Myeongdong

Project: Cupid!


Project: Cupid!

Chapter 4: Myeongdong


 “Good afternoon, everyone! This is Leeteuk...”

“Heechul.”

“Sooyoung!”

“Hyoyeon…!”

“We are Project: Cupid!” happily announced the lead MC. Audience clapped and Leeteuk resumed his talk. “This is the 2nd episode already and we are pleased with the responses we had! Please continue to show love and support for this show!”

“Yah, and both teams have shown enough love even in the first episode, eh?” claimed Hyoyeon. “Wonder which team is rated the most romantic one for the first episode…”

“That’s why, Hyoyeon-sshi, we’re going to reveal the result for the first episode. Based on the audience’s polling, the team which is considered to be successfully matchmade in the first episode is…”


Yoona gasped in surprise once she opened the artist dressing room and found a guy already standing in front of her, his bowed face slightly covered by two hands clasped together apologetically. “Sorry…” the guy said and finally lifted his head. A boyishly-smiling Donghae was present.

“Why?” questioned Yoona as they walked together through the corridor towards the studio. Although for the Yoonhae and Eunsun team the filming of the second episode of Project: Cupid! would be conducted outdoor, they all still had to gather around in the studio to listen to what the PD said.

“We lost in the first episode,” said Donghae. “And I think it’s because I ask you to lend me your shoulders when I sleep. The audience voted for us and that made the Eunsun team the winning matchmaking pair.”

“Well, it’s only for the first episode,” said Yoona optimistically. She had discovered that surprisingly there were a lot of fans who supported her with Donghae–even prior to the beginning of the show. Donghae sleeping on her shoulders might have added some bonus points, but she knew that the audience already liked them together to begin with. Their lost in the first episode was predictable, really.

“And I also want to apologize for…er… falling asleep on you like that. I was being inconsiderate. I’m sorry.  I –”

Oppa, you could seriously stop apologizing now,” reprimanded the younger girl. Sometimes it puzzled her the way Donghae mind worked. Surely merely laying his head on her shoulder was nothing to be compared to the countless of other ‘skinships’ he showed to the other female fans or other female actress. She did not know why he had to fret about it so much.

Yoona was sure that his nervousness had nothing to do with him liking her or whatsoever. That particular oppa of her was only being charming (as usual) and affectionate, but he knew that he treated girls all the same.

Oh, well, perhaps not all.

The unconscious mention of her unnie’s name yesterday when he was falling asleep on her gave her the clear proof how that guy was still having difficulties in moving on.

In the end, Yoona concluded that as charismatic Donghae looked like on the exterior, he was only a timid guy inside.

“You are quite something, Oppa.

“Hm? What do you mean?”

“Nothing,” she grinningly said.

For the second episodes, the staffs and the teams were assigned to Myeongdong, one of Seoul’s largest shopping areas. The two teams had been rather worried for the choice of location (after all, two Super Junior members and two SNSD members combined together in one of the busiest area in Seoul would definitely attract attention of fans), but the show’s staffs were experienced enough not to let any hinder to distract the filming.

The four idols were told to eat together in one of the restaurant in the area. Cameras were set around their table and the filming began.

“So… what did you guys do alone in that Ferris Wheel gondola? Two and a half hour locked inside together, there must be something going on…” teased Sunny. She actually already knew what was occurring from the re-run of the first episode, but she wanted to hear it straight from the pretty boy and girl pair in front of her.

“Ah, nothing much. Donghae Oppa fell asleep and I read the magazine. There’s nothing interesting going on. Honestly, Unnie, you should tell us how you spend the lovely afternoon with Eunhyuk Oppa instead,” the Im girl teased back.

Her partner was quick in adapting. “I watched the recorded episode, Hyukjae. My favorite part is when you helped Sunny who got slipped on the water arcade. That part was very cute.”

Oppa, don’t forget the part when they rode the carousel and had to ride the same horse together…” said Yoona.

“Of course. And the part in the haunted house where they –“

“Yah, yah,” interrupted Eunhyuk. “You two are the losing team. How come you are treating us like one?”

“Because victory will be ours soon, anyway,” said Donghae.

Eunhyuk was about to retort back, but a waiter came and gave them two blue envelopes to each team. They opened the envelope and found two cards inside each envelope. One was blank, but one was filled with order from the PD.

“Write your second challenge to your opponent team on the blank card and gave it to them at the same time,” Sunny read the content out loud. Inside the envelope, a small ballpoint was inserted. She grabbed it and began to ponder. It was pretty hard for Sunny to strategize at such position, since her targets were seating less than three feets away from them and she would not want to spill them the beans. But on the other hand, she needed to discuss it with Eunhyuk. Almost spontaneously, the SNSD energy pill grabbed Eunhyuk’s jacket to pull him down and whisper something to the guy’s ear.

Yoona’s and Donghae’s chuckles forced Sunny to return her attention to them again.

Instead of whispering to each other, the Yoonhae team had decided to communicate in writing using the back of the PD’s Order Card. 

“Don’t copy our method, Unnie. Just go back and whisper back your words to Eunhyuk Oppa like you just did,” smilingly said Yoona.

Sunny only glared at her but she then dragged Eunhyuk away from their hearing range. This left Donghae and Yoona more advantage to discuss their plan verbally. And finally, after 5 minutes, Yoona finished scribbling down their team’s challenge to the Eunsun team. It was not long until Eunhyuk and Sunny returned back to their table with the challenge card filled out.

Both teams did not waste any time as they quickly exchanged the cards. Yoona read in silence the challenge from Eunhyuk and Sunny:

Go walk around Myeongdong to shop for something (i.e. couple rings)that you two have to wear until the very last episode of the show.

Before the actress girl could say any comment, Sunny’s screech had broken up the silence. “Yah, Yoona! Donghae Oppa! How could you two write something like this for us?!”

Walk around Myeondong only with the camera around and with no bodyguards/staffs’ protection. 

The challenge was simple, but the consequence was huge.

Eunhyuk paid more attention to the smaller text written in Donghae’s handwriting.

P.S. to Hyukjae: And if the fans run after you guys, you have to protect Sunny-sshi at all cost.

Both Eunhyuk and Sunny’s eyes glared at their opponent in disbelief. “Yah. You think this is a Korean drama or something? How do you expect us to do this?”

“Is this even allowed?” asked Sunny as she silently glanced to Jae Won, the PD. Unfortunately for the Eunsun team, Jae Won only grinned and raised his thumb in approval. Sunny sighed in defeat. “You guys have no mercy.”

Smiles and grins were never absent from the Yoonhae team. As they finally finished the last bite of their lunch and finished their drink, the two announced their leaves. After all, they had to do the challenge themselves. A trivial thing compared to the challenge they had given to the Eunsun team.

As the door to the small restaurant swung close, Sunny and Eunhyuk were still rooted to their seats –their gazes were vacant.
Perhaps it was really cruel of them, but both Yoona and Donghae could not suppress their laughter as they watched the sight of hysteric fans chasing over Sunny and Eunhyuk. The Yoonhae team was inside the CD store some blocks away from the restaurant they had left Sunny and Eunhyuk at. The view of the Myeongdong Street from the inside of the CD store was clear enough for them to see their panicked opponents.

Donghae’s moment of fun slowly turned to worry though and he expressed this well. “Is it really alright for Sunny-sshi to be chased like that? Eunhyuk is a guy and he is really fast, but I’m afraid Sunny-sshi will have difficulties…”

“Don’t worry,” assured Yoona. “Unnie is the fourth fastest runner in SNSD. And I believe that Eunhyuk Oppa would not let all the riots hurt her.” Her eyes softened at the picture of Eunhyuk held tightly onto Sunny’s arm as he helped to increase her speed. Just add a nice soundtrack and Yoona thought the Eunsun team would make a pretty picture like in those Korean romance dramas.

Donghae led their way out of the CD store to enter the next shop. “Now, what should we do to fulfill their challenge?”

The doe-eyed girl glanced at the accessories shop just next to the CD store. “We can just buy matching accessories. That’s what Yonghwa-sshi did with Seohyun in their WGM episodes,” she said without giving it much of thoughts. After all, Yoona was a girl with practical mind. Perhaps it was one of the reasons why guys who had courted her in the past never really made it. She might not be the cold-hearted girl or the totally-clueless girl, but melting her heart had proven to be a difficult task. The girl just treated guys the same and it was not that she did not believe in romance, but it was simply that she could not be manipulated by it.

Yoona spotted a pair of matching rings for boys and girls. The design was really simple and in fact there weren’t plenty of ornaments on the silver rings. She was actually not the accessories type, but if she had to choose one, it would be something like this. Donghae’s keen perspective helped him to notice the rings that Yoona had an eye on. Suavely, he picked the objects from the display table and examined them. “You like these?”

The cameraman behind them zoomed in for better image. Yoona took a step aside to let the staff did his work. She then gave her quick comment. “They’re simple enough.”

“Alright. We’ll take these,” he affirmed as he walked to the cashier. There was no queue so the transaction could be conducted efficiently. Donghae was about to grab his wallet but Yoona’s hand stopped him.

“We’ll split the bills. I’ll pay for my part. Ah, how much is it?” asked Yoona to the cashier.

The female cashier mentioned a certain amount of money and Donghae quickly handed the money even before Yoona could take her wallet from her bag. He grinned casually upon noticing the frown on Yoona’s face. “The guy pays, Yoona-sshi.”

“But this is not a date. And in case you forget, Oppa, this show is the exact opposite of the other reality shows. If you keep on being this gentlemanly-like, we’ll lose.”

Donghae chuckled. The cashier handed him the small wrapped box with two rings inside. He walked out of the store and Yoona trailed behind him. He spoke again when she was in ear distance. “I don’t care what kind of show it is. It is not my principle to let a girl pay in such situation. What? You don’t like such courtesy?”

She smiled slowly. “It’s nice. But most times, I think it’s not necessary. Although, of course, Donghae Oppa, thank you very much.”

Mr. Fish nodded and opened the box to reveal two rings. “Judging you, I don’t think you’ll see it necessary if I slide the ring into your finger?” he asked. Yoona beamed and took the smaller part of the ring on her own. Donghae followed her action before giving the box to Yoona. “I think I understand,” Donghae said.

“Understand what?”

“Why did you say we were not an easy project for the Eunsun team.”

Yoona looked up to the older guy but her attention was quickly diverted when the PD shouted.

“Cut!”


To Be Continued


A/n:

I know that there aren’t many Yoonhae interactions here and I know that Eunsun challenges are more thrilling than Yoonhae. And although this will be a Yoonhae story not an Eunsun story, Yoonhae’s lack of interaction are entirely on purpose. *evil author* Don’t worry, the time will come…