatever she was feeling at the moment was only something usual for her. There was nothing special with their friendship and certainly there was nothing that would make him extraordinary. It was just a simple crush, and just like what she said, it would wear off eventually.

Right, that’s how it is, Donghae assured himself. He gave a small smile to Yoona and fought the funny feeling inside of him.

Somehow, he did not want her crush on him to wear off soon.

To be Continued


A/n: yeah, I like to torture the reader. No meaningful skinship here, haha. Thank you for reading!