How to Save a Life

The Little Mermaid

How to Save a Life

 
 
 

A warm day in the summer season brought the boys of MBLAQ out of the city for a peaceful day. They decided to travel to Jeju Island and rent a sailing yacht for the weekend, hoping it will help them clear their minds and push the stressful life away for the next two days.

 

As for G.O, he was still in his own little bubble, busying his mind with whatever was popping out. He appreciated the fresh air he got to breathe but just not enough from what the others could see.

 

“Yah, G.O! Smile a little would you?”

 

“Huh?”

 

From his stand on the edge of the boat, he turned around to see a volley ball coming his way and quickly dodged it before it could hit his face, letting it fall in the water. “Yah! What was that for?” From the water, he looked back at Seungho who was ready to laugh at his friend.

 

“Stop thinking for a second! You’re putting us all in a bad mood.”

 

“Sorry…”

 

With a sigh, Seungho walked closer to his friend and stood by his side while G.O went back to look at the ocean. “What are you thinking about?”

 

“If I’m going to die alone or not.”

 

“Yah~ What are you talking about? Is it because of -”

 

“No, not because of her. It’s just… I feel like there’s something missing… I feel empty. I know it’s stupid to say but -”

 

“It’s not stupid. I get it; I know what you mean… We’re the same age, remember? We’re bound to feel this way since we’re almost reaching our 30’s and, you know, it would be nice to have someone to settle down with.”

 

“Yea…”

 

“Look, how about we head back inside and prepare lunch? I’m kind of getting hungry here.”

 

The younger one chuckled while he had his shoulders embraced by Seungho’s arm as he lead the way back to the other boys as they were lying in the sun, napping through the afternoon.

 

 

“He’s lonely, huh? Just like me…”

 

I turned my back from the rock to discretely look back at the human as he was speaking to, what I could assume, a friend. I could hear him speak and he seemed so sad, it broke my heart.

 

I never thought that human could look so depressed. I've always thought they were happy people since they have love, but I guess not everybody knows how it feels…

 

I sighed, suddenly feeling my mood going down but it didn’t stop my heart to continuously beat fast. I gave the boat one last look before diving back into the water, swimming fast to my way back to the kingdom before the sun starts to set.

 

I didn’t really need another lecture right now.

 

 

It barely took me a few minutes and I was back inside my room without a hitch.

 

All I could think about was the sad human. He looked so angelic, it was hard to get his face out of my head. Just thinking about him, the tingle in my stomach was acting up suddenly making me nervous. I tried to stifle a smile but my lips just spread across my face as I bit my bottom lip, suddenly feeling like a little excited girl all over again.

 

Laying across my shell bed, I wrapped my arms around me while closing my eyes, letting myself imagine some impossible encounter with that human.

 

My smile just grew wider.

 

I felt so silly thinking about something like this but I couldn’t help myself; it was hard to ignore this feeling.

 

“Syrena?”

 

Oh crap… What now?

 

“Yes father?”

 

Looking at the entrance, my father was standing there, holding his trident in his hand while the other one was pushing the curtains to the side so he could come in to my room. I sat up and waited to see what he wanted from me as he suspiciously looked around before looking back at me.

 

“I just wanted to wish you goodnight…”

 

“Oh well, goodnight.”

 

He sighed and came closer to me until he sat next to me, on my bed. “Sweetie, I’m sorry about today but you know how worried I get when I hear that you’re being careless.”

 

“I’m not being careless, father. Trust me.”

 

“Still, you shouldn’t wander off; there’s a lot of dangerous things out there and I don’t want anything bad to happen to you.”

 

“Yea, yea…”

 

I was looking down at my tail, barely paying attention to what he was saying to me. I was still focused on the human of today; I felt bad for my father but yet, not so much…

 

I heard him sigh as he got up and wished me goodnight again before disappearing.

 

Sorry daddy…’

 

 

 

He was brought out of his sleep with a faint voice, singing a sweet melody.

 

It was so far away and yet, he could hear it as if it was next door.

 

He got out of his bed and walked out of the little room cabin he was sharing with the rest of the members as he quietly made his way out and walked outside. He gave a quick look around, trying to properly hear where the feminine voice was coming from and slowly started to walk towards the edge of the boat.

 

The small breeze was softly hitting against his body as he deeply breathed to let it in. He walked around until he saw something on the rocks, not far away.

 

He squinted his eyes as he leaned closer with his hands placed over the rails, moving his upper body up front to properly see what was on that rock. He could hear the voice more clearly as it kept singing and it started to affect his heart as he felt it beat rapidly, out of the blue.

 

At the same time, a strange sensation was filling up his stomach; a tingly feeling that he hasn’t felt before. He slowly walked towards the back of the boat to see if he could get a better look of what woke him up. He was so caught up into that voice that he started to quietly sing; a melody harmonizing with the feminine voice that made his heart beat unexpectedly.

 

At his feet, he felt something softly hitting his ankle making him look down as he stopped singing. Right there, the volley ball from earlier was back on the ground of the yacht. He picked it up and frowned as he looked back at the ocean in front of him, rolling the ball in his hands.

 

He throws it back into the water, towards the rocks. He waits for a moment before he hears the voice stop and just seconds later, the ball comes back towards him. He dodges it as he lets it fall back on the boat and hears the melody back again, closer than ever.

 

He wanted to yell and ask who was out there but his voice got stuck in his throat. He ruffled his hair and started walking back inside but stopped half way through, not capable of distancing himself from the mysterious harmony.

 

 

On the other side, Syrena was laying over the same pillar rock from earlier, letting her black hair spread across it as she held into her hands a little shell and had it against her chest while looking up at the night sky, quietly singing.

 

She never sang before today.

 

She didn’t even know she could sing.

 

Something inside her pushed her to create a random melody that only made her smile as her heart thumped strongly against her chest.

 

She heard a light splash right next to her making her jump and stop her singing only to see the same ball from earlier floating next to her. She picked it up and slid herself off the rock and back in the water, still in hiding. Tilting her head to the side, she saw the boy looking her way and all she could do was throw the ball back at him, lightly giggling in the process.

 

She went back to her singing as she rested her back against the pillar and grabbed onto the shell before looking back at the boy and throwing it against the boat.

 

She wanted to see his face again since she didn’t know how long it will last. Even though it was night, she could still clearly see him with the faint light coming from the boat. She let out a sigh as she rested her head against the rock and hugged herself, somehow wishing he could be the one hugging her.

 

‘How can you be doing this to me when I don’t even know you?’

 

She looked at him as he was about to walk away but the next thing that she saw was him slipping out of the boat and dive straight into the water. She gasped out in shock and swam straight to him as she saw him drown further down the water.

 

Once she reached him, she grabbed onto his waist and tried her best to pull him out despite how heavy he was. Once their heads were back to the surface, she looked at him but he was still unconscious making her worry even more.

 

“What do I do now?”

 

She could feel him slip out of her grasp and held him against her as tight as she could. She swam towards the back of the boat after she saw a way of climbing up. Once she reached it, she pushed his body over it and climb onto it herself where she rested the boy’s head on her lap.

 

She pushes the strands of hair that were covering his face and gently his cheeks as she let herself admire his facial features.

 

‘Such a prince like human…’

 

Her gaze landed on his lips as she bit her own and leaned in closer until she was hovering above them before planting a small kiss.

 

In the next second, she saw his eyes flutter open making her suddenly panic as she tried to push him away from her so she could dive back into the water and as she did so, she didn’t see that he saw her leave the moment she jumped, leaving her tail to be the last thing he saw after having purple eyes staring at him.

 

He coughed out the water that he swallowed when he fell and looked back to where he last saw the creature.

 

“Yah! Byunghee!”

 

He heard quick footsteps coming towards him and turned his head around to see the boys coming to help him as they lift him up back to his feet. His arms were both around two of them as he stood in the middle while he was coughing again, still in shock.  Seungho grabbed onto his face to look in his eyes and see if he was okay to which the younger one said that he was.

 

“What the hell happened to you?”

 

“I-I don’t know… I was looking at the w-water and the next thing I knew, I was pulled out…”

 

“Damn it, you’re bleeding.”

 

A small trail of blood was running down the side of his forehead but he couldn’t care less as all he could see was those same purple orbs looking back at him. He didn’t know who it belonged to but he couldn’t be more thankful to have his life saved by that same creature.

 

“It saved me…”

 

“What are you talking about?” The four boys looked at him with estranged looks on their faces as they watched their friend trying to form words to speak out.

 

“Something… or someone… saved my life…”

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:

Whooaaa *o*

Thanks a lot for the subscriptions, the early comments and especially for the upvote, I reaaaaaaally appreciate it <3

Hopefully the rest of the story won't disapoint >.<